New Guy

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello all from North Carolina. Great place for finding what’s out there today. All I need is a 2 or 3 camera system for my home. I plan on using BI. Although it seems a bit complicated with your help I think it will work out. My biggest concern is the main roadway is only about 40 feet from my front porch. Can BI be set not to record everything that travels on this roadway? Thanks

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
All I need is a 2 or 3 camera system for my home...
Uh huh... we've heard that a few times. ; )

Yes, you can set up detection in various ways to trigger only on areas that you want to cover or not. Can be a little of a challenge in some cases given some views but usually between camera placement and how you set things up, can be done.

Last edited:

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
:welcome:

Plan on more cameras. I planned on 2 or 3 cameras and figured 4 at the max when I came here, I have 6 mounted and 3 have not had time to mount.

BI can pretty much do anything, the configuration options are outstanding, and the advanced configuring can be done as time permits as it is pretty amazing just running at default settings.

Setting so the road is not recorded is pretty basic once you get it up and running.

Make sure you read & study the Cliff Notes found in the Wiki at the top of the page.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
:welcome:

Plan on more cameras. I figured 4 max when I came here, I have 6 mounted and 3 have not had time to mount.

BI can pretty much do anything, the configuration options are outstanding, and the advanced configuring can be done as time permits as it is pretty amazing just running at default settings.

Setting so the road is not recorded is pretty basic once you get it up and running.
Thanks, I am retired and have very limited funds and cameras are not my first choice where I need to spend money. However things are changing in this country very rapidly and my wife needs to feel secure in our home. Just thé fact I’m setting up this system for her security makes her feel at ease.

Reaction score
Can BI be set not to record everything that travels on this roadway?
I am interpreting this question to mean you do not want an alert to be triggered by cars on the road, not that you do not want them recorded. If you truly do not want them recorded, then do not have the road in the FOV. If you mean alerts, then you make sure that the alert rules do not include the road.

Advise you to record 24/7 AKA continuous. See the threads below:

In both of these cases, if the cams only recorded on alerts, important information would not have been recorded. Having video of areas not on your immediate property can be very important to understanding the situation.

However things are changing in this country very rapidly and my wife needs to feel secure in our home. Just thé fact I’m setting up this system for her security makes her feel at ease.
Also, it is more important to have an alarm and use it than it is to have cams. Cams are great, but they rarely will alert you to danger like an alarm will.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, I am retired and have very limited funds and cameras are not my first choice where I need to spend money. However things are changing in this country very rapidly and my wife needs to feel secure in our home. Just thé fact I’m setting up this system for her security makes her feel at ease.
Just my opinion, look at Dahua cameras, more specifically EmpireTech rebrands Dahua for greater savings, the 2MP and 4MP cameras are fantastic for the money spent. The 5442 in particular in the 3.6 MM is kind of the Swiss Army Knife of cameras IMHO. This camera can be bought for $149 give or take, it looks super clean on the Dahua PFB204W mount which runs another $15 - $20 give or take. The Dahua varifocals allow you to dial in the correct focal length which is very handy when you are getting started. My first Cam was a Dahua 2231 varifocal as per the forum common recommendation for a first camera, it has been running 24/7 for two years with zero issues. These run around $129 I believe.

Edit to add, the Ipcamtalk store has the 2MP Dahua mentioned above for $125

Last edited: