New here ! Advice on pc?

c4$p3r

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey new to the forums and I have read the blue iris hardware recommendations as well as multiple forum topics on the subject just looking for some opinions.

Planning on running 5-6 2-4mp cameras into a wall mounted server rack with patch panel and Poe switch looking for any options on best pc to buy for the job the pc will only serve as my camera server.

Is a refurbished i5 or i7 6gen+ optiplex or elitedesk still the go to ? Or are there better options out there?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey new to the forums and I have read the blue iris hardware recommendations as well as multiple forum topics on the subject just looking for some opinions.

Planning on running 5-6 2-4mp cameras into a wall mounted server rack with patch panel and Poe switch looking for any options on best pc to buy for the job the pc will only serve as my camera server.

Is a refurbished i5 or i7 6gen+ optiplex or elitedesk still the go to ? Or are there better options out there?

I5-6500
Works for me

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Anything similar will work. Lots of the 4 and 6 gen Dell/HP are returns off of lease to businesses so plenty of them out there cheap.

c4$p3r

n3wb
Reaction score
For the amount of cameras I plan on running is it gonna be a good thing to get the sixth generation for the quick sync capabilities or it'll be fine with a lesser generation. I plan on putting the computer in a server rack so the CPU utilization being as low as possible would be a plus.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i would recommend going with a 6th generation i5 i7 computer as it supports h.265 graphics quicksync processing, with 16 GB memory , a 120 GB SSD for the C drive and a 4TB WD purple drive for video storage (or larger)

I use an older I7-4790 4th generation processor, but all my cameras are running H.264. I have 13 cameras running at 700 MP/Sec total, using substreams on the cameras for motion processing, it runs at 10-20% cpu.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, go with the 6th gen if buying something now. If you had or found an old 4th gen it would work fine.

You can do better on price if you hunt but if you want something now and easy, Dell Refurbished has a some of the more rare, larger Mini Towers 6th gen i5 on sale now for $234, 8th gen i5 for ~$250 shipped with code NEWYEAR2021 (45% off $399 and up, 31% off $398 or less) :

Some other 4th gen, etc., there too.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

c4$p3r

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much for everyone's help idk why I can read through as many tutorials and pages but it's always people's personal experience and knowledge that helps me make a decision lol

How long is that NEWYEAR2021code at dell good for ?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Says expires 1/4 @ 9:00 am CST.

They run sales all the time and things come and go depending on what they have and how quickly things sell. Better or worse deals depending on the time. The harder part is finding what you want at a good price when you want it. The Mini Towers aren't as common there. Mostly desktops and tiny systems since they're reselling off-lease business machines and that's what most are. Not as much drive space in those. The HP has an advantage in the smaller desktops. Again you probably can do a little better on price but that's easy and usually can find something good if you keep watching it. The i7-6700 7040 Tower with 16 GB, 256 NVMe, 1 TB drive that I got for BI was $265 when they had one of their better sales but that would be relatively rare to find. Later gen i7s at a good price go fast.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i would recommend going with a 6th generation i5 i7 computer as it supports h.265 graphics quicksync processing, with 16 GB memory , a 120 GB SSD for the C drive and a 4TB WD purple drive for video storage (or larger)

I use an older I7-4790 4th generation processor, but all my cameras are running H.264. I have 13 cameras running at 700 MP/Sec total, using substreams on the cameras for motion processing, it runs at 10-20% cpu.
How do you use sub streams only for motion processing? My pc runs about 40% with a i5 4590 with 100% at one cam playback, looking to decrease

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

When all else fails, use the search tool in the upper right and/or read the help file in BI.