New here, looking for cameras and POE switch

Howar

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking for 8 bullet cameras with good color night vision (75'?) to watch my house, driveway, and porch.

I was thinking of 8 of these
IPC-HFW5831E-ZE

Would I be better mixing cameras (I intend to have a lot of overlap of field of view) Some cameras optimized for daytime and some for night? Some ambient light from a street light.

How do sell and ship to the USA?

Howard

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Why do you want bullets? They attract bugs and spiders as well as becoming blinded in rain/snow when their IR is on. Stick to turrets or use a separate IR light source. Looking at the minimum lux for color, .02 lux at 1/30 shutter speed, you will be sorely disappointed. The image will be grainy and motion will be smeared. 2MP is still the best camera for night time use and will support color in minimum lighting where an 8MP just won't provide a usable image.

I'd suggest you read the Cliff Notes in the Wiki at the top of every page in the blue command bar. Contact Andy at Empire Technology for quality service and good pricing, plus he guarantees what he sells. He has a thread here and his email address is in the Wiki, or you can PM him as well.

forced color.JPG

This is a quick screen grab from the config page of a 2231R forcing color. You can see from the time stamp it's about 7:30 here and this image wouldn't really provide much usable information versus back and white with a little IR for fill. There is a street light about 150 feet away which is producing the "hot spot" center left side. A color camera capable of true color at night is rather expensive, as in over 1K.

new_night.JPG

Same camera at night with no IR.

Howar

n3wb
Reaction score
I thought/think bullets were appropriate for ease of mounting... Here is what I am trying to protect. Very small yard, tight houses. One car is always in the driveway (motorcycle/bicycles take up 1/2). Street light is on the pole in front of yard. I am trying to avoid poor quality/useless images. If I am going to go through the effort, I would like to get the ability to recognize faces. Heck, the neighborhood would probably be thrilled with a license plate recognition camera due to all the package thefts.

Blue Iris, some sort of remote viewing and push notifications. I would put the POE switch in the garage to make the cable runs short/easy and then back to household router. I will focus on network security. The wiki/cliff notes are amazing!
IMG_0593.jpg IMG_0592.jpg IMG_0591.jpg IMG_0590.jpg
The street light is just to the right of the last photo.

I have NO experience with cameras, other than seeing many blurry photos from friends begging for help identifying thieves.

Howar

n3wb
Reaction score
Bullets are no easier to mount than turrets...That said, if you want an 8mp bullet that does ok in low light see this.
Dahua HFW-1831E in-depth review
(8MP) IPC-HFW1831E Review
Note the 1831 has no sd card slot for backup no varifocal and no alarm in/out or audio.
The 2831 adds varifocal and sd card, but no audio or alarm.
I read the cliff notes and I guess I under estimated the spider problem. They are very prevalent here the Pacific Northwest! If turrets are as easy to mount, I am good with whatever works. That is why I am here.

Howar

n3wb
Reaction score
I should have added- Any suggestions on a MIX of cameras to maximize effectiveness. I think it is a small area that probably could be covered by 4 cameras, but am willing to double up with different features to ensure effectiveness.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
[QUOTE="awsum140, post: 304126, member: 44236" They attract bugs and spiders as well as becoming blinded in rain/snow when their IR is on.[/QUOTE]Aren't turrets just as bad with rain/snow blindness? I can't see why not, with the relationship of the IR light to the lens being more or less the same as with a bullet.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Let me put it this way about bullets versus turrets when it comes to spiders, Howar. I have three bullets from when I didn't know any better and am constantly, two to four times a week, out there with a dust mop cleaning off spider webs that produce false triggers ALL damn night. I have yet to have to do that with a turret. Keep in mind that in a bullet the IR LEDs are directly adjacent to the lens and under the same glass cover. Besides attracting spiders they also produce "ghosts" of the LEDs in the image from internal reflections in the glass. In a turret they are physically separated by an inch or two and share no common glass cover. It may seem like a minor distinction but it makes a tremendous difference.

A turret can be mounted either horizontally or vertically or anywhere in between. With a bullet or a turret it's "good practice" to use a weatherproof box for the cable connection. No real difference at all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me put it this way about bullets versus turrets when it comes to spiders, Howar. I have three bullets from when I didn't know any better and am constantly, two to four times a week, out there with a dust mop cleaning off spider webs that produce false triggers ALL damn night. I have yet to have to do that with a turret. Keep in mind that in a bullet the IR LEDs are directly adjacent to the lens and under the same glass cover. Besides attracting spiders they also produce "ghosts" of the LEDs in the image from internal reflections in the glass. In a turret they are physically separated by an inch or two and share no common glass cover. It may seem like a minor distinction but it makes a tremendous difference.

A turret can be mounted either horizontally or vertically or anywhere in between. With a bullet or a turret it's "good practice" to use a weatherproof box for the cable connection. No real difference at all.
Note that the newer bullets designs have the IR separated away from the lens..I am testing to see if this has the same result as the turrets...the bullets are still way bulkier than the turrets.