New here. Looking for first Home DIY setup

hr7

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello folks, I have been reading the forums for a while and am ready to start my own project for the home.

My question regarding NVR/DVR: I am looking to buy a used LTS DVR. What are possible drawbacks if the item comes with 2 month return allowance? As far as support goes, am I on my own? I am saving ~350$ vs a new unit. wondering if its worth it.

Thanks

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's a TVI model, so mainly for analog cameras. It only has up to 2 IP channels at 1080p. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it or any analog cameras. I'd stick with an NVR that has PoE and 1080p minimum. It's a lot easier running an Ethernet line than running coax and power lines.

hr7

n3wb
Reaction score
That's a TVI model, so mainly for analog cameras. It only has up to 2 IP channels at 1080p. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it or any analog cameras. I'd stick with an NVR that has PoE and 1080p minimum. It's a lot easier running an Ethernet line than running coax and power lines.
Which NVR w/ 8 Ch & Matrix IR combo would be recommended? Not married to a particular brand.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/SxYxiha[/QUOTE] When you recommend aliexpress to a new user its important to point out the firmware update issues as well as the lack of warranty and support.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

hr7

n3wb
Reaction score
No firmware issues as these are NI and upgradable Also I did not suggest anything only a link ... we all adults and make our own decisions on that note I reccomend you use these links and make your own call just as the other hundred of thousands have*

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c69dR9G8[/QUOTE] Thank you. Are there any NVRs which can be managed remotely over the network? I want to tuck it in somewhere and would prefer not having to hookup a monitor to.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No firmware issues as these are NI and upgradable Also I did not suggest anything only a link ... we all adults and make our own decisions on that note I reccomend you use these links and make your own call just as the other hundred of thousands have*

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/clQm4aJq[/QUOTE] The OP asked for cameras as well. The warranty issue would apply to the NVR as well. Its important that its pointed out, only then with that knowledge can the user make informed decisions.

hr7

n3wb
Reaction score
The OP asked for cameras as well. The warranty issue would apply to the NVR as well. Its important that its pointed out, only then with that knowledge can the user make informed decisions.
I was under the impression, unless I get the system installed by an authorized installer, its not possible to buy any hikvision or LTS system with warranty. Are there sources which sell directly to DIY folks with valid warranty?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was under the impression, unless I get the system installed by an authorized installer, its not possible to buy any hikvision or LTS system with warranty. Are there sources which sell directly to DIY folks with valid warranty?
Yes, see the milkisbad thread. Also nellys security (they provide their own warranty)...BandH photo, though they are priced high..

Reactions: hr7

hr7

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, see the milkisbad thread. Also nellys security (they provide their own warranty)...BandH photo, though they are priced high..
I tried searching for milkisbad thread but its not obvious what you are referring to. Could you link it?

hr7

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the primary advantage of IP/NVR setup vs HD-TVI if I'm only interested in 1080p for home solution. Seems like HD-TVI is cheaper but I don't see any advantage of IP given I'll have to run cabling (POE for IP or Saimese for TVI) for either?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the primary advantage of IP/NVR setup vs HD-TVI if I'm only interested in 1080p for home solution. Seems like HD-TVI is cheaper but I don't see any advantage of IP given I'll have to run cabling (POE for IP or Saimese for TVI) for either?
IP allows much more flexibility.
1) you do not need to homerun each cable to the NVR..you can use a poe switch and connect that somewhere on the network or run a single line back to the nvr.
2) you can easily hide a second nvr
3) if you dont like the features of the TVI nvr you are stuck. No other options. With ip you can move to another NVR or PC based NVR.
4) with ip you can use cameras with SD card as a backup.
5) as camera technology advances you can easily swap an ip camera. You will be stuck in your tracks with tvi.
Running new coax in 2016 is silly. At the very least, run ethernet and use TVI grade baluns.

hr7

n3wb
Reaction score
IP allows much more flexibility.
1) you do not need to homerun each cable to the NVR..you can use a poe switch and connect that somewhere on the network or run a single line back to the nvr.
2) you can easily hide a second nvr
3) if you dont like the features of the TVI nvr you are stuck. No other options. With ip you can move to another NVR or PC based NVR.
4) with ip you can use cameras with SD card as a backup.
5) as camera technology advances you can easily swap an ip camera. You will be stuck in your tracks with tvi.
Running new coax in 2016 is silly. At the very least, run ethernet and use TVI grade baluns.
Can you explain 2) Hide a second nvr?

hr7

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, some folks are concerned about their NVR being stolen, though i dont think that should be a priority.
In that setup, are the 2 NVRs copy of each other, or is one of them just dummy and not doing anything (just there to be easily stolen and satisfy the thief)?