New Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-I2

speed89

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking at getting this NVR (DS-7608NI-I2/8P)(8 Port with PoE model) but concerned about the fan noise. I know completely silent is not possible, but how noisy is this unit? It will be placed in a room near a bedroom. Just want to make sure it is not noisy enough to become annoying. If the NVR turns out to be too noisy, are there any fan mods you can do with this unit like those mentioned in this thread?: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/7714-Replacing-Fan-In-Hikvision-DS-7608NI-E2-8P-NVR

Dutchie30

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the 8P model, but the NI-I2 is not noisy at all. I'm sure you can replace the fans, they're just screwed to the case itself so it's a matter of buying a new fan of the same size and replacing it.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
It's noisy, not something I would put in the living room for sure. Also, not sure about i2 8p but 16p has two fans vs 1 can on e2 8p

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've used a couple of these NVRs and both are loud enough that I would not put them in a living room, and definitely not a bedroom. Being next to a living space should be OK, especially if you can keep the door closed.

As Dutchie30 said the fans inside look like normal computer fans and it is possible to get better, quieter fans in a variety of sizes.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Setup illegal login email notification and no emails come through. Motion detection are fine. Anyone else? Running 3.4.2 build.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
The fan on my DS-7608NI-I2/8P is not bad at all but I would not put it in a bedroom. It has a low whirrrr to it. Also as things get warmer the faster it goes. When cool you can hardly hear it.

tone4441

n3wb
Reaction score
hi guys i have the 7608ni-i2/8p with built in poe switches
my nvr changes camera settings on its own, is there anyway i can stop this for happening ???

TechDiver

n3wb
Reaction score
I haven't bought an NVR yet. Since you have had some time with this unit, what you think about the 7608NI-I2?

Thanks

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have had no problems with mine. It is an upgrade from the DS-7608NI-E2 which I also have. The fan on mine is pretty quiet but I would not put it in a bedroom.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Dutchie30 Can you please confirm if your NVR can email motion alerts through gmail? i.e. does it support TLS encryption?
What firmware do you have?
Can you provide screen shots of the firmware menus?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dutchie30

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't bought an NVR yet. Since you have had some time with this unit, what you think about the 7608NI-I2?
I like it, definately worth it.

@Dutchie30 Can you please confirm if your NVR can email motion alerts through gmail? i.e. does it support TLS encryption?
What firmware do you have?
Can you provide screen shots of the firmware menus?
I'm not sure of it working with gmail, although I remember testing it in the past and believe it worked.

I'm running it with firmware 3.4.62 build 160503. Anything specific you're looking for in terms of menu?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am very interested for the following
1. if it supports TLS encryption at the email notifications
2. if they have introduced a time scheduled rebooting of the NVR,
3. if the virtual hosting is supported,
4. if telnet access is supported.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Dutchie. Thanks for the screenshots.
According to the first shot, TLS is not supported at this firmware version.
According to the second shot, ssh access is supported.
Check under network for the virtual host.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On mine:

TLS not supported, Virtual Host not supported (but others have support so I guess I have an older mainboard or something - thanks Hikvision), SSH supported.

Edit: Mine's an E2

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On mine:

TLS not supported, Virtual Host not supported (but others have support so I guess I have an older mainboard or something - thanks Hikvision), SSH supported.
Are you having the same firmware 3.4.62 as Dutchie?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you having the same firmware 3.4.62 as Dutchie?
Same. I never had Virtual Host on 3.4.6, 3.4.2 and 3.3.4.

I didn't use 3.4.0 because it was buggy as, well it was very buggy.

Edit: Oh crap, mine's an E2 not an I2. Sorry!

Reaction score
Just joined the forum. Looks like great info here!

Apologies for what is probably a horribly noob question, but where are the POE ports? Or does this unit simply connect to a POE switch (along with the rest of the cameras)..? Thanks!

Was trying to PM you, Dutchie30, but it says I need 5 posts first. Boo.