New hikvision setup

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Zero Degrees and great post. I will look into them tomorrThow. I guess the problem I have is that I am still caught up on the megapixels as referenced to digital cameras. The higher the better. I am excited to get the ball rolling, and think that Dahua maybe the way to go. I have always stayed away from chinese knockoffs per se, but it seems the Dahua have a reliable reputation. Thanks everyone, appreciate all the advice.
Even with digital cameras the higher mp sensors are not better...that's a scam the manufactures have been running for a long time. Most of the time they are worse.

OdessaDan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, I spent most of the weekend researching and decided on going with the unbranded hikvision cameras, LTS. I received the catalog from milkisbad and am trying to narrow down the NVR.

I am looking at getting a combo of 2.1mp and 4mp cameras. The NVR I am looking to get is the LTN8708K-P8 it is a 8MP NVR, any reason to go lower, or higher. I have attached the sheet with the specs for the one I am looking at.

Thank you,

Daniel

Attachments

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, I spent most of the weekend researching and decided on going with the unbranded hikvision cameras, LTS. I received the catalog from milkisbad and am trying to narrow down the NVR.

I am looking at getting a combo of 2.1mp and 4mp cameras. The NVR I am looking to get is the LTN8708K-P8 it is a 8MP NVR, any reason to go lower, or higher. I have attached the sheet with the specs for the one I am looking at.

Thank you,

Daniel
You should be fine with the less expensive one. Honestly they have an LTN8708-P8 that should save you some more money and do everything you need still.

OdessaDan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @zero-degrees I am going to follow a few of your posts that you showed me above and use those as examples of the cameras that I want to get. Im still trying to get the whole higher megapixel is not always better out of my head.

OdessaDan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again @zero-degrees its starting to make sense. I finally understand something lol, I was looking at the CMOS sensor differently, i finally started looking at it as 1/3" CMOS is actually 1/3 of an inch, meaning the 2.1mp camera has a larger sensor, 1/2.8" of an inch.

I have a couple more questions if you have time, I am going to be mainly installing cameras on the outside, and from what I have read the turret style cameras with the Matrix IR's are the best. Would it be your recommendation to use those on the outside and when I finally install on the inside, then use the dome cameras.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks again @zero-degrees its starting to make sense. I finally understand something lol, I was looking at the CMOS sensor differently, i finally started looking at it as 1/3" CMOS is actually 1/3 of an inch, meaning the 2.1mp camera has a larger sensor, 1/2.8" of an inch.

I have a couple more questions if you have time, I am going to be mainly installing cameras on the outside, and from what I have read the turret style cameras with the Matrix IR's are the best. Would it be your recommendation to use those on the outside and when I finally install on the inside, then use the dome cameras.
I Have used both outside, domes and turrets as they each have their proper application.

Overall I would say YES go with turrets outside or the bullets with Matrix IR. The only reason to go with a dome is if you truly are concerned someone will screw with it. The turrets will give you better and more even IR coverage and you don't have the water spots and IR reflection issues. If a dome gets rain or snow on it the water spots will blind the camera with IR at night. Domes can be used outside they just have to be on a porch or under proper cover.

OdessaDan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @zero-degrees I am not worried about people messing with the cameras. the cameras sit under a balcony in the front and on the second floor they are high up, I want the best cameras I can get with great night vision and great day time video recording. Eventually when our daughter is born, we are going to run few in the house and will probably use the same cameras.

OdessaDan

n3wb
Reaction score
@zero-degrees should I buy cat 6 Shielded or unshielded cable. I know it has to be solid, but cant find an answer on the shielding. Thank you

OdessaDan

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running the wires through my attic and will be crossing several AC lines. Should I go with the shielded to be safe @zero-degrees

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I am running the wires through my attic and will be crossing several AC lines. Should I go with the shielded to be safe @zero-degrees
Standard house wiring and standard electric 12/2 or 14/2 wiring won't really bother you. I wouldn't push it though the same piece of conduit or wrap it around electrical wiring but simply crossing it and what not throughout an attic space won't cause you any problems.