New hikvision setup

OdessaDan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to hikvision, I have always had box setups and finally decided to take the plunge into a real system. I have been doing some research and think I have come up with a good system. Mainly looking for someone to take a look at what I have and let me know if it is a good system.

I have a townhouse and only need to watch the front and back of the house. I need cameras that have good to great night vision.

NVR: Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P Embedded Plug & Play NVR with 2TB HDD
DS-7608NI-E2/8P-2TB
Cameras: Looking for 4 Hikvision 4MP Indoor/Outdoor EXIR Turret Network Camera with 2.8mm Lens
DS-2CD2342WD-I-2.8MM
Thanks for taking a look, I really appreciate it.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From what I have been told 4mp isn't good at night. Also 2.8mm lens isn't good for facial ID unless they walk in front of the camera.

OdessaDan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @Ryan00 Im thinking of changing out two of the cameras to 4mm, and using the 2.8mm as a wider view to cover the entire front. We have quite a bit of light in the front and back hoping that will help with the night vision

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now with what I said above I have 2 4mp 4mm cameras outside and 3 4mp 2.8 cameras outside and their great at day time . Night is okay but you will need to add light somehow if you want a good facial ID

OdessaDan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @Ryan00 we have flood lights in the front and back, the front also has a porch light that is on at all times during the night.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @Ryan00 we have flood lights in the front and back, the front also has a porch light that is on at all times during the night.

I have 3 800 lumens lights and a mr beams 300 lumens on my driveway with my hikvision 4mp 4mm and I can get a good facial Id at night but it can be better .

Edit: point is you need tons of light or lower mp like a 2mp

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would ou recommend the 3mp camera instead?

There are people on this form far more knowledgeable than me however from what I've learned At night 2mp is best also go with 4mm or 6mm just depends . Dahua starlight is a good camera at night from what I heard I ordered one so I will see. Now many might disagree with this but I like the 2.8mm cameras why because it gives a wide view now I know I won't get a great face Id from 8 feet away but if you place the camera next to windows or a door 2 feet away you will get a good face Id the rest is just data to see if someone is messing around on property .

Edit: after all it takes a 2 Dollar mask to tell your cameras to fuck Off . So does it matter ?

OdessaDan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Im new to all this, will the Dahua work on a hikvision NVR? I like that it has a varifocal lens and seems to have great night vision. Thanks for the suggestion

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Im new to all this, will the Dahua work on a hikvision NVR? I like that it has a varifocal lens and seems to have great night vision. Thanks for the suggestion
Get the dahua nvr to match the cams.

Reactions: dss

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No get the same nvr as cameras easiest way .. Best solution in my opinion get blue iris

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry not trying to confuse you ! If you get hikvision cameras get a hikvision nvr with and keep all cameras hikvision. Now if you get dahua cameras get a dahua nvr. Keep it all the same... now if you go with blueiris your free get what ever the helll you want dahua,hikvision,amcrest...

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Here ya go @OdessaDan I'm going to help confuse you even more :)

That new Dahua camera is pretty awesome based on that thread and the first hand examples. There are some great first hand reviews and some solid pics and video on the site uploaded from users nayr. I have uploaded a couple threads to show 2mp, 3mp, 4mp HIK installs though if you want to take a look at them so you can also see those.

As Ryan said be careful with 2.8 outside. You are going to get some warping because the image spans such a wide area - almost 180 degrees. The majority of the time outside you are going to want at least 4mm, and in some cases 6mm in order to provide great ID shots. At any rate take a look at these few threads and images to see examples if you still want to consider HIK.

LTS 2MP Dome & Turret install

HIKVision & LTS 3 & 4mp Camera review/example

IP Cameras, Multiple Locations

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here ya go @OdessaDan I'm going to help confuse you even more :)

That new Dahua camera is pretty awesome based on that thread and the first hand examples. There are some great first hand reviews and some solid pics and video on the site uploaded from users nayr. I have uploaded a couple threads to show 2mp, 3mp, 4mp HIK installs though if you want to take a look at them so you can also see those.

As Ryan said be careful with 2.8 outside. You are going to get some warping because the image spans such a wide area - almost 180 degrees. The majority of the time outside you are going to want at least 4mm, and in some cases 6mm in order to provide great ID shots. At any rate take a look at these few threads and images to see examples if you still want to consider HIK.

LTS 2MP Dome & Turret install

HIKVision & LTS 3 & 4mp Camera review/example

IP Cameras, Multiple Locations
Great post !!

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can I ask why you decided on the 2342 ? if you do go with a Chinese vendor I would suggest this one they have treated me well. I have the 2335's 3mp and all is good newer one is the 2345 but the 3 is pretty good at night. I would consider the Dahua next and the varifocal lens saves you guessing on which lens but twice the price per cam but probably twice the ease. I have some 2.8 lens which are good on the deck but I would say min 4mm lens. I have that NVR and I am happy with it I found the NVR just nice for plug and play. Don't forget buy solid copper wire not CCA (copper clad aluminum) and a crimper w tester for $25 bucks and you are good to go. I also bought get filled exterior cat 5 cable for everything its tough and UV rated so underground or whatever you through at it.

XinRay Store - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling mounting brackets for cars,brackets steel,mount tv bracket and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

My cameras the 2335:
Aliexpress.com : Buy HIK Full HD 1080P POE IP Camera DS 2CD2335 I Replace DS 2CD2332 I H.265 ONVIF Infrared Camera Waterproof CCTV IP Camera from Reliable waterproof cmos camera suppliers on XinRay Store

bought my NVR from here:
In stock DS 7608NI I2/8P English version 2SATA, 8 POE ports 8ch NVR supporting third party camera, plug & play NVR POE 8ch H.265-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited:

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Again as stated above the starlight from dahua are great I have only been able to find them on aliexpress which the first couple of times gave me a hard time about my card.. however I worked it out ever a week. Free Shipping DAHUA Security IP Camera CCTV 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IP67 With POE Without Logo IPC HDBW5231R Z/S2-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

These are nice because from what I heard they have nice low light and a zoom 2.7 -12mm I also think they do audio . For the price you can't beat it. But it's not as easy as ordering from Amazon at least for me.

OdessaDan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Zero Degrees and great post. I will look into them tomorrow. I guess the problem I have is that I am still caught up on the megapixels as referenced to digital cameras. The higher the better. I am excited to get the ball rolling, and think that Dahua maybe the way to go. I have always stayed away from chinese knockoffs per se, but it seems the Dahua have a reliable reputation. Thanks everyone, appreciate all the advice.