New Home - First Security System

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks mat200! Your explanation is extremely helpful.

For a new construction exterior wall, the junction box would screw onto wood, and then stucco (or other finishes) around it, I assume.

For the wall mount, how would that work? Attach directly onto stucco? I don't see any finish lines on it to accept stucco if it were attached directly onto wood framing.
Possible options:
1) Stucco first - leave hole for cat5e/cat6 cable - then mount junction box on stucco and pull wire into junction box
This works good if you decide to change the form factor of the camera later, as each form factor uses a different junction box.

2) Stucco after installing junction box - this may get tricky - depends on your stucco crew - as now they have to work around the junction box and do a good job. This also will force you to keep the same form factor for the cameras in the future.

3) Put an 1 gang electrical box in place and stucco afterwards, add camera junction box after. - as the junction box or mount may not fully cover the 1 gang box you may need to put a 1 gang cover plate on the electrical box and then put the junction box on top of that. ( This works ok if you decide to change the form factor of the camera later, as each form factor uses a different junction box. )
If you orient the 1 gang box horizontally it would work better with one of the wall mounts like the PFB204W
PFB204W | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

I would be tempted to do option #1 or #3 - as stucco crews should be well skilled with those jobs already. Certainly discuss this with your builder as they should have some good experience with this.

Thinking more about this, the building will last 100 years or more... the form factor for cameras probably will change by that time, so definitely either option (1) or (3).

Peekonu

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome.

#2 probably would achieve the cleanest result, but like you said, locks you in. I can imagine needing to change the box in the future would be a mess.

#3 sounds functional but potentially unesthetic with a rectangular box for a round camera.

#1 would add some distance to the camera off the wall which seems to be a good thing. However, waterproofing the junction box on top of stucco would be necessary.

I guess #1 sounds like the best choice. Or I suppose if the wiring happens to fit into the wall, then no junction box at all would be OK too?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome.

#2 probably would achieve the cleanest result, but like you said, locks you in. I can imagine needing to change the box in the future would be a mess.

#3 sounds functional but potentially unesthetic with a rectangular box for a round camera.

#1 would add some distance to the camera off the wall which seems to be a good thing. However, waterproofing the junction box on top of stucco would be necessary.

I guess #1 sounds like the best choice. Or I suppose if the wiring happens to fit into the wall, then no junction box at all would be OK too?
#3 - rectangular electrical box - can be mounted so that it will be flush once the stucco is put on - so you can have a clean look.

#1 - Due to modern insulation requirements I would still go for a junction box so that I do not disturb the insulation too much, AND in some cases they are using foam sheets which would not allow us to push the wiring back into the wall.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My home is currently being built I plan on purchasing an 8 POE camera system for outside using a 16 channel NVR.
If you haven't already, now is also the time to give consideration to the other aspects of your safety security design. Smoke/heat alarms. Fire extinguishers and Blankets. Emergency Egress? No point living in a fortress if you die in it. Locking systems? First Aid kits? Are you installing an alarm? Much easier to do before the gyprock goes up. What physical barriers are you installing? How is your landscaping and planting going to tie in with your security design? Emergency communications? Home Safe? Safe room? Cameras are but one part of the security equation.

merkaba

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you haven't already, now is also the time to give consideration to the other aspects of your safety security design. Smoke/heat alarms. Fire extinguishers and Blankets. Emergency Egress? No point living in a fortress if you die in it. Locking systems? First Aid kits? Are you installing an alarm? Much easier to do before the gyprock goes up. What physical barriers are you installing? How is your landscaping and planting going to tie in with your security design? Emergency communications? Home Safe? Safe room? Cameras are but one part of the security equation.
Interesting thoughts for sure. We are doing walkways, a patio, and irrigation...do you have suggestions in regards to tying it into other things? I plan on using the Rachio controller found here Change the way you water. i am an avid SmartThings user for home automation which includes window/door sensors and an alarm. I've been thinking about something like Abode for strictly home security uses, but still have not made up my mind. I plan on using Schlage Connect locks for all exterior doors. Smoke/Carbon Monoxide/Heat are all standard, but I don't have any other plans for egress, or safe rooms etc.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you wiring alarm sensors into your doors and windows?
I like wired sensors so you don't have to worry about batteries, jamming, etc.

Peekonu

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for the hijack merkaba, I figured 2 birds with one stone. I know you weren't asking me, randytsuch, but I also prefer wired over wireless. I've wired all my doors and windows with magnets. I have all the wires coming into a closet. However I have not decided on what system to use. I would like to be able to merge z-wave functionality for lights with the dahua cameras for sensing exterior motion. Any advice on how to proceed there?

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry for the hijack merkaba, I figured 2 birds with one stone. I know you weren't asking me, randytsuch, but I also prefer wired over wireless. I've wired all my doors and windows with magnets. I have all the wires coming into a closet. However I have not decided on what system to use. I would like to be able to merge z-wave functionality for lights with the dahua cameras for sensing exterior motion. Any advice on how to proceed there?
So far my Blue Iris cam system is isolated from my Domoticz system (HA) from my alarm, a Honeywell Vista 20-P based system.
I would think you can get motion detect status from the cameras, but its not something I care about so I've never looked into it

For the alarm system, although the design is older now, the Honeywell stuff vista is very popular. It's not sexy like the new wireless stuff with the slick displays, but its easy to use, and it works. It supports wired and wireless, you can find lots of videos and advice with google searches, and doesn't lock you into a single service provider. The vista 21-ip has Ethernet included, but I think the Ethernet only works with some service providers. A 20-p with envisalink may be a better solution. And get a 6160rf keypad. Has a rf interface for wireless devices, and is easier to program than the 6150.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts for sure. We are doing walkways, a patio, and irrigation...do you have suggestions in regards to tying it into other things? I plan on using the Rachio controller found here Change the way you water. i am an avid SmartThings user for home automation which includes window/door sensors and an alarm. I've been thinking about something like Abode for strictly home security uses, but still have not made up my mind. I plan on using Schlage Connect locks for all exterior doors. Smoke/Carbon Monoxide/Heat are all standard, but I don't have any other plans for egress, or safe rooms etc.
As an example, think about the plants you are going to use. Some plants are prickly barriers that can deter and channel people in the same way a fence does. Prickly plantings under windows might make the criminal go elsewhere. The wrong plants, like a high hedge, will hide the criminal from the street, and possible observation by your neighbours. A front fence can be decorative and at the same time force people into zones that are covered by CCTV. Barriers like gates, even unlocked ones, force people to stop at least briefly and that can improve your chances of a good capture. Clear paths to your front door can defeat an argument by a criminal that they were there for a lawful purpose if they deviate away from them. Hedges around paths can channel people from the street to where you want them to be. Side gates, ones you can lock, prevent people casually wandering down the side of the house. Sensor lighting improves the performance of the cameras and the visible light will sometimes, but not always, deter a would be intruder. A light coming on may also draw your eye, the eye of a neighbour, or the eye a a passer by, to someone who shouldn't be there.

People regularly worry about the actions of criminals when doing their safety and security plans but forget to think about the things that are far more likely to kill a member of their family. I can't emphasise fire safety enough. Have an evacuation plan. Practice it. Fire is a much bigger threat to you and your family than criminals are. If you get screens on your windows make sure they are of the type with a safety release. Where are you going to keep chemicals and medication? Accidental poisoning kills far more people than crime does, even in the United States with your outrageous homicide rate.

Last edited:

Peekonu

n3wb
Reaction score
You certainly can connect an ethernet cable from the camera to the NVR if you have Power over Ethernet ports on the NVR. Many users do this, but some users prefer the non-PoE NVR and connect the camera to a PoE switch first and the switch to the NVR.

The junction box is to add convenience for mounting and cable management. You can't fit the ethernet connectors in the back of the camera because there is not enough space. The junction box adds extra space. You may however be able to fit the ethernet connectors inside the wall depending on how and where you're installing the camera.

Peekonu

n3wb
Reaction score
So far my Blue Iris cam system is isolated from my Domoticz system (HA) from my alarm, a Honeywell Vista 20-P based system.
I would think you can get motion detect status from the cameras, but its not something I care about so I've never looked into it

For the alarm system, although the design is older now, the Honeywell stuff vista is very popular. It's not sexy like the new wireless stuff with the slick displays, but its easy to use, and it works. It supports wired and wireless, you can find lots of videos and advice with google searches, and doesn't lock you into a single service provider. The vista 21-ip has Ethernet included, but I think the Ethernet only works with some service providers. A 20-p with envisalink may be a better solution. And get a 6160rf keypad. Has a rf interface for wireless devices, and is easier to program than the 6150.
Thanks for the advice randy. I would really like to learn more before committing to a system. Ideally, I'd want something maximally secure and maximally convenient. I know those two are opposing forces.

I'm looking for something to take Dahua camera / NVR motion detection and turn on my lights etc. Is there a website about z-wave / home security much like there is this site for cameras?

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've used this alarm forum
Electronic Home Security Systems, Alarms and Devices - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Also, do you understand that if you turn on lights based on a camera trigger, you're going to mess up that camera's exposure until it adjusts to the light, and you may miss what you're trying to capture?
So if you are turning on lights for a better picture, you may want to rethink that.

I think Nayr did some of the stuff you're talking about, but he seems to have disappeared.

Randy

Peekonu

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh thanks for the tip. I was thinking more of lights inside the house when motion occurs outside. But how long does the camera (starlight turret) take to adjust if the light is in direct view?