New home owner - do I have options?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you! This is fantastic info. I have also purchase the tool set you recommended I think this will help a lot. One more quick question- what is the purpose of this "test rig" you both quoted? is that just to mount the camera to in order to make sure i like the line of sight?

Thank you again this is invaluable info!
Test rig: to test the proposed camera location to make sure it works out the way you want, before permenant mounting, what looks good on paper doesn't always pan out.
5 gal bucket, 2x4 8ft, rocks for ballast makes a portable test rig. Test each location for a minimum for 24hrs.
You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
Glad you are willing to give the install a go yourself. :headbang:
Plan your work, then work your plan. Take your time to do it right the first time.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OHHH LOL. Makes sense. My kid is too young otherwise that wouldn't be a bad idea. Im really impressed with the solutions people have brought up. I thought this was way above my head but im excited to give it a go. If anything im sure ill learn a lot.

I will be add some pics as things unfold, i appreciate everyone's time and input thanks
Never to young to start, in small ways. Even if his attention span is still at the 5 minute mark.

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
LOL WOW! Now THAT is a home setup haha.

I cant imagine how much processing power you're pulling out there. Well I hope my setup looks as clean as that when im done. I already have BI from my previous home so at least i know how to tackle that bear. thanks for sharing

PS love the Clark avatar

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
LOL WOW! Now THAT is a home setup haha.

I cant imagine how much processing power you're pulling out there. Well I hope my setup looks as clean as that when im done. I already have BI from my previous home so at least i know how to tackle that bear. thanks for sharing

PS love the Clark avatar
computer barely hanging in there. Starting to get sluggish. Constantly at CPU % of around 50%. My I7-8700 pushing up to 1400MP/s. Will need a second computer soon. but first have other projects to tackle.

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When inserting a fish rod into the attic space from the outside the different stiffness rods make a big difference in how far you can work the arc of the rod. They also make a lighted tip for the fish rod that works great if you can go with a bigger hold to poke the rod through.

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When inserting a fish rod into the attic space from the outside the different stiffness rods make a big difference in how far you can work the arc of the rod. They also make a lighted tip for the fish rod that works great if you can go with a bigger hold to poke the rod through.

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry gents, another quick noob question as i create my plan of attack. Previously i have only mounted cameras to wooden eaves or fences. Since i will be installing a few on stucco and many recommended junction boxes, I'm curious if you could recommend a good junction box for a camera? Specifically these are the 4 i planned on mounting to the home:

R L

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
32 Cameras? what the heck are your watching, and why?

Here is some advice, (I’m up to 32 cameras now. Spent loads of time up in the attic crawl space)
Expect that you will want to add more cameras later. Consider running additional cat cable for later use.
This is the BIGGY! Remember to use only SOLID COPPER CABLE! Made the mistake of running CCW cable the first time. Had to do it all over again.
Do it when the weather is cool. Sucks being in the attaic when its warm. Gets really hot and stuffy up there.
Wear a mask. The fiberglass insulation will play hell on your lungs.
Learn to spice your own RJ45 connections. And don’t forget to use the pass thru connectors. [Practice make perfect]. The Kline tool is the industry standard. Plenty of you tube videos to show you how.
Easier to run you cable together. Tape them together then run it thru your attic.
When running the cable, give yourself plenty of extra cable. Suck to run the cable, then come up short to the switch.
Probably the most import, get yourself the longest glow stick or Gide stick available. Make guiding the wire soo much easier.

Just a few ideas, maybe other

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
32 Cameras? what the heck are your watching, and why?
It pretty easy. LPR-3 cameras. Converge of coming and going of front/back street, 4 cameras, Indoors and Garage/side door-#5 All entries with redundancy-6 cameras, Night vision (full cover for night-time to assess IR cameras) -6 cameras, coverage of each corner of the house-4 cameras, a just a couple more to cover any blind spots. Yes, it’s a lot, but it also a hobby. If you want to be able to identify a person of interest (the whole idea of security camera) it take more cameras. If you read Wiki notes, a bare minimum would be about 12 cameras.

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello again all you great people who have been helping. Today I finally had an opportunity to start peeping locations and I drilled a little pilot hole to see if I can send a rod up and catch it in the attic. I did it away from the corner and as close to the house as possible to avoid dead ends but it appears I found one anyway! I think this house really doesn’t want me to run wires through there. Any thoughts ? I appreciate any suggestions !

Attachments

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you might have drilled into your roof. Should have drilled towards the house where I marked in greenFF6A5552-4D18-4F7B-9149-3AB53ACE677A.jpeg
When you drill try matching the angle of the roof with the pilot bit.

you can also pull a measurement off the top of that window/door and see if it jives inside the house

Last edited:

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@MicahJames - I would agree with Riclyo's post above, that you most likely drilled a hole through your roof underlayment if not more. You would know if you hit roofing tile. You can use a long nail, coat hanger or the like to determine how far you drilled into the roof. That will need to be patched, depending on how far you went. At a minimum perhaps shoot some caulk up that hole. At least the water won't leak into the house since its part of the eaves and outside. Worst case some tiles will need to be removed and the roofing paper patched and that's more complicated but really the right way to fix a hole in the paper or roofing felt.

You need to understand the anatomy of your house construction before making anymore holes. See the attached pic below as an example of your style of framing. Your roof rafters appear to be 2x4's. Not sure why there is one missing off the corner, but they are usually equally spaced. Where Riclyo circled in green is 2x4 blocking between the rafters and sits on your wall top plate and your best location to access your attic. You should be able to see this if you go into your attic using a flash light. Study that closely before making your next hole. Good luck!

roof anatomy.jpg

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You can always use boards in an attic to lie on / reduce the risk of going through the ceiling / plasterboard. 18mm chipboard will do the trick for many people as will thick ply (need to test according to your weight if heavy). So long as the board is able to fit through the loft hatch and long enough to span between beams, then it's ok. Just remember NOT to stand on any end overhanging the beams or the board will tip and you'll go straight through. To avoid this best, you want some overhang to avoid the risk of it sliding off the beam, but not a lot, to reduce the risk of overstepping the truss. Another tip could be to put a cross piece on the underside of each end to stop the board sliding. However, here you are relying on there being even spacing between the beams. You could also use hazard tape to mark the overhangs. Most people will use a board to lie on, however, with a couple you can use them to cross beams by standing on one and laying the other forwards and repeating until at the desired point. Alternatively if wealthier, you could floor / part floor the loft before starting. This again can be done either with proper flooring or chip cut to length. Mine is 1/2 floored with 18mm chip. It's not perfect but it works. However, I'm not the right person to advise you here as you need to ensure the weight doesn't exceed the loading the ceiling beams are designed for so some consultation with a builder / engineer might be necessary before starting any work.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you guys. I will have a look and talk to a friend that knows a lot more about the roof construction before I get into anything worse.
Good plan. Don't let this minor blip discourage you. You can do this. No problem. Part of home ownership and doing projects is making some mistakes along the way and learning how to do it better the next time. We all have had to do some patching after some mishaps be it drywall, stucco, roofing. After a little patch and paint to cover your sins no one will ever know about it except for you. This forum has your back so ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable in what you're doing. Good luck!

Last edited:

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good plan. Don't let this minor blip discourage you. You can do this. No problem. Part of home ownership and doing projects is making some mistakes along the way and learning how to it better the next time. We all have had to do some patching after some mishaps be it drywall, stucco, roofing. After a little patch and paint to cover your sins no one will ever know about it except for you. This forum has your back so ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable in what you're doing. Good luck!
I appreciate this so much! ;)