New home system need advices please

uragano23

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello i'm doing some works on my house and since i'm doing a new cover for the roof and installing insulation panels on external house walls i want to put some wire conduct under them so i can install the ip cameras.
The wires will run easily inside the house once i have placed the wire conduct and decided the placements. I can run wires and put the NVR under the roof (attic).

I need some advice on the right placements (max height from ground and how many for home side) on which Dahua cams to pick (for on wall install).

I want to keep it as simple as i can.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks
Adrian

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A drawing/photo and what you'd like covered will help forum members provide some recommendations

uragano23

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have draw or photos of the house at the moment because it has scaffoldings all around so you can't understand the shape. Anyway i have this data:
1-the house has a regular rectangular shape with this measure 10 meters X 15,6m
2-the distance from road is 11,5m and the way for the entrance with car is 35m long (it is the distance from gate to one wall of the house).
3-the other borders are at about 8m but are from plain fields and have walls as separation.

I received the HDBW5231R-Z with PFA137 support from Andy, i upgraded it to last firmware (i'm using PAL) and it seems to work ok. Anyway for my misunderstanding i receved the HDBW instead of HDW that probably was a better choice for maintenance.

Anyway i need advice on:
1- the ideal or max height from ground to install it (or the other cams i will buy) to have a good mix between optimal visual point and discretion (not so visible or not giving a "punch" when you see the house)
2- Four cams will be suffice if positioned near the corners with an angled view? Can you give me advice on a typical install based on my data?
3- for NVR i was thinking about the 5208 with POE ports. Or is it better to have it separated?. I will put it in the attic under the roof.

Let me know
Thanks

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
8-10 feet mounting height should be good enough to keep the camera out of reach while having a reasonable shot at capturing a face. Obviously, the lower the camera is, the higher the probability of getting a face vs the top of someone's head. You have purchased a 'vandal-proof" dome, so that should provide a bit more protection from tampering and by the time it is destroyed or rendered inoperable, you should have enough footage in your NVR.

Whether or not 4 cameras is enough is what you are trying to monitor. I put 2 cameras on each corner so I can see both ways. Perhaps most important thing to monitor at a home are the vulnerable entry points, mailbox, front porch for packages and wherever you park your car. Additional positioning depends on any obstructions such as tree branches that could block what you are trying to monitor.

I'm not sure it really matters if you buy and NVR with built in POE or have a separate POE switch. I opted to use POE switches I already had that could also power non-camera devices. I also have Milestone to record (in addition to the NVR) so I needed a POE switch anyway. More flexibility for other purposes if separate.

Hope this helps...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Anyway i need advice on:
1- the ideal or max height from ground to install it (or the other cams i will buy) to have a good mix between optimal visual point and discretion (not so visible or not giving a "punch" when you see the house)
2- Four cams will be suffice if positioned near the corners with an angled view? Can you give me advice on a typical install based on my data?
3- for NVR i was thinking about the 5208 with POE ports. Or is it better to have it separated?. I will put it in the attic under the roof.

Let me know
Thanks
Hi,

The following model is highly recommended here due to it's night time performance and value:
IPC-HDW5231R-Z
IPC-HDW5231R-Z | Dahua Technology

For the NVR people here recommending getting one which handles more cameras than you initially plan to get.

Caution with regards to placing the NVR in the attic as you want to keep the NVR from getting too hot. You maybe able to use attic space for it, you will just need to figure out how to keep it cool.