New house build - Need help w/ camera plan

Reaction score
Inside cameras are...tricky. As they have to be approved by Da Wives or roomates or could make visitors uncomfortable, type of thing.
However... I ihave 3 indoor cameras: installed a camera in my kitchen with full view of the sliding patio door while catching a good portion of the kitchen itself. I did the same for my living room with the front door being the focal point while still catching portions of the living room. I live solo in my house so I can do what I want. The theory being if someone tries to break in, I want to see what happens if they get inside. Especially true for the patio sliding door as you can see a perp attempting to break in but give up and move on. My #3 indoor camera focuses on the stairwell leading up to my 2nd floor. All strategically places to catch faces for facial ID.
With all that being said... I take full responsibility of someone walking around in birthday suit (myself or my dates) or even romantic interludes in the kitchen or living room. Oddly, no one has said any concerns about the cameras or recorded footage. But it is something to be aware of for any indoor cameras.
Lastly, (I wish it was more mentioned)...consider a porch pirate or a perp in the neighborhood. There is a good chance he/she is not acting like a robber 300' distant from your house so hoodie is not up and person is staring straight at your house & cameras. Further out you can identify a face, the better. As the perp comes closer to the house is when the hoodie & mask are more likely worn making any facial ID nearly impossible. So more distant to catch a person approaching your house, the better.
I do not mention this lightly, as I have had experience with a tire slasher.
I have both a 5442 series 32mm varifocal for upto 150' distant for pretty good facial ID and also a SD4 series PTZ 32x (?) optical zoom (both Dahua's) just for this single purpose.
Might I add: pretty cool to have indoor cameras to keep an eye on your iRobot vaccum to make sure it's doing it's job :)

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - a mini-dome wedge or turret that is painted to match the home works very well to blend in the cameras if you need it.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
My wife was originally reluctant to have cameras. After about 6 months, our BI server failed and I needed a new power supply which took a few days. While the server was down, she asked a few times “When will the cameras be back up?”
I was surprised myself when it was my wife that wanted more and better cameras. The "momma bear" gene is strong and should never be underestimated.

Reaction score
Do you guys use any indoor PTZ cameras? All of mine are the 4231 & 5231 variety. Never really thought of using a smaller PTZ for indoor purposes due to the much smaller real estate/square footage a camera has to cover. But always open minded for additional toys :)