New House Camera Setup, opinions welcome

jerems

n3wb
Reaction score
Wife and I moved into our new house, it's a bungalow so the attic / basement are unfinished so I have full access to run Cat6A cabling everywhere needed. It's also a walk out basement so the back is 2 story tall. We live on a corner lot so we have a fairly large side yard, we live in a really friendly area with a park in front of us and school close by but it's one of those "you never know" so it's more of a peace of mind thing.

I have a POE switch and will be running a Blueiris setup along with Homeseer and freenas in a server.

I want to start to buy cameras and have seen a lot of good reviews and comments about the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 and IPC-HFW5231E-Z12.

Is there other cameras I could be looking at? I will get with @EMPIREANDY on getting pricing.

As for locations I was thinking:
1 x IPC-HDW5231R-ZE at the front door in the soffet area facing out, or should this be facing more tomorrows the walk way to the front door? (i have a nest Hello door bell cam, which is purely a nice to have and won't be part of the overall system, read: wife friendly)
1 x at the front of the garage facing out towards the driveway (2 car drive way, not huge)
1 x side of the house where garage man door is Facing the front of the house (rear of the house)?
back rear doors (basement / read deck) maybe one each?
1 x side yard road side
1 x inside garage, I have a 4 car garage and would like one in there...I was thinking a PTZ one, or is that overkill?

Any opinions are welcome, I have never set up a CCTV system but am confident I can handle the software side after a little trial and error and I have done numerous network jobs / runs, I'm sure I won't have issues there. I'm just kinda ignorant on the positions of and the correct camera for the job, I'm done a lot of reading and still am trying to get more competent as I go.

I attached some photos of the house and possible locations of cameras.
House Front.JPG House Side 1.JPG House Back.JPG House Side.JPG

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Jerems,

Congratulations on the home.

PLAN for MORE cameras than 5 w/such a nice good sized home.

Perhaps a good time once you have access to the house is to pick up one of those Starlight cameras and start testing placements.

For the front door - I like to have one camera at eye level.

For the garage 2 cameras, one on each side.

jerems

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome Jerems,

Congratulations on the home.

PLAN for MORE cameras than 5 w/such a nice good sized home.

Perhaps a good time once you have access to the house is to pick up one of those Starlight cameras and start testing placements.

For the front door - I like to have one camera at eye level.

For the garage 2 cameras, one on each side.
Thanks @mat200, the nice thing with having the unfinished areas, it's easy to add on later but I do want to get most of the cable pulled now even for future cameras.

The camera at eye level at the front door would be a challenge, but the Nest hello will be at eye height and that will be automatically backed up to the cloud. I'll see if I can get it down the wall a bit above the front door.

Would the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE be suitable for most of my cameras? I know the bullet type IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 has better zoom range.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @mat200, the nice thing with having the unfinished areas, it's easy to add on later but I do want to get most of the cable pulled now even for future cameras.

The camera at eye level at the front door would be a challenge, but the Nest hello will be at eye height and that will be automatically backed up to the cloud. I'll see if I can get it down the wall a bit above the front door.

Would the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE be suitable for most of my cameras? I know the bullet type IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 has better zoom range.
Hi Jerems,

1) On newer constructions there is typically an air space between the brick exterior wall and the wood framed wall supporting the interior drywall, insulation.

With some planning you can DIY for this pull, or hire a pro to assist.

2) Do not trust any cloud dependent product alone. They are not reliable as it depends on A) your WiFi, B) your router, C) your ISP, D) your power, E) your ISPs power, F) the cloud servers working.

Thus I would recommend pulling cables to the door locations.

Q: Would the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE be suitable for most of my cameras? I know the bullet type IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 has better zoom range
A: Best to pick up one IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and start testing it. For most situations it will cover your needs. For by the doors I like the fixed lens cameras as they are a bit smaller. I like the mini-dome wedge at eye level about 2-3 feet from people at the door ( 2.8mm lens - this is the time I like a wider FOV lens - when suspects are right in front of it. )