New House Construction - System Planning Help Needed

Teeps

n3wb
Reaction score
First of all big thanks to the community here and user giomania for his Cliff Notes!

I am about to start construction of a 2-story home for my family and would appreciate the community's input into my project. My focus right now is to plan the setup and pre-wire ethernet cables to all camera locations.

Goals:
- Detterence but low-key
- Ability to be notified when there is activity (via smartphone)
- Remote system monitoring
- Recording of activity
- Budget!

I really want to keep the cameras to a minimum and focus on entry points to the house. I am leaning towards a Blue Iris setup at the moment.

Here is my current thinking for the project. Let me know if I am on the right track. Camera 6 is the only indoor camera with view on garage inside door, front inside door and stairs coming up from basement. The yellow blocks indicate basement windows.

Any recommendations/input is greatly appreciated!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Cameras are about focal length. The shorter the focal length the wider the view but the closer a target has to be to get a real identity shot. Wide angle shots look nice but are useless for identity purposes. Even a 12MP camera cannot identify when using a wide angle lens. Typically a 2.8mm lens will provide identity at 10 feet. Further than that and you're out of luck. Digital zoom does not work like it does on TV and in the movies. It quickly "blocks" out, pixelates, once you go past about 2X.

Focal Length Calculator

Courtesy of Wittaj -