New House, New Rack... how do I get Blue Iris

remsta

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All,

We are nearing completion of our new house and all the networking equipment is going into a 24RU rack - that is Unifi Switches, UDM Pro etc... Ideally I would really like to keep everything together but at the same time I would love to go Blue Iris. I have looked at some Dell Optiplex 7040's but I am worried they will be too heavy and the rack will fall off the wall (it will be wall mounted).

How have others solved for this? Anyone using Ultra Small Form Factor or Intel NUC's? Surely if a Synology NAS can run 5 cameras, a Small mini pc can?

Cheers,

disbjohn

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

We are nearing completion of our new house and all the networking equipment is going into a 24RU rack - that is Unifi Switches, UDM Pro etc... Ideally I would really like to keep everything together but at the same time I would love to go Blue Iris. I have looked at some Dell Optiplex 7040's but I am worried they will be too heavy and the rack will fall off the wall (it will be wall mounted).

How have others solved for this? Anyone using Ultra Small Form Factor or Intel NUC's? Surely if a Synology NAS can run 5 cameras, a Small mini pc can?

Cheers,
Hi @remsta

A properly installed rack will hold up, and can hold a considerable amount of weight. ( example you can put a good solid plywood section on the wall to support the rack by drilling the plywood into the studs )

USFF PCs or Intel NUCs have not been preferred due to lower performance CPUs and less space for storage ( HDDs ) for videos in the unit.

Many members like SFF PCs which have enough room for at least one SDD and one HDD in the unit.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You'll be right as long as it's bolted securely into the studs. I have an 18RU and I could dangle from the backing section that was bolted to the wall (into studs).

Reaction score