New iPhone connects only on WiFi (LAN) not WAN

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, all , i got a new iPhone 12 and now can only use the BI app with Wifi. I have the correct WAN and LAN ip addresses with Port forwarding enabled and set on my router and iPhone, everything matches but will only coonect via wiFi. HELP PLEASE. Thanks, Adam

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some times the Internet provider blocks ports. Change the port in BI to something like 8081. set it up in the router. Looks at your router logs and see if the connection is being attempted. Are you using a VPN on your home internet like NORDvpn....

Also it is strongly recommended to NOT set port forwarding. Please look at setting up OpenVPN.

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, tried changing the port forwarding number but same results. Nothing in logs at all, nothing but I don’t think that’s it. Don’t have VPN, not familiar but my port forwarding always worked for years. Thans

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not that your port forwarding is working for years, that it is considered as "best practice". We are in 2020 (almost 2021), and on my honey pots I get hammered by thousands of crazy eastern europeans and asian perks.
So follow the advice of @SouthernYankee, deploy a VPN server (even on a raspberry pi), and login through a safe and secure VPN tunnel into your LAN. No problems anymore with port forwarding and other caveats.

Good luck!
CC

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's not that your port forwarding is working for years, that it is considered as "best practice". We are in 2020 (almost 2021), and on my honey pots I get hammered by thousands of crazy eastern europeans and asian perks.
So follow the advice of @SouthernYankee, deploy a VPN server (even on a raspberry pi), and login through a safe and secure VPN tunnel into your LAN. No problems anymore with port forwarding and other caveats.

Good luck!
CC

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, where would I even begin to figure out how to do that? Thanks Adam

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi, where would I even begin to figure out how to do that? Thanks Adam
OK: do you have a raspberry pi lying around? What kind of router do you have (asus/netgear/.. )? Sometimes people do crazy discoveries and can run an OpenVPN server on their home routers!

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, have nothing rasperry, I do have a Comcast gateway ( router/modem in one) it's a Technicolor. Thanks, Adam

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, in the Blue Iris desktop, in the menu under MOBILE DEVICES, do I need to have anything specific in the DESCRIPTION are and in the TAG area? Does anyone know? Thanks, Adam

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi, tried changing the port forwarding number but same results. Nothing in logs at all, nothing but I don’t think that’s it. Don’t have VPN, not familiar but my port forwarding always worked for years. Thans
Frankly I was exactly you until about two weeks ago. Port forwarding is easy and it does work. I don't believe I was ever hacked, but even years ago I knew I was playing with fire. I finally got a VPN server setup a couple of weeks ago using a raspberry PI (it would be easier to set it up if your router natively handles it, though), and now rest much easier knowing it's tremendously more difficult for somebody to get into my cameras and/or on my network and/or use the cameras as ddos tools or whatever the heck hackers do.

Also some other benefits like now I can get to other devices when I'm remote such as a file share. Or, if I'm on public wifi like a school wifi and they have blocked something I can still get to it via vpn.

You know you should have a VPN. I'd advise go do it, it's not really so bad.

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I do agrree with you and I am fairly handy and I see on my iPhoe I can get an ap called OpenVpn. Would that work and where would I get the parameters to set up BI in OpenVpn? Thanks for any help. Adam Farber

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OpenVPN required two software programs one on the phone(client) and one on your home network (server).

if you have an ASUS router or some netgear routers they support OpenVPN .
If you are using a ISP provided modem/router you may be able to put the ISP device in passthrough/bridge mode then use your own router.

Who is your internet provider ?
What is the make and model of your modem and router ?

from your phone can you ping your home ip address, when wifi is turned off on the phone.

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I have Comcast (Xfinity) my router (gateway) is a Technicolor TC8305C. With wifi off on my iPhone I can not see WAN or LAN in the browser. Thanks for trying to help. Adam

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi, I do agrree with you and I am fairly handy and I see on my iPhoe I can get an ap called OpenVpn. Would that work and where would I get the parameters to set up BI in OpenVpn? Thanks for any help. Adam Farber
SouthernYankee has more info than I do on this but basically:

1) OpenVPN is your VPN type you setup at home. Once it's set to run you then stop all port forwarding (unless you've a device like a Pi granting the VPN and then you forward only to that device).

2) Your VPN server than creates an OpenVPN configuration file

3) With the iPhone app you import this file. It's got all the key information and all you then need do is put in the password.

4) Now whenever you need to hit your local network you bring that app up, hit connect, then all traffic routes through your home router. It connects in a few seconds, it's really no big deal once setup

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use comcast and I use the asus router with my xfinity modem (Arris TG1682G) n bridger mode.

can you ping your home IP address from the phone.? The ip address should start with 76. Download a ping app to your phone .

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Southern Yankee, you did ask: "from your phone can you ping your home ip address, when wifi is turned off on the phone." As mentioned I CAN NOT get to that IP address in the browser with wifi off. With wifi on I can get to it with the ip address of my LAN followed by the port forwading number, ex: 192.168.X.XXX:XX. I guess the fact that I can not see it with wifi off means there is a problem, perhaps that gives us a clue as to waht to do? I appreciate everyones help, this thing is driving me crazy. Thanks, Adam

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, sorry, you said the WAN address starting 76., I can not reach it from the iphone with wifi or without....Adam

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I was able to figure it out so all set. Thanks to all who tried to help. Adam

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok help the rest of us. What was the problem . What did you fix. Even if it is stupid. I need to know so I can ask the correct question next time !

Last edited:

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, i was pretty sure it was a setting so I went over everything again and found that in my Comcast gateway in the port fiorwding section I had the wronmg IP address for the LAN, the LAN ip address had channged and for some reaon it had been working for a while that way so I simply corrected the setting of the incorrect LAN ip address and problem solved. Thanks again, Adam