New LED Street Lights!

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I've put up several of these around the perimeter of my house. Work quite well and being solar there's no cables to run back to the electrical panel.

Picked them up in Mexico for about $40 USD a piece for 150W LED (1000W incandescent equivalent) models. Just makes sure the panel is mounted where it will get direct sun the majority of the day. Cable can be easily extended.

reflector.jpeg

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
That's great news!

We used to have to take the old LPS bulbs, put on gloves and safety glasses, break the bulb, add some water and cause the sodium to ignite inside a stainless steel crusher, reduce the sodium to harmless salts mixed with glass fragments. We could only do that to, IIRC, about 2 dozen bulbs a day. If a unbroken LPS bulb was thrown into everyday garbage, it could be shattered, rained on and ignite the garbage, possibly causing a dumpster or landfill fire.
Inside joke? I feel like I missed something..
The inside joke is in the above quotes.
And of course the occasional poster that doesn't read.....:banghead:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I run my Dahua 5442's in full color at night. I have new modern LED street lights and the full color produces really good results.
The CRI (Colour Rendering Index) of most LEDS is 85 or above (out of 100) which means they produces more accurate colours. Hence why I'm a great fan of daylight or slightly cool temperature LED's. By comparison HP Sodium can have a CRI in the 20's.

Last edited:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
The CRI (Colour Rendering Index) of most LEDS is 85 or above (out of 100) which means they produces more accurate colours. Hence why I'm a great fan of daylight or slightly cool temperature LED's. By comparison HP Sodium can have a CRI in the 20's.
I installed a daylight temp LED reflector. Much easier to adjust my cameras to.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been seeing street lights being replaced with purple ones. Looks like giant bug zappers.....just waiting for sparks flying around these as bugs get too close....LOL

Here's a video that someone posted about them.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been seeing street lights being replaced with purple ones. Looks like giant bug zappers.....just waiting for sparks flying around these as bugs get too close....LOL

Here's a video that someone posted about them.

It's a manufacturing defect.
The yellowish, phosphoric coating on the outside of the LED that glows white as the bluish-purplish light passes through has failed and is falling off, allowing the LED's blue/purple light to shine through unfiltered.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a manufacturing defect.
The yellowish, phosphoric coating on the outside of the LED that glows white as the bluish-purplish light passes through has failed and is falling off, allowing the LED's blue/purple light to shine through unfiltered.
What's weird is that it's like all the lights turned purple overnight....like a crew cam in and changed all the bulbs one day. What are the odds that they all turned purple the same night? Seemed purposeful. Weird.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What's weird is that it's like all the lights turned purple overnight....like a crew cam in and changed all the bulbs one day. What are the odds that they all turned purple the same night? Seemed purposeful. Weird.
The LED lamps may have been sitting in a warehouse for months, then shipped, bounced around in transit, then handled not so gently by the installers because they are no longer fragile glass lamps so they received less careful handling. If so, it could contribute to the mechanical component of the outside coating's failure process...in other words, they were "close to" or "already failing" when they were installed.

Then as they heat cycle, heat up when turned on and cool down when turned off, (yes, some LED's can get hot) caused expansion and contraction that aggravated the mechanical breakdown of the coating.....just my guess.