New Lorex system at Costco - What do you guys think?

digdoug

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was just in my local Costco and saw they have a new Lorex system they are selling. I picked up a kit to possible replace the Lorex system I got from Costco a year or 2 ago.

The system isn't listed on the US Costco website but is on the Canadian one. It was $799.99 plus tax in store.

https://www.costco.ca/Lorex-8-channel-4K-UHD-NVR-Surveillance-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-4K-Active-Deterrence-Cameras.product.100490428.html

https://www.lorextechnology.com/downloads/ip-cameras/E891AB/E891AB_Series_Spec_Sheet_R1.pdf

Last edited:

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The specs dont match on the sensor size on the 2 links

digdoug

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The specs dont match on the sensor size on the 2 links
Good catch. The PDF linked to on the Costco website matches the one I linked to. The text on the Costco webpage is different though as you pointed out. I haven't opened up the box yet. I came here to see if anyone had tried this system out yet.

• Image Sensor Type: 4K (8MP), 1/2” CMOS
  • Image Sensor 8MP/4K 1/1.8” CMOS

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good catch. The PDF linked to on the Costco website matches the one I linked to. The text on the Costco webpage is different though as you pointed out. I haven't opened up the box yet. I came here to see if anyone had tried this system out yet.

• Image Sensor Type: 4K (8MP), 1/2” CMOS
  • Image Sensor 8MP/4K 1/1.8” CMOS
Hi @digdoug

On another forum other folks in the USA have also reported seeing this kit at the B&M ( in store ) Costcos. I've yet to see it posted to Costco online in the USA. ( going for $799.99 )

Reportedly the interface looks the same as the older versions of that kit - so should be a Dahua OEM imho.

I have yet to ID the cameras on Dahua's OEM international website.

The data I saw from the Lorex website was that it was a 1/1.8" sensor.

Looks like Lorex moved the page ( or removed it ), here is the spec sheet on the camera ( I saved the URL ) - update: ah, I see doug alrealy posted it...
https://www.lorextechnology.com/downloads/ip-cameras/E891AB/E891AB_Series_Spec_Sheet_R1.pdf

pdf dump: ( in case they delete the pdf )

Image Sensor: 8MP/4K 1/1.8” CMOS
Video Format: NTSC
Video Compression: H.265/H.264H (Main Stream & Sub Stream)

Optical
Viewing Angle (Horizontal): 111°
Lens/Lens type: 2.8mm F1.6/ Fixed

Video Output
Resolution/Frame rate: 4K(8MP) @ 15fps, 4MP@ 20fps, 3MP, 2MP @30fps
Effective Pixels: H:3840 x V:2160
HDR: Yes
Termination RJ45

Audio
Microphone/Speaker: Yes/Yes
Siren: Yes
2-Way Talk: Yes

Night Vision
IR Night Vision Range 150ft (45m)/ 98ft (30m)
Color Night Vision™ Yes

Special Features
Deterrence Yes - Warning Light + Siren + 2-Way Talk
Smart Features Person and Vehicle Smart Motion Detection

Additional Specifications
Camera Housing Material Aluminum Alloy
Power Requirements PoE (Power over Ethernet)
Class 0 / 12V DC
Power Consumption
(max)
900mA / 10.8W
Camera Dimensions
(W x D x H)
2.9” × 7.2” × 2.9”
(74mm × 184mm × 74mm)
Camera Weight 1.15lbs / 0.52kg
Operating Temperature -40°F ~ 122°F /-20°C ~ 50°C
Humidity < 95% RH
Environmental Rating IP67 (Indoor/Outdoor)
E891AB-E 6-95529-02146-1
Configuration 4K Ultra HD Smart Deterrence
IP Camera
Package Type Retail Box
Package Dimensions
(W × D × H)
15.0 × 5.3 × 4.9” /
380 × 134 × 125mm
Package Weight 3.7lb / 1.7kg
Package Cube 0.014 cbf / 0.00039 cbm
Junction Box Compatible with: ACJNCD3B
(not included)

update:
Here's the Lorex page on the kit
4K IP Smart NVR System with 8 Active Deterrence Security Cameras

Last edited:

petro

n3wb
Reaction score
Bump anyone know if this E891AB will work with a Dahua NVR?

Reaction score
I wanted this system but was on the fence about the night vision. It says "up to 100ft in total darkness" but I figured that was just with the white LEDs on. I researched everything I could find but there was no mention of IR. I figured I could always get a cheap IR floodlight so I picked up this up yesterday since it's on sale. Curiosity got the better of me so I used a guitar pick to pop the front cover off to see how difficult it would be to replace the white LEDs with IR ones. To my amazement, I discovered it does have an IR led hidden in there! You'd think Lorex would mention that in the camera spec sheet.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted this system but was on the fence about the night vision. It says "up to 100ft in total darkness" ..
Hi @cameraguy33

""up to 100ft in total darkness" - I never trust the vendors stats on their claims of how far a camera can "see" in darkness.. as it is always significantly further you can ID anything smaller than King Kong ..
( ID distance / to the 100 ppf density mark for a "4K"/8MP cameras with a H FOV of 90 degrees is about 25 feet ... )

Reaction score
Oh, I'm aware the distance measurements are BS. The "total darkness" claim was the confusing part. In my backyard, I have no ambient lighting so I need something to be able to see. I knew these cameras had night mode but I couldn't find if the total darkness claim was provided by the white LEDs which I do not want on all the time. I wanted IR LEDs but there's no mention anywhere that these cameras had that. I almost didn't buy this system just because of that. I'm very happy that they do and I don't need an IR floodlight now.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, I'm aware the distance measurements are BS. The "total darkness" claim was the confusing part. In my backyard, I have no ambient lighting so I need something to be able to see. I knew these cameras had night mode but I couldn't find if the total darkness claim was provided by the white LEDs which I do not want on all the time. I wanted IR LEDs but there's no mention anywhere that these cameras had that. I almost didn't buy this system just because of that. I'm very happy that they do and I don't need an IR floodlight now.
Hmmm.. wonder how easy it is to change the lens?

Was taking the face cover difficult?

Reaction score
Very simple. There's a little hole at the bottom of the face plate. I just stuck a guitar pick in there, went around the edge, and popped up each of the 4 little plastic tabs. It snapped right back on when done

Reaction score
I was just in my local Costco and saw they have a new Lorex system they are selling. I picked up a kit to possible replace the Lorex system I got from Costco a year or 2 ago.

The system isn't listed on the US Costco website but is on the Canadian one. It was $799.99 plus tax in store.

https://www.costco.ca/Lorex-8-channel-4K-UHD-NVR-Surveillance-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-4K-Active-Deterrence-Cameras.product.100490428.html

How do you like it? Would you recommend it? Thanks

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My local costco has this kit on sale for 699. Curious about it as well, just to be curious.
I need a 16ch so I won't buy it but still interesting to see what the big box stores are selling.

Heres the box numbers and stuff if anyone needed it. This is southeast USA.

Attachments

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a pity they don't include the sensitivity figures in their pdf's. It would make it much easier to identify the cameras and make a buying decision much easier for anyone interested as you'd havce some idea as to whether these are good or junk at night.

sphinx_888

n3wb
Reaction score
Very simple. There's a little hole at the bottom of the face plate. I just stuck a guitar pick in there, went around the edge, and popped up each of the 4 little plastic tabs. It snapped right back on when done

Can the camera be mounted on a side wall, rotated so that it is facing along the wall and the lens is still level with the ground? I was told by tech support that this is not possible. Are you able to rotate the lens?

Attachments