New member has a concern

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have a few questions after a few weeks with 2 4K and 1 2MP Dahua`s installed and using my Synology NAS.
I get reflections in the 2 4K cameras from the IR. I had them apart and they seem reassembled perfectly. IR off, no reflection. Should I take them back down?I`ll send a grab. 2MP is fine
When using the Synology NAS do you use the camera setting for event detection and grids or the Synologys settings ? I`m not having great luck with either one and missing some events.
Are the 4MP cameras being reviewed an upgrade to the recent and highly recommended 2MP cameras? I really like the 2MP but if the 4MP are the next upgrade they will be my next addition.
Here is an observation and I would like to know if this is something I`m doing wrong or the way it is.I haven`t found an answer I understand.
I used almost all my data plan on my Galaxy S10+ in a few weeks after installing these 3 cameras. I view them using Quick Connect. I assume I am streaming 4K from 2 of them at once plus the 2 MP at 1980x1080.
I tried setting the 4ks to match the 2MP but didn`t seem like alot of difference. Or do people basically not view their cameras from phones unless they get an event alert? I dont get alerts yet for events as I haven`t gotten there yet. Thanks!
Hi @Fishman57

What models of cameras did you pickup? ( re: 2 4K and 1 2MP Dahua - and q: about reflections )

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 2 of the HDW5831R-ZE and 1 HDW5231R-ZE
Hi Fishman57

I get reflections in the 2 4K cameras from the IR. I had them apart and they seem reassembled perfectly.

Q: did you disassemble the "eye ball" part? ( normally most of us do not do that... if you did double check the gasket around the lens seated well against the glass.

hmm... what else to try? Wondering if the "drops" in the image capture are moister related. If you wipe the lens does anything change?

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did not dissassemble the eyeball part. I did have some trouble getting them to sit in the base properly and evenly. I do not see any moisture inside /outside either. And nothing is present during the day ,Also if I turn off the IR the spots go away. I guess I will take them down and examine them when I get some time. Thanks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did not dissassemble the eyeball part. I did have some trouble getting them to sit in the base properly and evenly. I do not see any moisture inside /outside either. And nothing is present during the day ,Also if I turn off the IR the spots go away. I guess I will take them down and examine them when I get some time. Thanks.
It can be IR reflection from something near by.

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As far as I can tell there are no cameras mounted anywhere nearby. I know the people and would know.Our homes are spaced a good distance apart. As far as other sources? I do have an IR converted DSLR...Maybe I`ll try a night picture to see?. I will take them down soon as reassemble them.I did have trouble snapping them into the ring mount . I`m thinking of adding a few in the backyard. I have read your extensive reviews on the 4MP fixed lens turrets and I`m thinking I will stick with the 2MPs . Thanks for your great reviews and comments.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As far as I can tell there are no cameras mounted anywhere nearby. I know the people and would know.Our homes are spaced a good distance apart. As far as other sources? I do have an IR converted DSLR...Maybe I`ll try a night picture to see?. I will take them down soon as reassemble them.I did have trouble snapping them into the ring mount . I`m thinking of adding a few in the backyard. I have read your extensive reviews on the 4MP fixed lens turrets and I`m thinking I will stick with the 2MPs . Thanks for your great reviews and comments.
By nearby, I meant like the soffit just above where the cameras mount that or another light in your yard below the camera or to the side.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I`m thinking I will stick with the 2MPs . Thanks for your great reviews and comments.
Not sure if you've run across it already, but there's a new 2231 "S2" model that has better min. illumination specs vs. the 5231/2231. Biggest difference for most is that there's no built-in mic. If you're looking for more 2MP varifocals, that's one worth checking out IMO.

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is a LED motion light mounted about 15 ft higher and maybe 15 ft to the right of it . But the camera is mounted on a bracket that puts it out about 4". I haven`t had a chance to get to it yetI will try a few things and let you know if I fix it.
Thanks for the mention of the 2231 "s2" model. Aristobrat. I`ll reasearch that one soon. It seems like you need a special camera for every place you want to put one. I am understanding why you all urge not to rush into spending money before you learn what you need. Plus like cell phones technology advances so quickly, there is always an improved model coming out

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a LED motion light mounted about 15 ft higher and maybe 15 ft to the right of it . But the camera is mounted on a bracket that puts it out about 4". I haven`t had a chance to get to it yetI will try a few things and let you know if I fix it.
Thanks for the mention of the 2231 "s2" model. Aristobrat. I`ll reasearch that one soon. It seems like you need a special camera for every place you want to put one. I am understanding why you all urge not to rush into spending money before you learn what you need. Plus like cell phones technology advances so quickly, there is always an improved model coming out
Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera | IP Cam Talk