New member in need of direction.

Reaction score
I was minutes away from buying a Reolink system and found a link to this site on another forum. It appears that I might want to reconsider my purchase based on the thread about Reolink.
After swimming in a sea of information I still have not found a recommendation for a new PoE system. I’ve been enlightened to the aspects of not chasing megapixels. Is there a thread for purchasing a complete system? I‘m afraid at this level of discussion I need to learn how to build one.

Budget is 1K for 8 cameras and nvr unless directed othrwise.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You dodged a mistake!

It is not recommended to buy kit/complete system, but rather to purchase each camera for the goal of that camera.

Almost every big box store, consumer grade cameras and all-in-one-box kits come with either 2.8mm or 3.6mm cameras. I started with the four 2.8mm camera box kit system and I was like "I can place one on each corner of the house and see my whole property and the whole neighborhood." A newbie loves the wide angle "I can see the whole neighborhood" of the 2.8mm fixed wide angle lens. I LOVED IT WHEN I PUT IT UP. I could see everything that would be blocked looking out the windows.

It is easy to get lured in to thinking the wide angle "see the whole neighborhood" because you are watching it and you see a neighbor go by and you are like "Look at that I can tell that is Heather out walking." and "Yeah I can tell our neighbor 4 down just passed by". Or you watch back the video of you walking around and are like "yeah I can tell that is me".

Little do we realize how much WE can identify a known person just by hair style, clothing, walking pace, gait, etc.

Then one day the door checker comes by. Total stranger. Totally useless video other than what time the door checking happened.

Then you realize that this wide-angle see the whole neighborhood comes at a cost and that cost is not being able to IDENTIFY who did it. These 2.8mm wide angle cameras are great overview cameras or to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet of the camera. At 40 feet out you need a different camera.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

It is recommended to buy one varifocal like the 5442-ZE (54IR-ZE) and play and learn from it and then buy cameras to meet your need for each location.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
It is not recommended to buy kit/complete system, but rather to purchase each camera for the goal of that camera.
To further this point.

One camera cannot do it all.

You cannot see everything and still see details. Getting good details does not allow you to see everything; it is a give and take.

This is why a good system will have cameras that complement each other. This is also why a PTZ is a complement to a good, already established system and should not be heavily relied on by itself.

When planning your system and layout start by focusing on choke points and set up fields of view to capture details and give the ability to ID. This means all this camera will be able to do/see is the very narrow scope of its job. You can then deploy a more general overview cam to give context to the details. This overview cam can support one or more of your choke point ID cams.

For instance, as an extreme example. I am deploying this camera. It's only job is to see people walking down the path behind my house. This is what I see 99% of the time when I look at the feed.
1712767055346.png

However, this is what I see when someone walks down the path, 95' feet away.
1712767066561.png

I then have these two cameras I can use to get a better idea/context of what they were doing and where they may have come from or gone to. The kill zone is between the green lines and the camera is on the fence at the bottom, center of the picture. You can see someone just entering the KZ and the 3.6mm focal length of this cam gives absolutely no details other than it might be a person.
1712767078818.png
1712767131245.png

This is the person in the above wide angle shot, and there is no way you would have been able to tell it was a male, in a red, flannel shirt, with sunglasses, and a receding hairline.
1712767140888.png

Below are a couple links to some of my threads which you might find helpful. I have learned a lot since joining and try to pay it forward when possible.

This is my on-going "build" thread.

This is one I put together with images from my journey showing the differences between focal lengths, install heights, changing fields of view, etc.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was minutes away from buying a Reolink system and found a link to this site on another forum. It appears that I might want to reconsider my purchase based on the thread about Reolink.
After swimming in a sea of information I still have not found a recommendation for a new PoE system. I’ve been enlightened to the aspects of not chasing megapixels. Is there a thread for purchasing a complete system? I‘m afraid at this level of discussion I need to learn how to build one.

Budget is 1K for 8 cameras and nvr unless directed othrwise.
Welcome @Tncatadjuster

1st determine what you wish to accomplish before you buy a complete set.

I wasted a lot of time and money buying cameras which were "deals" recommended at another site that failed to do what I needed.

Thus, I highly recommend getting :

1) ONE good 4MP 1/1.8" varifocal IP PoE camera to test and learn with
2) one small PoE switch
3) a good length of cat5e/6 patch cable that is 23 or 24 AWG
4) and setup a test rig ( search here for an example )
and start playing around with possible positions you are considering to place the camera at.

Once you figure out how well that camera works, and get an idea of FOV and possible positions, you can now buy more affordable fixed lens cameras for the positions you have considered.