New member, longtime reader

jrfuda

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I've been using IP cameras for just at 10 years, starting with a bunch of refurbished dlink and linksys cameras in 2006 monitored on webcamxp. Some of them are still working today, though I gave up on webcamxp some time ago.

I'm now in the process of setting up blue iris with new cameras, but will reuse some of the old cameras in well-lit, short distance areas (like the garage which has automation rules that turn lights on whenever any entrance to it is opened).

I bought a couple of gray market hikvision cameras, one with the multilingual firmware and another without... bricked the second trying to downgrade and unbricked it back thanks to instructions posted here. Guess it's not a big deal since Blue Iris will be my interface beyond initial setup. But I'm still in my 30 day return window, so it may still go back. In the meantime I've queried a couple of Amazon sellers about guarantees on firmware versions, will PM milkisbad after this post and have been looking at Nelly's as well.

Looking at a total of around 10 cameras, 4 inside pointing at entrances, 1 in the garage and another 4 or 5 around my 1.5 acre yard, starting with the three gates... probably the last two watching the front and back porch.... possible a couple more to cover everything else in between.

I'm still shopping for a decent PC to run Blue Iris, as I'm not using it in eval mode on my laptop. I was going to get a used dual processor quad corps xeon server, but the rack in my wiring closet won't hold anything that deep, so now I'm looking at some used/off lease dell optiplex i7's in the 3ghz+ range... so far looks like that max a 16GB ram and 2HDDs, despite there being 2 sata3 and 2 sata2 connectors.. maybe they can't all be used at once.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still shopping for a decent PC to run Blue Iris, as I'm not using it in eval mode on my laptop. I was going to get a used dual processor quad corps xeon server, but the rack in my wiring closet won't hold anything that deep, so now I'm looking at some used/off lease dell optiplex i7's in the 3ghz+ range... so far looks like that max a 16GB ram and 2HDDs, despite there being 2 sata3 and 2 sata2 connectors.. maybe they can't all be used at once.
Welcome to the forum. Do not get an old used xeon server. They are power hungry and generally dont perform well with blue iris. You can get a WAY more efficient modern haswell i5 or i7 for 300-500 dollars. Search the forum for optiplex and elitedesk for threads discussing this.

jrfuda

n3wb
Reaction score
I decided to go with an LTN8816 NVR with 4 WD Purple 4TB HDDs plus 5 CMIP7422-28M and 7 CMIP9532 cameras. Received them within 36 hours of ordering!!!

I've got everything setup and working great - just all sitting on my equipment rack for now while I get the server room/wiring closet setup and finish running wire. I decided to take advantage of the great deal on the NVR and cameras and just get everything at once. I've got a big home network, so I also have a powerconnect 2748 48 port switch and 3424P 28 port POE switch. I plan on getting rid of the various 4-8 port switches spread throughout the house with homeruns to the new rack in the wiring closet. The switches worked great, the 3424P is 10/100 but has a GBE uplink that I was able to connect to the GBE 2748, so only the POE devices (cameras, Ubiquiti UAPs, Zwave interface, etc.) will be on the 10/100 network, but since they're all 10/100 anyway, it's no big deal and the GBE uplink gives the switch plenty of room to spare. My only concern is if my ASUS RT-N66U router will be able to handle everything once I have everything connected. I'm using it and another AP for wireless right now, but will disable the wireless (and remove the AP) once my 3 UAPs are installed. I know "just enough" about networking and have no idea about it beyond what I find on forums to keep my network running. Probably need to go to another forum and get advice on the router, as I'm not sure if the enterprise-level switches I've added (cheap on ebay, ~$70 each) take load off or will add load to what the router is doing.

Thanks!