New member looking for home camera system...

grimloktt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello! I'm trying to be a researched consumer on the purchase of an operational security/camera system. So, I googled security camera forum and cam across ipcamtalk. Hopefully you guys/gals can help me out.

I'm currently running wireless D-link cameras and wireless NVRs but my cameras periodically drop. I'm not here to discuss its set-up because I believe I have it running as optimal as possible for a wireless system but would like something a bit more reliable.

Therefore, I'm trying to find a wired system of about 8 (indoor) cameras (give or take) that does the same things my D-link does: Night vision, motion and sound detection, record on schedule or event, captures and transmits audio. PTZ is not super important depending on whether the camera has a wide angle.

I'd also like to be able to review the recorded and real-time video via computer and watch real-time video on my Android phone.

I cannot make heads/tails of what systems are reputable. Could you guys point me in the right direction?

Thnx!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm trying to be a researched consumer on the purchase of an operational security/camera system. So, I googled security camera forum and cam across ipcamtalk. Hopefully you guys/gals can help me out.

I'm currently running wireless D-link cameras and wireless NVRs but my cameras periodically drop. I'm not here to discuss its set-up because I believe I have it running as optimal as possible for a wireless system but would like something a bit more reliable.

Therefore, I'm trying to find a wired system of about 8 (indoor) cameras (give or take) that does the same things my D-link does: Night vision, motion and sound detection, record on schedule or event, captures and transmits audio. PTZ is not super important depending on whether the camera has a wide angle.

I'd also like to be able to review the recorded and real-time video via computer and watch real-time video on my Android phone.

I cannot make heads/tails of what systems are reputable. Could you guys point me in the right direction?

Thnx!
What model dlinks do you have? why not simply wire them up?

grimloktt

n3wb
Reaction score
Yea. I'm thinking of trying that first, honestly. I have the DCS-5222Ls.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
definitely wire them up first, if you plan on upgrading you'll need a cable there one way or another.

Dahua or Hikvision, depending on how you buy.. if you buy local, either is fine.. if you import dahua is better IMHO

Huisun makes a cheap PTZ thats comparable in build quality to the ones you have now for roughly the same price.. much better specs tho.

Wide angles are over rated, unless your indoors rarely do you have an environment where all you want to ID is people within 20ft away.. but then so are PTZ's because they cant look everywhere at once.. it takes layers, I sugest laying down cameras with a bit of zoom at first on hotspots that are choked down and your sure to get a nice ID.. and then if you still want a wide overview you can put a wide angle as high as you can get it and it wont need to ID a damn thing, it can even be a slower shutter so the image is brighter but blurrier, wont hurt running it like that at night because your other cameras are doing the hard work.. it only has to tell you what happened once they left the choke points where you got your best shots.

since you already have existing cameras you should have a good idea how prowlers and criminals move throughout your landscape and natural barriers.. use this knowledge.

this site is great for help picking lenses: http://ipvm.com/calculator

Last edited by a moderator:

grimloktt

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the information! I'm moving into a new to me house in the summer. I'll give the D-Links a try (wired) before expending add'l funds...

lishper

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome!

I've been very happy with Hikvisions myself. Great cameras especially for the price.