New member looking for suggestions

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right general direction.
I'm currently running two Zmodo systems which I ran all CAT5E for because I intended to use the Zmodo stuff as a test and never planned to actually keep it.

I can run cable, build my own computers etc but I don't know what is the best route for me.
Do I want an NVR system, a Blue Iris system running on a small home built PC etc.

My parents are running a 2 camera Lorex system which I think was around $800 and it seems pretty good, much better than the Zmodo stuff but I don't know if that's right for me either.

My hopes and dreams are a system with stable software that I don't have to worry about not recording, crashing etc. One system only needs 4-6 cameras but the other will likely end up with 8 to 12. These are at two different locations. One is residential and one is commercial. I don't mind configuring software, building a pc for it etc whatever it takes for good results.

I could pull new cable if need be, but I'd rather stick with a POE setup if possible.

Where should I start? NVR? DVR? PC?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right general direction.
I'm currently running two Zmodo systems which I ran all CAT5E for because I intended to use the Zmodo stuff as a test and never planned to actually keep it.

I can run cable, build my own computers etc but I don't know what is the best route for me.
Do I want an NVR system, a Blue Iris system running on a small home built PC etc.

My parents are running a 2 camera Lorex system which I think was around $800 and it seems pretty good, much better than the Zmodo stuff but I don't know if that's right for me either.

My hopes and dreams are a system with stable software that I don't have to worry about not recording, crashing etc. One system only needs 4-6 cameras but the other will likely end up with 8 to 12. These are at two different locations. One is residential and one is commercial. I don't mind configuring software, building a pc for it etc whatever it takes for good results.

I could pull new cable if need be, but I'd rather stick with a POE setup if possible.

Where should I start? NVR? DVR? PC?
Welcome @CJ133

Q: "Where should I start?"
A: The cliff notes.

Take your time and save some money by learning first.

btw - just about anything is better than zmodo / funlux / meshare...

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome @CJ133

Q: "Where should I start?"
A: The cliff notes.

Take your time and save some money by learning first.

btw - just about anything is better than zmodo / funlux / meshare...

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
I was looking over The Cliff notes last night and today and I'm kind of stuck between PC and NVR. Not really sure what the best route is with that, but I'm assuming a PC in my case.

Also, how does Lorex rank in the scheme of things? Are they good quality, or similar to Zmodo?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
I was looking over The Cliff notes last night and today and I'm kind of stuck between PC and NVR. Not really sure what the best route is with that, but I'm assuming a PC in my case.
Hi CJ133

If you have a windows PC you can try different VMS software products to get an idea of what you like.

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So,
Just to see if I understand this correctly.

I can use ANY IP camera with a PC setup? Assuming it's a real IP camera and not some Zmodo fake proprietary one? They're all interchangeable?
I then connect them to a POE switch, which connects to my PC via cat5 and then I just load up my software of choice and I'm up and running?

I guess the main thing limiting the number of cameras is mainly my POE switch assuming the PC I use is half way respectable? I'm going to go ahead and guess I can put POE switches anywhere I want in my network and the cameras don't have to all have home runs like the Zmodo stuff either?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So,
Just to see if I understand this correctly.

I can use ANY IP camera with a PC setup? Assuming it's a real IP camera and not some Zmodo fake proprietary one? They're all interchangeable?
I then connect them to a POE switch, which connects to my PC via cat5 and then I just load up my software of choice and I'm up and running?

I guess the main thing limiting the number of cameras is mainly my POE switch assuming the PC I use is half way respectable? I'm going to go ahead and guess I can put POE switches anywhere I want in my network and the cameras don't have to all have home runs like the Zmodo stuff either?
Hi @CJ133

Q: I can use ANY IP camera with a PC setup? Assuming it's a real IP camera and not some Zmodo fake proprietary one? They're all interchangeable?
A: Any IP camera which meets standards like ONVIF can be typically used with VMS software run on a PC which support ONVIF cameras. ONVIF has different levels / "profiles" - some provide more functionality than others. ( some of this also applies to NVRs ). Ideally, if you use Dahua's OEM VMS software you want to match it with Dahua OEM Cameras as they "speak" native Dahua API to each other and will give you the best compatibility. Same for Hikvision OEM VMS software and cameras. Some VMS software is made by 3rd parties who do not make / sell cameras. Milestone and Blue Iris are examples of those - and they make the software to support more OEMs of camera - again the cameras need to follow "open standards". 3rd party software like Blue Iris does more of the compute in the PC - so you will need a more powerful PC.

Q: Running cables.. and home runs.
A: Yes, you can build a more complex network - however for the most reliable setup I typically like to reduce the number of equipment and equipment running in hot / humid locations and do "home runs" to a network closet / data closet. This imho is the best way to run the cables.. with a possible exception for detached buildings like a garage / workshop.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't run NVRs, only Blue Iris on a PC because I consider it to be much better. But it does take more time and computer expertise. If you're okay with that, you should look at this page: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

Just a couple weeks ago I put together a BI system for someone, running about 510 megapixels per second of total video. I used a refurbished dell workstation with an i7-4790 CPU, 12 GB of RAM (purchased via dell's own ebay listing, this cost about $235 w/tax). It came with Windows 8.1, which I upgraded to 10 using a USB drive I had prepared with Microsoft's media creation tool. Win10 activated for free, no problem. Then I swapped the included HDD with a 256 GB crucial SSD and installed fresh Windows 10 using the same USB installer. Because I had previously activated Win10 on this system, it activated again no problem without requiring a key or additional purchase. Finally I added a 4 TB Western Digital Purple HDD to store video clips on. I specifically plugged this HDD in AFTER Win10 was fully installed so the installer wouldn't get any goofy ideas about putting boot sectors on the large drive or some such nonsense. I've had that happen many times before and it is a nightmare when upgrading drives.

All together this cost similar to what a high quality 8 channel NVR might have cost, but in my opinion the result is a lot better.

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @CJ133

Q: I can use ANY IP camera with a PC setup? Assuming it's a real IP camera and not some Zmodo fake proprietary one? They're all interchangeable?
A: Any IP camera which meets standards like ONVIF can be typically used with VMS software run on a PC which support ONVIF cameras. ONVIF has different levels / "profiles" - some provide more functionality than others. ( some of this also applies to NVRs ). Ideally, if you use Dahua's OEM VMS software you want to match it with Dahua OEM Cameras as they "speak" native Dahua API to each other and will give you the best compatibility. Same for Hikvision OEM VMS software and cameras. Some VMS software is made by 3rd parties who do not make / sell cameras. Milestone and Blue Iris are examples of those - and they make the software to support more OEMs of camera - again the cameras need to follow "open standards". 3rd party software like Blue Iris does more of the compute in the PC - so you will need a more powerful PC.

Q: Running cables.. and home runs.
A: Yes, you can build a more complex network - however for the most reliable setup I typically like to reduce the number of equipment and equipment running in hot / humid locations and do "home runs" to a network closet / data closet. This imho is the best way to run the cables.. with a possible exception for detached buildings like a garage / workshop.

Ah ok.

So why do some go with a 3rd party software like Blue Iris over the OEMs? Whats the main benefits?