New member needs some help

mikey299

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to this forum and to security cameras in general. I've decided to put two cameras outside my house because last week two guys tried to break in at night.
I've studied a lot about cameras these past few days, learned a lot but there is still so much I don't know. Thats why I'd like your advice on which camera to buy. I've been leaning towards this one (mainly because it's so popular, has 4mp and a 1/1.8" sensor) but if you guys have something even better for my needs, feel free to suggest something else :)

I'd like a camera that:

-is somewhat user friendly - thats why I was attracted to reolink in the first place (yeah I know). I'm not a technical person. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about cameras, but would still like to have them installed (and working) as soon as possible (without getting too frustrated in the process )

-I would rather not spend more than 150$, 200$ on it

-is POE of course

-is vandal proof (i'm afraid someone will damage it since i plan to install it only 5 feet high)

-detects motion at least 50 - 65 feet away

-can identify a moving suspect in the dark 20 feet away (it's just a number...if that's not possible in my price range, please correct me)

Keep in mind I have two motion detection floodlights (1700 lumens each but they are not 100% reliable, especially in winter - they run on solar power and winters here are very cloudy). I will also trim those trees so the cameras will see even better.

I'm attaching 2 pictures for you guys to see where I intend to put the cameras and 1 picture to show you where the floodlights are.

Thank you guys. I appreciate your help.
Mike

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome.

The 5442-ZE is a great camera, but IDENTIFY will not be possible at 50-65 feet away. That would be the 5442-Z4E or the 5241-Z12E.

Stay away from any camera labeled as Full Color or ColorVu, etc. as they require light to stay in color 24/7 - either you need to have enough light or be willing to use the built-in white LED lights which many choose not to use as it attracts bugs and makes the camera stick out.

See this thread for the most commonly recommended cameras based on distance to IDENTIFY and represent the best overall value in terms of performance day and night and cost.

mikey299

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome.

The 5442-ZE is a great camera, but IDENTIFY will not be possible at 50-65 feet away. That would be the 5442-Z4E or the 5241-Z12E.

Stay away from any camera labeled as Full Color or ColorVu, etc. as they require light to stay in color 24/7 - either you need to have enough light or be willing to use the built-in white LED lights which many choose not to use as it attracts bugs and makes the camera stick out.

See this thread for the most commonly recommended cameras based on distance to IDENTIFY and represent the best overall value in terms of performance day and night and cost.

Thanks for the quick response. I have read that post (that's why I'm leaning towards 5442-ZE). I want my camera to only detect motion at 50-65 feet away (so I will know when someone jumps over the fence and is on my yard). Distance where I would like to IDENTIFY the suspect would be of course much lower (if possible around 20 feet). Is that realistic?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes in that case that could be possible depending on the field of view and angle. Looking at the height and the pictures you posted, yes that should work.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@mikey299 If you want to get a head shot, then mounting camera lower helps, especially if the intruder is wearing a cap and or tilting his head down.

Best way to know for sure is to test mount one of the above cameras on a 2x4 post. Play with the height as you pretend to be an intruder at night.

Personally, I don't worry about vandalism when I mount my cameras lower because I want that clear head shot. Cameras can be replaced. Anyways, if you get one of the above Dahua cameras, you can tell that they are pretty tough.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I want my camera to only detect motion at 50-65 feet away (so I will know when someone jumps over the fence and is on my yard).
What is the purpose for this? Are you expecting the cam to notify you of that motion? If so, then expect lots of false notifications.

How are you expecting to monitor and capture video? Are you going to get an NVR or use a software app like BlueIris? Either way, I recommend that you record continuously and not just when motion is detected. Otherwise you can miss a lot of important information.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I agree with continuous recording.

If you buy one of the above Dahua cameras, try out IVS with human detection, should be very reliable with few or 0 false alarms.

mikey299

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the purpose for this? Are you expecting the cam to notify you of that motion? If so, then expect lots of false notifications.

How are you expecting to monitor and capture video? Are you going to get an NVR or use a software app like BlueIris? Either way, I recommend that you record continuously and not just when motion is detected. Otherwise you can miss a lot of important information.
How far away would you suggest that I set it then? I would like to detect the trespasser as soon as possible.

I was thinking about going the easiest (and the cheapest ) way - SD card and FPS. I know I will only have a few days of 24/7 recordings but I think thats enough (for now). Like I said I'm not a technical guy and would like to keep it as simple as possible.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If that image above is your field of view, you would get fairly close to the area in green as IDENTIFY and the area in yellow to detect.

During the day you could probably stretch the detect a little more into the paver area to the left and probably the garden. But at night the area would be reduced.

1693419845042.png

mikey299

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you guys think about vandal proof (IK10) cameras? Aren't you worried that a criminal (who may even wear a mask so you dont get a clear shot of him) will just kick or punch your camera when he sees it?

I mean even if you (or cops) detain him and charge him, you are still out of what, 200$

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If they want to damage it, they will damage it. Vandal proof won't prevent spray paint or silly string LOL. Then you just spent even more for a camera that is now useless.

The turret is fairly resilient - the locking screw holds the angle pretty well.

You have to figure that you at least get great images until it is damaged that will hopefully show some identifiable feature that someone seeing it on the news would know who it is - clothing, gait, appearance, height, weight, all come into play.

But you hope most see it and simply move on to a neighbor.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@mikey299 In addition to @wittaj quality advice, I've been running ip cameras at my home for 7+ yrs.

0 incidents of anyone vandalizing my cameras. If they break a camera, heck, it's a great opportunity to replace with even better cameras. Wife will understand.

Start small, get 1 Dahua and get quality images of a person at night. Then go from there.

P.S. If you feel like an intruder is going to vandalize, damage to your windows and other stuff on your property will probably cost you more to repair. Better to get some quality night images so you have some proof for the police.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What do you guys think about vandal proof (IK10) cameras? Aren't you worried that a criminal (who may even wear a mask so you dont get a clear shot of him) will just kick or punch your camera when he sees it?

I mean even if you (or cops) detain him and charge him, you are still out of what, 200$
one solution to this is more cameras .. ideally want multiple chances to get a good image ..

if they are wearing masks, perhaps you can ID the car or vehicle they use .. thus putting a camera to cover the street is a good idea

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll be fine with the camera you selected. Its a 5442 series VF turret

Here's its brother in bullet format, but same guts, same sensor, same varifocal. I think I have this zoomed to about 4mm or so
The Amazon truck is at 33ft. You can easily ID the delivery person at 20+ft (sorry for the overcast, we just got done chasing a Hurricane off, pesky things)
View attachment Home_ch2_20230830152307_20230830152337.mp4

With that camera, you will want to use whats called IVS - its smart AI driven detection vs old fashioned motion detection. You basically draw lines on the scene, with direction, and filter ONLY Humans or Vehicles or Both, reducing if not eliminating false alerts. Notice I have a bunch, some for any vehicle or human going ANY direction, some just for humans, some just for vehicles traveling a certain direction. I got 3 alerts on the above scene. The vehicle pulling up, the human getting out, and the human at the 10-15ft point with a separate intrusion zone.
5442Z-IVS.png

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your normal camera (or two) attached to the front of your house, capture whatever they capture. Add to the mix street facing cameras at your boundary line and all of a sudden, you have more of a storey to tell and show. You have to be creative with boundary line (or close to the boundary line) camera placement, think concealment and camouflage.

Reaction score
Aren't you worried that a criminal (who may even wear a mask so you dont get a clear shot of him) will just kick or punch your camera when he sees it?
There have been very few times anyone here has had an issue with this. But there have been countless videos posted of perps totally disregarding cams. Including those that gave the finger to the cam as they committed their crimes. Just the other day one was posted where the perps sat in a car looking at the cams to the point that the cam got great shots of their faces. The driver actually leaned over the passenger to look at the cam through the rolled down window.

Perps do not believe that they will be caught, and if they are, they do not believe that they will be punished.

mikey299

n3wb
Reaction score
Great answers everbody. You have so much knowledge :cool:

I would still like an IK10 rated camera though (for my own peace of mind). My security situation is such that I don't fear some common criminal (lights, cameras and a strong door would change their mind for sure) but I'm afraid I'm targeted (someone is out for revenge - he lost a big battle in court and he told me before that I will get it one way or the other). I'm not worried about vandals as well but rather those that would come after me and in the process break the cameras (it seems like I'm more worried about the cameras than myself :lol:)

Is there any version of 5442 that is also rated IK10 and that it's not that much pricier?

Also do you think I can get away (at least at first when I'm figuring things out) with saving 24/7 recordings on SD card (instead of using NVR or Blue Iris)? How many days of recordings can I expect?

mikey299

n3wb
Reaction score
Great answers everbody. You have so much knowledge :cool:

I would still like an IK10 rated camera though (for my own peace of mind). My security situation is such that I don't fear some common criminal (lights, cameras and a strong door would change their mind for sure) but I'm afraid I'm targeted (someone is out for revenge - he lost a big battle in court and he told me before that I will get it one way or the other). I'm not worried about vandals as well but rather those that would come after me and in the process break the cameras (it seems like I'm more worried about the cameras than myself :lol:)

Is there any version of 5442 that is also rated IK10 and that it's not that much pricier?

Also do you think I can get away (at least at first when I'm figuring things out) with saving 24/7 recordings on SD card (instead of using NVR or Blue Iris)? How many days of recordings can I expect?
Or at least something like that placed over the camera?

Attachments