bobgodd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. New to the site, as you can see by my post count.

Currently we have an old LaView DVR with 4 [not so good] bullet cameras, and I wanted something a little better. Initially I thought I'd just buy a better quality camera for the driveway and front door, but apparently all of the good quality cameras are IP cameras, so I will need to upgrade to something network-centric.

Some concerns I have:
1. I'd prefer the system and/or any cameras not be able to access the internet at all. No cloud services.
2. Looks don't bother me too much, but it would be nice if the cameras don't stand out too much, such that it becomes an eyesore.

Needs/wants:
1. High resolution for the driveway. Using the current camera, it's obvious that unless something is within a few feet of the camera itself, it will be hard to identify.
2. Not terribly interested in a doorbell camera, so placement at or near the front door needs to be figured out. I'm not against making holes in stucco and running cable if necessary.
3. Ideally for me, I'd like the system to run off of a NAS, as it is something we've been interested in purchasing already. It will fill multiple needs that we currently have, so if it can run on a NAS, all the better.
4. I am not opposed to Blue Iris, but as I will not be using a windows machine, I'm not sure if it will work. Has anyone here had experience with ZoneMinder, or Synology Surveillance Station, or even Milestone?
5. RTSP is important, as I intend to integrate one or two of the streams into my home automation platform.
Edit: forgot to add, that mobile capabilities are important as well. The ability to view a stream via an app would be appealing and help the WAF.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and help. I've skimmed through the wiki over the last couple days before posting, there's a lot of stuff in there!

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest read the info in the WIKI. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

bobgodd

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. As I mentioned in my post, I perused the wiki for a few days before posting. Skimming, to be fair, but I did not see much mention of any other management software besides blue iris, thus my question.

I came here in search of impressions from people using Linux based options, such as zoneminder, or even shinobi?