quiet.tea

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to this community and to wired IP surveillance cameras in general. After just reading through some of the threads, I see there is a wealth of knowledge here. I do have experience in networking, cybersecurity, and computers in general. Over the last couple of years, I have used various wireless cameras, including AC and battery-powered, pan-tilt, and dual cameras, utilizing both local and cloud storage. A couple of them are Google Nest Cams, and they recently announced the end of support for some of the older models. That got me thinking that this is a good time to explore expanding to PoE cameras and improve the quality of my 24x7 recordings at the same time.

I already have many of the components required for PoE cameras, including the following:
1. PoE+ capable network switches
2. Two Synology NAS devices with Surveillance Station, currently used to store video footage from my Reolink Video Doorbell WiFi
3. A firewall that also functions as the main router for various networks I have set up
4. Bulk Cat6 cables with connectors and a crimper

I must admit that I live in a relatively safe part of the city, so this is more of a hobby for me. Some of the more recent threads here recommend a varifocal camera to test out coverage, so I am planning to order the EmpireTech IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 from Andy as a starting point. I am also considering the EmpireTech IPC-Color4K-T to see how well it performs at night. The tricky part for me is running the cables to the locations of the new cameras, as it is difficult for me to access certain parts of my attic. I am planning to have them mounted on the eaves to make the installation easier.

I'm sure I will have some questions as I move along this project and appreciate advice and feedback!

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The tricky part for me is running the cables to the locations of the new cameras, as it is difficult for me to access certain parts of my attic.
I also had the same issue not being able to get to certain spots in my attic due to the tight space. What I did was cut a hole where I wanted to mount the camera in my eves outside, then used fiberglass rods fished through the hole until I could grab them. I attached the harbor freight link to the ones I use all the time.