new mobile app launch - make your existing ip cameras smart

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm new to ipcamtalk and wanted to introduce my new mobile app aiwatch. It's a free mobile app that makes your existing ip camera/nvr/dvr smart with features like,

* Intelligent motion detection and alerts. Accurately detect person, animal and vehicles from unwanted motion
* 10 seconds Pre-record Motion Detection. You don't miss the moments before the motion
* Use any device as just monitor or receiver or both. We recommend using your spare phone or tablet at home as monitor and your primary phone as viewer.
* Free upload to your Google drive account
* Supports most ip-cameras, nvr and dvr

The app is still in early stages. Happy to hear any feedback from you guys.

Thanks,
Ram.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hiya @Ram Kuppusamy , What ports do I need to open on my NVR before I can use this? I have been advised against opening any ports or any shenanighans with uPNP because of security vulnerabilities....

What are the charges per subscription?

Reaction score
@Rebelx Most nvr's expose the video stream using rtsp or http/https protocol. You will have to open up both tcp/udp port used by your video stream. For eg, if your nvr uses the video url like
rtsp://<host>:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0 then port 554 will have to be exposed. In case you need help finding your video stream url, please use Connecting iSpy to IP Cameras to generate the url.

Also, if your mobile device/tablet will always be in the same wifi as using your nvr, most likely you don't need to open any ports. It's a forever free app with ads. To remove ads there is a one time inapp-purchase of $3.99.

Reaction score
Agreed, when you open the port of your ipcam/nvr there is a security risk. Given that even major brands had security issues and slow to identify/fix them, it's something to be concerned about. I personally use the app in client -> server mode. Below is the setup,

1. Use a spare android phone/tablet to monitor the ipcams. The monitoring device should be in the same wifi as your ipcams, so no need to open up any ports.
2. Use your primary phone as receiver to get smart alerts
3. You need to connect your Google account to sync the two devices. The only permission requested is access to Google drive and only to a folder called "aiwatch".
4. Monitoring device continuously monitors and uploads video clips of your interest (person detected, vehicle detected, etc) to your google drive account
5. Receiving phone receives a push notification of the alerts and downloads the video clips from your google drive account.

In the interest of security and transparency more details below,
1. If you go with client -> server configuration, there is a little bit of cloud service involved to send push notification and sync data between devices.
2. If you use the same device for monitoring and receiving and don't connect your google account, no data leaves your device.
3. And since there is so little cloud service involved and everything happens in your phone/tablet, I can support the free version of this app.
4. No unnecessary permissions requested by app

Cheers,
Ram.