New Nvr setup for my store (and first time user of nvr)

Shengli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

So i have decided or rather me and the misses have decided :) to install cameras in our store.

We sell many things but what we have problems with is.
Small jewelry (not expensive gold one but more common ones) and scarfs.

We had multiple thief families, coming in our store in 3-5 person groups. Spreading around the store. Even though we are 2 set of eyes. these people are fast! Most the time we have to run over to check the goods after they left, and then call security.

We have caught thieves outside with the guards 1 time but they split up while we was chasing them (and had hidden the stolen goods) So there was no punishment, since the goods where nowhere to be found. Now if i get the actual theft on camera that is equally good evidence as capture the with the stolen goods on them.

So we want cameras for several reasons.

First.
To scare off the amateurs and younger ones.

Second.
If we think someone took something we could just watch live the live feed in our computer from the cameras angle. Or watch playback right after they left.

Third.
Like i wrote if the theft in on camera then its evidence and can help punish the thief's

I have like others decided for all Dahua equipment for some reason :)
But since i have never used CCTV's or for that matter Nvr solutions i only know what i have read from internet and puzzled together.

Our store is around 100 square meters and is rectangular shaped.
I was thinking about getting 6-8, 2-3mp cameras @ 30 fps (we use pal in my country and i am an fpsholic)
I don't know how much a 2-3mp @ 30fps used in mbps so i have a hard time calculating which Dahua nvr box i should get as the range from 160 - 320Mbps.

I can also not see what chipset they run on other than Dahua write dual and quad core.
Also i was thinking about running it with POE from the Nvr.

So i have been looking at all these.

4216-8p-4k
4208-8p-4k
4216-16p
5208-8p
5216-16-4ks2
7208-8p
7216-8p

The cameras i have not used that much time one. But i think going dome's would be the best solution possible with audio.
My wife is chinese so i will purchase all this directly from the factories in China so the cost is not really an issue.

I hope some of your guys can throw be a bone in what direction would be the best for us. Thank you in advance.
(sorry for any spelling error, i am currently working) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For the money and your situation, I would go with 4MP cams. Since you would want really good detail, especially of the people that enter your store, I would go with a 4mm or even 6mm camera facing the entry so that you get excellent facial shots as they enter. If you can post actual photos of the inside of your business, that would help us give you actual layout options.

Shengli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Blake

I took some pictures and marked a bit on the original blueprint. Hope it helps.

Store.
store.jpg
Risk areas.
risk areas.jpg
Picture angles.

pictures.jpg
Camera pictures. (p1-p11)
p1.jpgp2.jpgp3.jpgp4.jpgp5.jpgp6.jpgp7.jpgp8.jpgp9.jpgp10.jpgp11.jpg

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Okay so lets try to do this in order.
P1- 6mm camera somewhere on the wall to the left and above the laptop in the picture aimed directly at the front door to catch close up of people entering your store since the door opens in and to the right.
P2-P11 I would go with all 4mm lenses. I think 2.8 in that small of an area might be too much of bow effect.
Is there access above in the ceiling or will you have to run emt or wiremold around room?

Shengli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its Concrete so all the wires will have to run along the top of the wall where the walls meet the ceiling.

What about hardware, What would you suggest. And is 6 cameras overkill?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can do Dahua turret cams or Hikvision turret cams. Go with 4MP

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You put up as many cameras as you need to protect your property. Six is not overkill. Think of it like this. If they see not only your sign stating that video surveillance is in place but see all the cameras around the store, it's a deterrent.

Shengli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For a 4MP cam @ 30fps how much mbps would it use? I am conserned for the Throughput of the nvrs

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't worry about it with NVR consuming mbps it's not an issue. NVR does all the work. The network connection is used for you to log into nvr for remote access.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your other option is to purchase a HP EliteDesk 800G1 with I7-4770 processer and run Blue Iris software on it. This is my preferred method.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you already have or know of an electrician you can hire to run conduit for you? I really like the the Hikvision mounting boxes for the turret cams. They are a little on the large size, but are solid and look very professional. You can go with smaller dome cameras, but for the price point of the turrets, that's what I use.

Shengli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was just going to run the cams over cat6 poe. Is there a max range?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I was just going to run the cams over cat6 poe. Is there a max range?
330 feet (100 meters) is what standards say are the max, however many people have run upto 500 feet with high quality cable.

Also you can get away with Cat 5e, what you are deploying doesn't require Cat6e however, if you want to by all means it will work.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
For a 4MP cam @ 30fps how much mbps would it use? I am conserned for the Throughput of the nvrs
11 Cameras running High/Highest quality video setting @ 4.1mp with 30fps (be aware a lot of 4.1mp cams only run at 20fps) will average around 165mbs so most any NVR can handle this throughput. Even if you bump up the quality and kbps you should still only be around 200mbps so you should be fine with just about anything you select that isn't "basic".

Don't worry about it with NVR consuming mbps it's not an issue. NVR does all the work. The network connection is used for you to log into nvr for remote access.
Also YOU DO need to be concerned about throughput - NVR's have limitations on the amount of bandwidth they can process. Most NVR's both 8 port and 16 port have limitations of around a max of 200mbps normally. So if you have 11 cameras into the NVR you can NOT exceed 200mbps total recording processing at any time, this has nothing to do with the 10/100 or 10/100/1000 port for remote access...

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you already have or know of an electrician you can hire to run conduit for you? I really like the the Hikvision mounting boxes for the turret cams. They are a little on the large size, but are solid and look very professional. You can go with smaller dome cameras, but for the price point of the turrets, that's what I use.
Since you have a drop ceiling you shouldn't need any conduit or mounting boxes. You should be able to mount everything to the drop ceiling tiles and it will be smooth and clean. With ceiling tiles if its a heavy camera you will want to use larger washers on the top side of the tile to support the weight. I honestly don't see a need for conduit, mounting boxes, or exposed cable in this environment.

*I stand corrected after having post #5 pointed out - guess it is conduit and mounting boxes after all

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Since you have a drop ceiling you shouldn't need any conduit or mounting boxes. You should be able to mount everything to the drop ceiling tiles and it will be smooth and clean. With ceiling tiles if its a heavy camera you will want to use larger washers on the top side of the tile to support the weight. I honestly don't see a need for conduit, mounting boxes, or exposed cable in this environment.
See post 5.

Shengli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You put up as many cameras as you need to protect your property. Six is not overkill. Think of it like this. If they see not only your sign stating that video surveillance is in place but see all the cameras around the store, it's a deterrent.
Yeah it would be great if it completely prevented theft. No matter what it will at least bring it down.

Shengli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your other option is to purchase a HP EliteDesk 800G1 with I7-4770 processer and run Blue Iris software on it. This is my preferred method.
I think i will just stick with a NVR box for now. Since i don't have the time for Custom software and setup. Even though it would be fun :)