http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/DS-7608NI-S.pdf

DS-7608NI-S back_enl.jpg

generally cheaper.

8 poe inputs you are looking at minimum
DS-7608NI-E2/8P
but read my previous posts of its limitations
you may want to consider
DS-7608-NI-SE-P/8

or the 16 channel versions depending on the cameras you are using and the required resolution / bandwidth

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd be using all Hiks with 3MP cams. Which 16ch would you guys Recco?

Reaction score
Take it with a pinch of salt, but I have just received an answer by a prominent Aliexpress supplier telling me "NVR project and family the same, just project support smart IPC. all NVR and camera with english language."

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is "... support smart IPC."?
Which cameras are considered smart ?
What functionality is supported by these "smart IPCS"?

mrwhite

n3wb
Reaction score
Take it with a pinch of salt, but I have just received an answer by a prominent Aliexpress supplier telling me "NVR project and family the same, just project support smart IPC. all NVR and camera with english language."
are they able to provide the exact model no of the FAMILY version if you ask ?

that would be useful to obtain the exact Hikvision spec sheet to compare with the PROJECT one

mahockey

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the 4ch version ordered along with x3 DS-2CD3332-I 3MP Turrets from China (Aliexpress)

They have actually landed in Ireland and are with postal sorting centre, so fingers crossed customs miss my package:sad2:

I have made enquiries to Hikvision as I am having concerns about:

-Virtual hosting
-Compatible HD types

I got sent the official spec sheet for this range, and a very comprehensive spreadsheet showing all Hikvision NVR models and their compatible HD's.

You guys might find it beneficial, so here you go...

Model(s) range Spec sheet: [FONT=&amp]http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014082721563617670.pdf

HD/NVR Compatible spreadsheet:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]http://www.hikvision.com/europe/support_more.asp?id=306

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]I am still awaiting a definitive answer to see if the firmware on these models supports 'Virtual Host', but as soon as I have an answer I will let you guys know[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp].[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

mrwhite

n3wb
Reaction score
it allows you to log in direct to the camera, via the nvr, through a pc/laptop on the same network and access the additional settings that are not accessible on nvr menus

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the answer is no (but I will find out myself in a few days), my contingency plan 'may' be to connect the cams to the NVR via a POE switch thus negating any need for a virtual host.

Maybe :rolleyes:

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Errr....

Been playing with a DS-7804N-E1/4P all day, please please don't ask at the moment how I did it.... but the answer seems to be yes.

Cam connected directly into NVR port, is accessible both via the NVR interface and also the cameras ip address, thus the extra POE switch isn't required, Yayyyy

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a feature "Virtual Host" in the NVR interface?
What is the NVR IP? (i.e. how do you access the NVR?)
What is the camera IP? (i.e. how do you access the camera?)
What is the NVR gateway IP to the internal NVR PoE switch for the cameras?

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a feature "Virtual Host" in the NVR interface?
No (not as far as I can see).

What is the NVR IP? (i.e. how do you access the NVR?)
Find the IP using the SADP tool from Hikvision on your pc, and using the tool... change it to something more suitable for your network.

What is the camera IP? (i.e. how do you access the camera?)
Set your cameras up first and make a note, or use the SADP tool as above.

What is the NVR gateway IP to the internal NVR PoE switch for the cameras?
The gateway is to your router so use that one.

I've found that it seems to be working cos I used one of the NVR camera ports as well as the lan output to link into my switch (yeah this means you loose a port... but if you need to use that port then put the camera to a switch and power it with a separate power supply instead of POE.

Good luck :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So did you manually set the cameras up with an IP address valid for your normal network, ie NOT one in the POE default segment of 192.168.254.0/24?
If so, presumably you'd also have to manually specify that same address on the POE port that you connected the camera to.
And did you then set the connection type for the POE port back to Plug&Play after having it at manual to change the default address?

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, manually set up the cameras first (with SADP to 102.168.1.XX and accessed through a browser to do fine settings, after that then connected to the NVR and as you said... set the NVR ports manually to the same addresses, I've played with plug and play and ended up loosing access to a couple of cameras on the NVR :rolleyes:, brains tired so tomorrow I'll see if I can get them back, lol

thestooge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just joined up after recently purchasing a DS-7608N-E2/8P and 8 Hik cams of different models, installed with a 3TB Western Digital Purple. All good and very easy to use plug-n-play. Thought I might chime in with a couple of notes myself:

- No Virtual Host menu function here, and I don't have a POE switch to change addresses of the cams separately. I can't access the cams via their IP address because the only thing that shows in SADP is the NVR. I have used the switch loopback method to log directly into the cam itself. Not being able to access the cams directly is no big deal for me, but just adding the info.
- Some functions from the cameras are missing, so need to be set outside of the NVR. As mentioned, I used the loopback method to turn off the IR LEDs on a couple of cams, because this wasn't possible via NVR.
- The DS-7608N-E2/8P does seem to have alarm IN/OUT, but I am not using them. There is a Alarm Setting menu in the web interface.
- All set up with standard IPs: NVR is 192.168.1.x, and the NVR gateway/internal cameras are 192.168.254.x
- NVR is installed in pantry, and I have noticed a couple of "abnormal shutdowns" at random times. A couple of times it was when flicking through the web interface menus quickly and it stopped responding, another time it was random at midnight (I heard the unit beep when I was having a beer in front of the TV, no one using the interface). Wondering if it is due to heat in the pantry...the fan is also quite loud as reported elsewhere in this thread.
- Seems to work seamlessly with iVMS, but I prefer the web interface. I have installed the cams on the appropriate ports to view them in the order I want in the Live View panel.
- Remote access seems to be working fine, but not tested properly yet. I have changed the HTTP port and using a long password after those news reports of cams on the Russian site...

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
- Remote access seems to be working fine, but not tested properly yet. I have changed the HTTP port and using a long password after those news reports of cams on the Russian site...
Can you please indicate to the forum the link to these Russian site reports?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
and I have noticed a couple of "abnormal shutdowns" at random times. A couple of times it was when flicking through the web interface menus quickly and it stopped responding, another time it was random at midnight (I heard the unit beep when I was having a beer in front of the TV, no one using the interface).
What's the firmware version on your NVR? The DS7816N-E2/8P I recently bought has NVR_(78,79-Ex)QDBL_CN_STD_V3.0.8_140825
I see there is a NVR_(76-SE,V,VP)BL_ML_STD_V3.0.9_140928 out there.

Interesting on the Russian website aggregating all those open camera feeds. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30121159
It's long been the case that if you know some of the brand-specific CGI strings for IP cameras you can get large numbers of hits on Google searches where people and companies have just exposed their feeds directly to the internet. In the UK it's an offence to access another computer system without permission - despite the owner placing it in public view.