New range of Hikvision IP NVR's?

glenncol

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, love the thread and i would like to thank all who have contributed to ty and decipher the crazy Hikvision model numbers

I am in need of a NVR at the moment for 4 Hikvision 2332-I cameras soon to be 6 with a slight possibility of 7 cameras in the future, i am running a Cisco 8 port POE switch so if the NVR comes with POE or not does not matter. I see the DS-7608NI-E2-8P is a fairly popular model which if i read correctly is the project version.

What is the difference between the Project and the family?

Then we have the Engineering version linked below, this does not have POE ports but would it be as powerful as 7608NI-E2-8P considering it has 16 ports?
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hikvision-NVR-16CH-Network-Video-Recorder-HDMI-NVR-Up-to-6MP-5MP-3MP-1000M-Engineering-project/1021839_2041536563.html

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So how does virtual host work, ie what are the disadvantages of not having that function and are there workarounds?

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the difference between the Project and the family?
I asked that very question from my preferred Aliexpress seller, and was told... "the project version = support for smart IPC"

So as I have no intention of wanting to get any 'smart' cams, I went for the family version (I have read that some sellers have ones that only have Chinese menus, so check that its been 'englished', lol

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So how does virtual host work
Now thats the $1000000 question, but before I can answer that.... different folks have different ideas on exactly what 'virtual host' means and what they want it to achieve, so if you can tell me what you need to do.. then I'll try and explain a bit better.

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

thestooge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The above method works for accessing cameras. It's just a bit of work if the NVR is located elsewhere, in my case at the top of the pantry, so I have to take my laptop there and rearrange cables. I don't need to do it often though. Note that you obviously loose a POE port while plugging your laptop in, as I have 8 cameras one of them can't be used while I am tinkering.

Not sure of your 2nd question, is that NVR plugged into the switch as well, or is the switch behind the NVR? If both NVR and cameras are plugged into the switch (and you have no cameras behind the NVR), then you shouldn't even need to use this method - the cameras should be accessible via their IP? Someone else care to confirm?

thestooge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now thats the $1000000 question, but before I can answer that.... different folks have different ideas on exactly what 'virtual host' means and what they want it to achieve, so if you can tell me what you need to do.. then I'll try and explain a bit better.
It has been explained pretty clearly elsewhere on the forum - the NVR let's you access the cameras behind it by punching a hole through its own NAT with a different set of ports. If you want to access cameras behind the NVR, use the appropriate port number and Virtual Host will let the data traverse the NVR's NAT.

Without Virtual Host, you can't see anything connected behind the NVR via the network (they are only accessible with the NVR's software).

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The above method works for accessing cameras. It's just a bit of work if the NVR is located elsewhere, in my case at the top of the pantry, so I have to take my laptop there and rearrange cables. I don't need to do it often though. Note that you obviously loose a POE port while plugging your laptop in, as I have 8 cameras one of them can't be used while I am tinkering.
Thank you!

Not sure of your 2nd question, is that NVR plugged into the switch as well, or is the switch behind the NVR? If both NVR and cameras are plugged into the switch (and you have no cameras behind the NVR), then you shouldn't even need to use this method - the cameras should be accessible via their IP? Someone else care to confirm?
There will not be any cameras behind the NVR. I am new to this and still acquiring all the pieces but it will be set up as follow:

Modem>Router>NVR>POE Switch>Cameras

thestooge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not entirely sure, but it looks like the cameras ARE behind NVR (in effect) with what you have proposed. If you get an NVR with POE outputs, there's no need for the switch (unless you are talking about a huge number of cameras?)

Surely this would be better if your switch has enough ports:
Modem>Router>POE Switch>NVR
.....................................\
>Cameras

Or even this if your router has more than 1 output:
Modem>Router>NVR
....................\>POE Switch>Cameras

As long as the cameras are not somewhere behind the NVR, you should be able to access them directly with their IP??

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Modem>Router>NVR>POE Switch>Cameras
The method I use is, Modem/Router... switch....Nvr....cameras

Loose 1 of the nvr ports by connecting that port back to the switch, but kinda get it back by connecting the camera to the switch. (the nvr will see that camera on the port you used for the loop back)

Then everything is accessible on the lan via its ip address. (the cameras connected directly to the nvr, the camera connected to the switch, and of course the nvr it self)

Forward the 3 nvr ports on your router for access from outside.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thats a shame alastairstevenson, but the good news is that the simple loop back method works 100%.

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The method I use is, Modem/Router... switch....Nvr....cameras

Loose 1 of the nvr ports by connecting that port back to the switch, but kinda get it back by connecting the camera to the switch. (the nvr will see that camera on the port you used for the loop back)

Then everything is accessible on the lan via its ip address. (the cameras connected directly to the nvr, the camera connected to the switch, and of course the nvr it self)

Forward the 3 nvr ports on your router for access from outside.
What NVR do you have, most of the Hikvisions have a Gigabit uplink dont they? this would mean you would not loose a port?

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
would not loose a port?
My bad choice of words, lol

I was referring to the input channels on the rear of the nvr as ports, I should of said channels.

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not entirely sure, but it looks like the cameras ARE behind NVR (in effect) with what you have proposed. If you get an NVR with POE outputs, there's no need for the switch (unless you are talking about a huge number of cameras?)

Surely this would be better if your switch has enough ports:
Modem>Router>POE Switch>NVR
.....................................\
>Cameras

Or even this if your router has more than 1 output:
Modem>Router>NVR

As long as the cameras are not somewhere behind the NVR, you should be able to access them directly with their IP??
The reason I wanted to route it 'Modem>Router>NVR>Switch>Cameras' is because the ethernet lines will all be running through the garage and I wanted to minimize the cables going from the garage into the house while keeping the NVR inside the house. The garage is too cold for the NVR in the winter.

Something like this:

When you say...
Modem>Router>NVR

Do you mean like this:

or like this:

Attachments

thestooge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not too savvy with this stuff (wanted to keep it simple with router-NVR-cams) so others might be able to chime in, but I would have thought your last image would be the best for your situation? And you should be able to log directly into the cams because they aren't behind the NVR. As long as that POE switch is fine with the temps that you mention in the garage...

glenncol

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Alastair

So i assume the one o mentioned is the same as yours except with no POE?

How does this 78xx series compare to the Family and Project 76xx series interms of hardware and overall grunt?