New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

bookemdano

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yea, that RCA logo is pretty gaudy.

no need for it to be that big, let alone say RCA
Yeah I told chad that I think RCA is overcompensating since their edition of the DB1 had zero visible RCA branding on it--not even on the housing of the doorbell. The execs in charge probably were not too happy about that.

bookemdano

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Boo, HSDB1 doesn't get the call log even with the Guarding Vision app. Just the normal motion detection thumbnails. Oh well. One interesting thing, when logging into the GV app I got a popup message telling me my account would be migrated from the old app to the new app. I'd previously been using the latest RCA app so I'm not sure what the deal is. But I told it to go ahead and I am still able to use both apps. Did anyone else get this?

IMG_1403.png

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In order to use IFTTT and Alexa on my HSDB1, I had to disable encryption before the cloud backend would sync with IFTTT and Amazon.

On HSDB2, I primarily use the Hik-Connect app since it has the wi-fi signal meter and also the call log for when visitors ring the doorbell. Now just waiting for LaView ONE firmware/app to give me Amazon Alexa feature on my RCA variant.

bookemdano

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In order to use IFTTT and Alexa on my HSDB1, I had to disable encryption before the cloud backend would sync with IFTTT and Amazon.

On HSDB2, I primarily use the Hik-Connect app since it has the wi-fi signal meter and also the call log for when visitors ring the doorbell. Now just waiting for LaView ONE firmware/app to give me Amazon Alexa feature on my RCA variant.
Are you saying that your HSDB1 doorbell has an encryption setting? What firmware are you running on it? Mine is on 180726 and no matter what app I use I do not see any setting for encryption in the settings. I do for my HSFLC1 floodlight camera (same generation as the HSDB2), but not for my HSDB1. Just curious.

Also, if anyone is looking to buy the LaView variant of the HSDB2, Amazon has it for $149.99 right now. Clip the $20 coupon on the product page and then apply promo code 15YX88XF during checkout to take off another $30. Not sure how long the dual coupons will last. Credit to slickdeals.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you saying that your HSDB1 doorbell has an encryption setting? What firmware are you running on it? Mine is on 180726 and no matter what app I use I do not see any setting for encryption in the settings. I do for my HSFLC1 floodlight camera (same generation as the HSDB2), but not for my HSDB1. Just curious.

Also, if anyone is looking to buy the LaView variant of the HSDB2, Amazon has it for $149.99 right now. Clip the $20 coupon on the product page and then apply promo code 15YX88XF during checkout to take off another $30. Not sure how long the dual coupons will last. Credit to slickdeals.
Seems like a smokin deal no? All of these variants are getting me confused? Is this the exact same doorbell as the RCA, without the Logo? Do we have access to the rtsp stream on this, or did they take it away.

The laview site says onvif support comming in the 2nd quarter of this year.

Any reason not to get this?

dbaker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The only reason I have found is it only comes with a white face plate. I know that is a small thing, but cant't sell the wife on it.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only reason I have found is it only comes with a white face plate. I know that is a small thing, but cant't sell the wife on it.
Hey buddy

I have 3 of these babies (RCA model) and I have all but the Black faceplates sitting around collecting dust.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey buddy

I have 3 of these babies (RCA model) and I have all but the Black faceplates sitting around collecting dust.
Ford,

Any differences between the LAview Halo One, and the RCA ones you have?

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ford,

Any differences between the LAview Halo One, and the RCA ones you have?
Physically they should be identical... LAView has pre announced the ONVIF functionality in an upcoming firmware update, it is unknown if (but very very probable) all versions will get the same update in functionality later this quarter.

But to be honest, I don't miss it as there is the RTSP stream for BI and configuration of settings using Ivms-4200.

bookemdano

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think it's the cheapest this doorbell has been, so if you were on the fence it's not a bad time to jump on it. And yes, LaView specifically announced ONVIF capability is coming (granted, they could always renege). Unlike the HSDB1, firmware for the HSDB2 devices seems much more locked down in that the firmware bin files don't seem to be just floating around the net anymore (and since there's no available web interface, I'm not sure if there's any working method to flash them even if there was). So if ONVIF is important to you, then buying the LaView version is the surest way to get it. Maybe the other rebadges will get it too, but so far none have announced that capability.

bookemdano

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Not sure if the chassis under the RCA plate is round like the LaView or pill shaped like the opening? There is also a small hole under the camera on the LaView (mic?)
Good catch--I never even noticed the different-shaped camera opening. FWIW, the LaView also advertises a Sony Starlight sensor whereas the RCA and other variants don't. So I guess I'm not 100% positive if the LaView is identical under the hood or not. Obviously someone should buy the LaView version to compare ;)

Edit: FWIW the other two rebadges I'm aware of look like the LaView:

EZVIZ DB1: EZVIZ - a global smart home security brand (really confusing model #)
Norelco SC-DB313W: SC-DB313W

Edit 2: This video from RCA (2:41 mark) shows the doorbell lens itself is embossed into the pill-size shape to line up with their faceplates. So it looks like the RCA plates won't be compatible with any of the other versions.

Last edited:

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not sure which older firmware version it was back in June of 2018 when I had registered doorbell with Ezviz in order to get IFTTT working on it back then. I noticed the IFTTT processing was starting to be spotty by end of 2018 on that doorbell as I gradually upgraded to the more recent versions of firmware's. I've sold that HSDB1 and deleted it from Ezviz account so not exactly sure what was configured.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good catch--I never even noticed the different-shaped camera opening. FWIW, the LaView also advertises a Sony Starlight sensor whereas the RCA and other variants don't. So I guess I'm not 100% positive if the LaView is identical under the hood or not. Obviously someone should buy the LaView version to compare ;)

Edit: FWIW the other two rebadges I'm aware of look like the LaView:

EZVIZ DB1: EZVIZ - a global smart home security brand (really confusing model #)
Norelco SC-DB313W: SC-DB313W

Edit 2: This video from RCA (2:41 mark) shows the doorbell lens itself is embossed into the pill-size shape to line up with their faceplates. So it looks like the RCA plates won't be compatible with any of the other versions.
Yep, I missed this. I wonder if I bought the crappy version!

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think it's the cheapest this doorbell has been, so if you were on the fence it's not a bad time to jump on it. And yes, LaView specifically announced ONVIF capability is coming (granted, they could always renege). Unlike the HSDB1, firmware for the HSDB2 devices seems much more locked down in that the firmware bin files don't seem to be just floating around the net anymore (and since there's no available web interface, I'm not sure if there's any working method to flash them even if there was). So if ONVIF is important to you, then buying the LaView version is the surest way to get it. Maybe the other rebadges will get it too, but so far none have announced that capability.
Should there be a copy of the LaView ONE firmware somewhere on the internet, one can upgrade HSDB2 with the ivms tool. I'm more interested in Amazon Alexa enablement than ONVIF since NVR already records it's RTSP stream.

Attachments