password: xxx
discovery: true
discovery_prefix: homeassistant

mqtt explorer uses standard port 1883.

the onvif add on configuration is also configured for port 1883

mqtt:
host: 192.168.244.150
port: 1883

It is the same computer running docker, MQTT server, HA et al. Should I change it to the loopback address of 127.0.0.1??
No, all good!

I just looked through the code and it was a bug in the config validation (my bad). I didn't have the port specified in the schema, and it was getting stripped out.
Releasing 1.0.1 / latest right now, but will take 20-30 minutes for Dockerhub to compile and publish it, after that feel free to pull :latest and re-create the container.

Is it working minus the logs? I think it should be smart enough to fallback to 1883 even with the above bug.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes and Yes.

Great stuff.

Did I follow the installation OK?

I am using the methodology that I installed Home Assistant (docker) and my Alarm panel MQTT add on.

I am using Monocle to view the doorbell camera with the Alexa Show and touchscreens here are just streaming ONVIF or RTSP and working well.

The doorbell is connected to the alarm panel using an Elk930 / Elk960 debounce board. The doorbell alarm connection triggers an MQTT message that is used with the software.

That triggers a TTS to the automation software (HA and Homeseer). I am currently using Alexa for TTS and Microsoft SAPI via a Virtual box which connects to the software running on Ubuntu.

Well that makes for two triggers for events like video or snapshots.
1 - doorbell press
2 - PIR from Doorbell

dfarkov

n3wb
Reaction score
@pete_c Absolutely :)

I have since removed config.dev.yaml since it had sensitive information in it, but config.sample.yml is still there for consumptions by users.
I will be updating the guides section of the README in the next few days to have slightly more detail for platforms (e.g. doorbells require turning on alarm notification to change detection radius, after which the notification can be disabled).
Might have ot get myself an ELK Board, great idea!

Thanks for being the first one to give it a whirl!

P.S. The latest / 1.0.1 version is up on github / dockerhub which fixes the configuration default issues.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for providing a great ONVIF==>MQTT addition to the Hikvision OEM doorbell!!!

Will update today. Giving my parrot kika a bath today (its a weekly endeavor). She is 43 years old now. (got her when she was the size of my thumb in 1977 (plunked her from her nest)

kika.jpg

Yeah have used the Leviton HAI OmniPro 2 board (1st, 2nd and 3rd model) since the beginning. Leviton has sunset the panel. That said I have peers that purchase the first OmniPro panel (just serial connectivity) and the panels still work just fine. Here have it connected to X-10 (Volp interface), UPB, ZWave and Zigbee. Omnistat, Omnitouch screens, Russound audio and keypads.

I met "sparky" from Elk at one of the Automation Expos in Orlando. Great guy. He has moved on from Elk these days.

I like the modularity of the Elk panel and now too there is an MQTT plugin for the Elk. Relating to support of the Elk panel or HAI panels check out the Cocoontech forums.

I am pete_c there too.

Last edited:

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is a drawing for connectivity of the doorbell using two Elk boards. You can DIY build these boards easy enough. You can also connect to a wireless chime with these two boards.

elk.jpg

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi all!

For those using the DB1 in automation, I have published a new docker image / node package to capture ONVIF events and transmit them over MQTT.
For EzViz and RCA you will have to flash it with Laview firmware to get ONVIF endpoints.
The doorbell only publishes the motion detection, but fails to publish doorbell presses.

Docker: Docker Hub
Github: dmitrif/onvif2mqtt

Been using it past few days with HomeAssistant and Shinobi, and it works great!

Cheers.

Shinobi:
View attachment 58092

HomeAssistant:
View attachment 58093
Great job, and thanks for sharing. Is the "doorbell button state" exposed via ONVIF events? It would be great so we could get rid of sensors to detect when someone pushes the button. Right now I'm using a zigbee SAGE sensor to detect it and pass it to my Hubitat Elevation hub.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What kind of parrot is Kika?

She is a Guatemalan Mealy Amazon or Blue Crowned Mealy Amazon Parrot. She is large at around 15".

Post a picture of Peanut.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can DIY a Sonoff basic to serve as a MQTT interface for the doorbell press. I do something similiar today with a combo Sonoff basic with two door sensors, push button for Garage door and temperature sensor. You can do the same with the Sonoff SV low voltage board.

Note this is an experiment as the Garage door up and down sensors and button are wired to the OmniPro 2 alarm panel.
Speed here with WiFi / MQTT is just as fast as the alarm panel.

What this device provides via MQTT:
1 - connects to hard wired reed switch #1 NO/NC for garage door up position
2 - connects to hard wired reed switch #2 NO/NC for garage door down position
3 - virtual button to open or close garage door
4 - temperature sensor for garage temperature.

Hardware modifications:
1 - cut the High voltage relay stuff out such that it is not used
2 - connects to 3 GPIO pins and ground for sensors
3 - replace stock Sonoff cloud firmware with Tasmota or Espurna

GDO-Sensor.jpg

Here are the MQTT messages. You can change the message to doorbell button on or off.

15:46:10 MQT: GarageDoor1/POWER = On
15:46:11 MQT: GarageDoor1/Door1 = INDETERMINATE
15:46:11 MQT: GarageDoor1/Door1 = CLOSED
15:46:12 MQT: GarageDoor1/POWER = Off
15:46:12 MQT: GarageDoor1/Door1 = INDETERMINATE
15:46:23 MQT: GarageDoor1/Door1 = OPEN
15:46:34 MQT: GarageDoor1/RESULT = {"POWER":"On"}
15:46:34 MQT: GarageDoor1/POWER = On
15:46:35 MQT: GarageDoor1/Door1 = INDETERMINATE
15:46:36 MQT: GarageDoor1/POWER = Off
15:46:46 MQT: GarageDoor1/Door1 = CLOSED
15:46:46 MQT: GarageDoor1/Door1 = INDETERMINATE
15:46:46 MQT: GarageDoor1/Door1 = CLOSED

The Sonoff Basic is less than $10 USD. A little bit of soldering and an upgrade to the firmware will get you what you want.

This would provide you with a MQTT message on HA for automation.

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just had a Honeywell wired security system installed including the Skybell DBCAM-Trim. I have had nothing but network drops even though I have max signal. I paid $200 for the camera and an additional $70/y in monitoring costs to be able to use Total Connect 2 integration. I got fed up today and ordered the camera from Nelly’s. While trying to look up info on how to get this installed & configured I stumbled upon this thread.

I’m now wondering if my drops are nothing but an under powered transformer (installer just swapped out existing analog db & wired in the db cam). I’m now wondering if this is the root cause of my issues. Since I’d already landed on my issue being something related to camera network signal (even though I have Google Fiber 1gb u/d + hardwired Eero Pro mesh setup) I figured it was just a bad to only have 2.4 connection.

Anyway, I like the night vision that the Nelly’s cam has vs the Skybell. Now I just need to hunt down where my transformer is. I have a gut feeling it’s somewhere in the crawl space. Just wanted to thank OP & everyone else in this thread for info.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just had a Honeywell wired security system installed including the Skybell DBCAM-Trim. I have had nothing but network drops even though I have max signal. I paid $200 for the camera and an additional $70/y in monitoring costs to be able to use Total Connect 2 integration. I got fed up today and ordered the camera from Nelly’s. While trying to look up info on how to get this installed & configured I stumbled upon this thread.

I’m now wondering if my drops are nothing but an under powered transformer (installer just swapped out existing analog db & wired in the db cam). I’m now wondering if this is the root cause of my issues. Since I’d already landed on my issue being something related to camera network signal (even though I have Google Fiber 1gb u/d + hardwired Eero Pro mesh setup) I figured it was just a bad to only have 2.4 connection.

Anyway, I like the night vision that the Nelly’s cam has vs the Skybell. Now I just need to hunt down where my transformer is. I have a gut feeling it’s somewhere in the crawl space. Just wanted to thank OP & everyone else in this thread for info.
Welcome, you are in the right Forum for your Nelly's, if you need any help let us know. Here is a good read, a collection of our Tips: Doorbell 101

ashane926

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for late reply, we have a sizable list of RCA DB owners who have successfully upgraded to LaView's firmware. See the list:

All the recent bricked RCA DBs (Purchased End of 2019 forward) upgraded with Nelly's firmware. We tried to find if Nelly's firmware may had a newer firmware version that caused the problems but could not. Was it the newer RCA firmware too?, we do not know.

So, still at the time, we are not recommended any RCA DB firmware upgrades to any firmware other than RCA. Have you fixed your B&W issue? The firmware you have is the older firmware that those who did successfully upgrade to LaView had. If cannot fix your B&W issue and you plan on returning the DB, you may want to try to upgrade to LaView 190716 firmware to see if it works or brick it.

So I have a question, you stated you have firmware version 180709? Can you double check that, I have 180809 in our 101 from a user who shared his firmware version, thanks.

This is the firmware that it shows in the RCA app. It shows 18709 with a update to 190124. Figured out the black and white issue. Forgot to remove one of those plastic covers that protects the sensors during shipping.

Attachments

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is the firmware that it shows in the RCA app. It shows 18709 with a update to 190124. Figured out the black and white issue. Forgot to remove one of those plastic covers that protects the sensors during shipping.
Thank you. So the Warning still stands if you want ONVIF, we know the new (2020 purchased) RCA DBs were bricking when upgrading to Nelly's firmware, what we do not know is if they brick upgrading to LaView's firmware. If it was me and I wanted ONVIF, I would MAKE SURE I could return and or exchange it first, then I would upgrade to 190124 through the RCA App, then through Batch Configuration Tool, I would upgrade to LaView's firmware. I just recently upped the firmware a few messages ago:

If after the LaView upgrade your DB has a Solid Red Light Ring, then it is bricked, no need to try an fix it, many have tried. BUT, if your upgrade works, Please let us know so I can change the Warning to only Nelly's firmware...

Not sure where you got your RCA but since it has the older firmware 180709, you may have a better chance of upgrading, meaning you may have an older hardware version (If there is such a version).

Here is a few screen shots of the Batch Config. Tool, that will help, it is very easy (Click Upgrade and point to Unzipped LaView Firmware):
1585401350287.png1585401489249.png

Again, Make Sure you can Return/Exchange your DB. Good Luck.

Paul D

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The latest / 1.0.1 version is up on github / dockerhub which fixes the configuration default issues.

Updated with no issue. Thank you @dfarkov.

Working well!!
I updated today from 1.01 (I think) to 1.03, and the container stopped getting motion events. No errors, just did not see them. I reverted to 1.02 and it works. No changes to my config file. Regardless, thanks so much for this, I've been wanting to get motion events from my doorbell for so long!

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure what version I updated to last night so checking logs here.

Well it's been up for 15 hours and restarting every few minutes...so we have an issue here now.

I wrote too soon. Logs ran off the page and running onvif-cam@1.0.1. Fell asleep.

Did change from using the Mosquitto server IP to loopback address and removed the config directory.

Also changed the name from doorbell to Doorbell and saw both in my MQTT explorer so I am doing the following:

1 - creating a config directory and copying config.yml to config directory
2 - editing the config to use static IP address instead of loopback address
3 - changing name back to lower case doorbell
4 - restarting
docker restart
docker restart onvif2mqtt

It seems to connect OK then it keeps resetting with the following errors:

TypeError: Cannot read property 'events' of undefined
at Cam._request (/node_modules/onvif/lib/cam.js:185:15)
at Cam.createPullPointSubscription (/node_modules/onvif/lib/events.js:86:8)
at Cam._eventRequest (/node_modules/onvif/lib/events.js:250:9)
at Cam.<anonymous> (/node_modules/onvif/lib/events.js:237:9)
at Cam.emit (events.js:311:20)
at _addListener (events.js:354:14)
at Cam.addListener (events.js:402:10)
at Cam.<anonymous> (/dist/onvif/Subscriber.js:36:15)
at Cam.<anonymous> (/node_modules/onvif/lib/cam.js:106:20)
at Cam.<anonymous> (/node_modules/onvif/lib/cam.js:312:14)

Are you getting restarts that you see via docker ps?

Or just not talking MQTT?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So since I have more time on my hands being in Lock Down at home, this is a project I have been wanting to do for a long time. Our house, even though built in 2003, did not have Ethernet wiring to all Rooms. I was able to get our Electrician out the Day before our County/City Locked Down and turn my dream into reality. I needed an A/C outlet installed for our Alarm System which will also power the Rack Mounted UPS I had planned for our Rack. He did not bring his helper due to Pandemic so we both got all rooms done in about 4 hours. Also had a couple of future outdoor camera runs done too along with a coax run to move our cable modem to the Rack. We installed a 2 inch PVC for cable management.
Next is termination. I went with Keystone Jacks since the $30 9U Rack does not have a front swing door for future terminations.
9U_Rack_Pic1.jpg9U_Rack_Pic2.jpg1585440703929.png1585440340781.png

Last edited: