New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

ciphershort

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Read the latest posts, go 1 week behind. I wrote about my personal experience upgrading to hikvision firmware and how to solve the issue you will have after the factory reset.

Yes, Batch Config is THE tool for almost everything. :)

If you have problems, we're here.
Thanks. I skimmed this thread but due to length it was hard to catch everything. I’ll go back and look for your post.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Personally I would caution about flashing the firmware if you are already OK with the basics of RTSP, ONVIF and JPG captures.

Flashing OTA (via wireless) works 99.9% of the time but a power failure, microwave, radio propagation issue could brick the device or a reset during flashing could brick the device.

BTW an easy way to get to post #101 is to click on the "..." on the bottom left of the viewing of post and entering 101.

post101.jpg

ciphershort

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Personally I would caution about flashing the firmware if you are already OK with the basics of RTSP, ONVIF and JPG captures.

Flashing OTA (via wireless) works 99.9% of the time but a power failure, microwave, radio propagation issue could brick the device or a reset during flashing could brick the device.

BTW an easy way to get to post #101 is to click on the "..." on the bottom left of the viewing of post and entering 101.

View attachment 61311
Thanks. I found the 101 earlier so I knew where it was. I really want the ability to use the camera sensor to detect motion since my Synology is already doing so much other stuff and I'd rather it not be wasting cpu on detecting motion. If I could get camera motion detection with the EZVIZ firmware then I wouldn't even be considering this. I wish all the manufacturers would just get on the same page and offer the same base features.

ciphershort

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Read the latest posts, go 1 week behind. I wrote about my personal experience upgrading to hikvision firmware and how to solve the issue you will have after the factory reset.

Yes, Batch Config is THE tool for almost everything. :)

If you have problems, we're here.
Ok just went back about 10-12 pages and read up on the process and others that did it and have a question... Do I do a factory reset first in batch config or will updating the firmware to hikvision automatically do that? I see where you've talked about the SSID/Password needing to be changed and I have that down but just not sure about the starting process. Here's kind of what I've pieced together if it's accurate:

1. Factory Reset / Upload new Firmware
2. Change default SSID from softap_XXXXXX to EZVIZ_XXXXXX (does the password need to be changed from softap_AUTHCODE to EZVIZ_AUTHCODE as well?)
3. Setup like new in EZVIZ app like before.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
use the camera sensor to detect motion since my Synology is already doing so much other stuff and I'd rather it not be wasting cpu on detecting motion.

I understand where you are coming from on this issue. Best outdoor motion detection is via a PIR. Video algorithms are getting better but no match for an adjusted PIR sensor.

Yes I am using the PIR via ONVIF to detect motion on my Hikvision doorbell via MQTT. It's a simple script / service you can run in Docker called "MQTT2ONVIF". It does only run on AMD/Intel CPUs. It has been documented here but it is currently a bit buried and a reference should be documented on the #101 FAQ.

The vendor specific aps in iOS and Android are a step beyond the Linux / Windows / iOS applications written to run on the various OS's and are written for use with Smartphones-Cloud transport. Little bit by little bit the Hikvision Batch Configuration application is opening up sections of the modifications of the Doorbell camera.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. I found the 101 earlier so I knew where it was. I really want the ability to use the camera sensor to detect motion since my Synology is already doing so much other stuff and I'd rather it not be wasting cpu on detecting motion. If I could get camera motion detection with the EZVIZ firmware then I wouldn't even be considering this. I wish all the manufacturers would just get on the same page and offer the same base features.
I totally agree with you. The main motivation that led me to switch to hikivision firmware was to lower the load of my Synology.

I don't understand why EZVIZ doesn't offer ONVIF, it doesn't look so complicated to implement.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

View attachment 61311
Pete, I don't agree: these products were designed to be updated wirelessly, it's the only way you can do it. The internal battery is there mainly for that reason, I think.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I understand about the OTA updates and that the Hikvision Doorbell cameras are designed to utilize a WiFi methodology of firmware upgrading.

It is that I come from the days of JTAG wired serial TTL upgrading of firmware way long time ago that is still buried in my head. ;)

I have not had issues using OTA updates using my Ruckus WAPs here.

That said I have been taking apart "el cheapo" WiFi switches and soldering RX, TX and ground wires to them. Not easy if all you see are traces for the serial connectivity such that the easy button way (and designed that way) is to use OTA. It is a PITA to do this though.

magichome.jpg

I liked the RIng Doorbell I had in place before the Hikvision Doorbell as you could upgrade it and configure it and see it working via the rechargable battery. Didn't like the closed cloud connectivity to using it.

So just a rant here from an old Curmungeon.

Last edited:

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok just went back about 10-12 pages and read up on the process and others that did it and have a question... Do I do a factory reset first in batch config or will updating the firmware to hikvision automatically do that? I see where you've talked about the SSID/Password needing to be changed and I have that down but just not sure about the starting process. Here's kind of what I've pieced together if it's accurate:

1. Factory Reset / Upload new Firmware
2. Change default SSID from softap_XXXXXX to EZVIZ_XXXXXX (does the password need to be changed from softap_AUTHCODE to EZVIZ_AUTHCODE as well?)
3. Setup like new in EZVIZ app like before.
This should be the step-by-step procedure, based on my experience:

Rich (BB code):
  1. Use camera's vendor app to upgrade to the latest official version of the official firmware
  2. Use Batch Config v3.0.2.6 (not the latest one) to upgrade Firmware (SYSTEM->SYSTEM MAINTENANCE->Remote Upgrade)
  3. Use Batch Config v3.0.2.6 (from main screen) to Reset the config of the cam (check the following screenshot) 1589929387584.png
  4. The camera should reboot automatically after this reset, if not, reboot it
  5. Using the PC, connect to the AP of the camera softap_serial#, the wifi password is softap_authcode (seria#: s/n of the cam - authcode: 6 char authcode)
  6. Reboot
  7. Connect to the camera again (like in step #5)
  8. Use Batch Config v3.0.2.6 to change default SSID from softap_serial# to EZVIZ_serial# and the password to EZVIZ_authcode (expected values for EVIZ app, mind the uppercase)
  9. Reboot
  10. Check with the PC the list of available wifi APs:
    1. If you see the softap_serial# AP, it means you didn't change the SSID, so go back to step #8
    2. if you see the EZVIZ_serial# AP, proceed with next step
  11. Start the mobile app (EZVIZ on android playstore or Hik-connect available here: Hikvision App Store) and configure it like a brand new camera
I hope I didn't miss any step, let me know in case I did. This is the procedure I used some days ago, but I just wrote it out of my head now, so it has to be validated by someone who's doing the upgrade now so we can correct it. Please let me know.

NOTE: This is a general procedure for upgrade to another vendor's firmware, I don't know if Laview/Nelly's firmwares have differente AP names, you just need to adapt it to their specific differences but procedure is the same. If someone with Nelly/Laview firmware can tell me what AP they see after the upgrade, we can generalize the procedure.

(tag for @David L for 101 update)

Last edited:

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I understand about the OTA updates and that the Hikvision Doorbell cameras are designed to utilize a WiFi methodology of firmware upgrading.

It is that I come from the days of JTAG wired serial TTL upgrading of firmware way long time ago that is still buried in my head. ;)

I have not had issues using OTA updates using my Ruckus WAPs here.

That said I have been taking apart "el cheapo" WiFi switches and soldering RX, TX and ground wires to them. Not easy if all you see are traces for the serial connectivity such that the easy button way (and designed that way) is to use OTA. It is a PITA to do this though.

I liked the RIng Doorbell I had in place before the Hikvision Doorbell as you could upgrade it and configure it and see it working via the rechargable battery. Didn't like the closed cloud connectivity to using it.

So just a rant here from an old Curmungeon.
I hear you my friend. And being an old-schooler like you, I know exactly how you feel about it. BTW: I still do serial TTL upgrades for some devices (specific OpenWRT stuff using embedded devices, some old switches, etc. :)

ciphershort

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Rich (BB code):
  1. Upload new Firmware through Batch Config
  2. Reboot
  3. Using the PC, connect to the AP of the camera softap_serial#, the wifi password is softap_authcode (seria#: s/n of the cam - authcode: 6 char authcode)
  4. Use Batch Config to Factory Reset
  5. Reboot
  6. Connect again (like in step #3)
  7. Use Batch Config to change default SSID from softap_serial# to EZVIZ_serial# (use the uppercase and don't change password or anything else, just the SSID)
  8. Reboot
  9. Check with the PC the list of available wifi APs:
    1. If you see the softap_serial# AP, it means you didn't change the SSID, so go back to step 6
    2. if you see the EZVIZ_serial# AP, proceed with step 10
  10. Start the mobile app (EZVIZ on android playstore or Hik-connect available here: Hikvision App Store) and configure it like a brand new camera
I hope I didn't miss any step, let me know in case I did. This is the procedure I used some days ago, but I just wrote it out of my head now, so it has to be validated by someone who's doing the upgrade now so we can correct it. Please let me know.

NOTE: This is a general procedure for upgrade to another vendor's firmware, I don't know if Laview/Nelly's firmwares have differente AP names, you just need to adapt it to their specific differences but procedure is the same. If someone with Nelly/Laview firmware can tell me what AP they see after the upgrade, we can generalize the procedure.

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'll give this a go later today. My day job is actually having me work today haha. Will batch config auto discover the IP of the camera after connecting to the default SSID? My network setup has my cams on a different VLAN so when I initially added it I had to specify IP. Didn't know if there was a standard default IP to manually put in or if batch config would just find it.

Jack007

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Rich (BB code):
  1. Upload new Firmware through Batch Config
  2. Reboot
  3. Using the PC, connect to the AP of the camera softap_serial#, the wifi password is softap_authcode (seria#: s/n of the cam - authcode: 6 char authcode)
  4. Use Batch Config to Factory Reset
  5. Reboot
  6. Connect again (like in step #3)
  7. Use Batch Config to change default SSID from softap_serial# to EZVIZ_serial# (use the uppercase and don't change password or anything else, just the SSID)
  8. Reboot
  9. Check with the PC the list of available wifi APs:
    1. If you see the softap_serial# AP, it means you didn't change the SSID, so go back to step 6
    2. if you see the EZVIZ_serial# AP, proceed with step 10
  10. Start the mobile app (EZVIZ on android playstore or Hik-connect available here: Hikvision App Store) and configure it like a brand new camera

With point 4. you mean the option under system management - restore default settings?
1.png
or do you mean pushing the reset button on the device?

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'll give this a go later today. My day job is actually having me work today haha. Will batch config auto discover the IP of the camera after connecting to the default SSID? My network setup has my cams on a different VLAN so when I initially added it I had to specify IP. Didn't know if there was a standard default IP to manually put in or if batch config would just find it.
Since you will connect directly to it after the upgrade and the reset, batch config will find it immediately, they will be on their own WLAN. It's like a point to point connection.

Please let me know how it goes and if there's anything to change in the procedure. Thanks.

redturbo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes, there is an option in the app to disable LED... meaning ALL lights.
I have an ezviz model with latest firmware for it. I have that option off but it's only off when camera is functional normally and connected properly. When WiFi is off so no longer connected it flashes red. I know this might be dumb to ask because one wouldn't know if there is an jssue. At the moment I don't have internet and just temporarily used a hot spot to test.

Jack007

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I updated the guide, point 4.
You are aware that this is not a (full) reset of the device.
It only sets some of the setting to default values.
Other settings are unaffected and can still be the remains of the previous firmware. I experienced this with the user management and video display option. Probably some more options are also unaffected.
Only a hard reset (with the reset button) will set the device to its original configuration.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can see the left overs if you do a backup bin and use a hex viewer or editor to read the contents.

It is in the beginning of the bin file. I see all of the EZViz stuff in mine as it used to be configured that way and it never has gone away.

Fiddelm3742

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just got the RCA version of this doorbell. Has anyone mounted it to vinyl siding? Anyone have any suggestions on which mount or block to use? Maybe something interchangeable with next/ring or any other brand?

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You are aware that this is not a (full) reset of the device.
It only sets some of the setting to default values.
Other settings are unaffected and can still be the remains of the previous firmware. I experienced this with the user management and video display option. Probably some more options are also unaffected.
Only a hard reset (with the reset button) will set the device to its original configuration.
Nope. It also resets/aligns the underlying data structure. Me and other users found out that when upgrading to another vendor's fw, some functions of Batch Config didn't work or produced strange errors, this was what convinced me since I first tried other fw to stay on ezviz fw for my DB1. The only way I found to solve those problems when switching to another vendor's fw was using that option, I think it restores/aligns the data structure based on the fw you're using in that moment. Probably the options that don't get reset are the ones that are saved in an area that is common for the 2 firmwares.

In my case, while I was trying to go to the latest hikvision fw, and I had those issues, I found out that using the Restore Default Values option solved those problems. That's why I recommend it.