New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Flash2020

n3wb
Reaction score
use some sort of a remote switch/relay to restart the DoorBell.
Then automate it by monitoring one of the 24/7 streams, having it set up such as when the stream is dropped the Relay/Switch is triggered to restart the Doorbell

this setup would have the added advantage of being able to power cycle the device when or if away from home as-well .
Yes I been thinking about something like that, but I was hopping to find a reason for this behavior and not to try to do these workarounds

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have UNIFI WIFI network so I do know very well whats going on with my WIFI network and its not the problem
I also run a Unifi network and was having occasional doorbell (RCA version using RCA F/W) dropouts with an AP less than 10 feet away. I was using the Unifi WiFi AI feature to pick the best channels, but it turns out that was a bad thing. The fix was to run an RF scan during the day and configure the AP to use channels (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz) with the lowest interference. It's been stable since then. I am also running the latest AP beta firmware.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
use some sort of a remote switch/relay to restart the DoorBell.
Then automate it by monitoring one of the 24/7 streams, having it set up such as when the stream is dropped the Relay/Switch is triggered to restart the Doorbell

this setup would have the added advantage of being able to power cycle the device when or if away from home as-well .
I am plan on doing something like this too. I am having an issue where after a month I could no longer read the memory card even the DB1 is still working. Unplugging and plugging it back in allow me to read the memory card again.

I set up my transformer to be plugged into an outlet but it's in the attic. I got one of those wifi plug adapter which I will be adding and connecting it to my home automation so I could power cycle it from my phone whenever I need to.

phatboyj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am plan on doing something like this too. I am having an issue where after a month I could no longer read the memory card even the DB1 is still working. Unplugging and plugging it back in allow me to read the memory card again.

I set up my transformer to be plugged into an outlet but it's in the attic. I got one of those wifi plug adapter which I will be adding and connecting it to my home automation so I could power cycle it from my phone whenever I need to.
in fact I got the idea from a somewhat recent post it may have been yours

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have UNIFI WIFI network so I do know very well whats going on with my WIFI network and its not the problem
If that is true, you should know why there's a wifi disconnection between the client and the unifi device. It's not a problem of the camera, mine never disconnects, unless I'm reconfiguring the network, reboot it or I have a power outage.

Wifi is a complex technology, saying "my network is reliabile and I have everything under control because Unifi is cool" is quite naïve. A badly configured Unifi network is as bad as a badly configured $5 chinese AP.

Here's the Network Disconnection events of my DB1, all in the month of May when I changed my wifi network (went to an all Fritz!WLAN network and router) and did some changes. Since then, no issues whatsoever.

Can you show me that same log from your camera? You can use batch config, check the picture for details. Thanks.

1598380305463.png

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

My software NVR (Synology Surveillance Station) offers these advanced functions (for ONVIF cameras) specifically for these cases. I don't know the others BI, Shinoby, ZoneMinder.

1598381139570.png

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I had a similar issue around the 6th month in which I found my SD Card was full, once I reformatted it all was fine. Don't remember the error code number though I was getting.
I think the camera can rollover and recycle automatically if configured properly. Check Batch Config:

1598382124507.png

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
My software NVR (Synology Surveillance Station) offers these advanced functions (for ONVIF cameras) specifically for these cases. I don't know the others BI, Shinoby, ZoneMinder.

View attachment 69271

I wondered how the heck Synology will be able to send a restart signal to the camera if it disconnected in the first place ... scratching my head

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wondered how the heck Synology will be able to send a restart signal to the camera if it disconnected in the first place ... scratching my head
Because right after a disconnection there is a reconnection. :)

If there's no reconnection, you have a big issue. That functions is needed because every once in a while these cameras, with low hw resources, need a reboot.

Kennsys

n3wb
Reaction score
I been following this forum for a long time and I read most of it
I finally decided to ask you about my problem because maybe I'm missing something
I have DS-HD1 connected to synology without internal memory card
Running latest Hikvision firmware and using Hikvision app on the phone
IP setup manual
The unit works sometimes for a week sometimes for several weeks without problems and then looses connection. Sometimes it happens just after a few days. I need to disconnect the power and then it comes back online
I changed the power supply to 16v 30va , but still having the same issues
Any idea what can I do about it ?
Hi, have you tried to set your Wifi to a fixed channel. That fixed a similar problem for me.

Flash2020

n3wb
Reaction score
If that is true, you should know why there's a wifi disconnection between the client and the unifi device. It's not a problem of the camera, mine never disconnects, unless I'm reconfiguring the network, reboot it or I have a power outage.

Wifi is a complex technology, saying "my network is reliabile and I have everything under control because Unifi is cool" is quite naïve. A badly configured Unifi network is as bad as a badly configured $5 chinese AP.

Here's the Network Disconnection events of my DB1, all in the month of May when I changed my wifi network (went to an all Fritz!WLAN network and router) and did some changes. Since then, no issues whatsoever.

Can you show me that same log from your camera? You can use batch config, check the picture for details. Thanks.

View attachment 69268
I been working in IT for the last 20+ years, believe me I know how to configure UNIFI and I don't see any network issues with it

Annotation 2020-08-25 194821.jpg

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I been working in IT for the last 20+ years, believe me I know how to configure UNIFI and I don't see any network issues with it
Same here, I was born in 1973, started programming on my C64 when I was a kid. My father was a great analyst/programmer in the old times, dna had its effect on me. :)

I then moved from programming to system and network management. Did that for many years, then I moved to sales after doing every tech role in IT.

So, your UNIFI wlan is perfect, that's great, and I see from your camera log that it didn't acknowledge any network disconnection. Where do you see the disconnections from? Unifi mgmt console? NVR? If the camera is disconnected, you will see the event in that log. If it's empty, there was no disconnection.

Flash2020

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually its a good idea thanks
I'm not sure "restart after disconnect will work, because my dorbell just disconnects and I need to power it off and on to make it alive again. I will try anyway it wont hurt for sure.
But I will also set it to restart daily and see if it will help

Flash2020

n3wb
Reaction score
Same here, I was born in 1973, started programming on my C64 when I was a kid. My father was a great analyst/programmer in the old times, dna had its effect on me. :)

I then moved from programming to system and network management. Did that for many years, then I moved to sales after doing every tech role in IT.

So, your UNIFI wlan is perfect, that's great, and I see from your camera log that it didn't acknowledge any network disconnection. Where do you see the disconnections from? Unifi mgmt console? NVR? If the camera is disconnected, you will see the event in that log. If it's empty, there was no disconnection.
UNIFI actually shows that the camera is still connected
But I loose it in Synology and in the Hikvision app on my phone
Also when the camera is ok I can go to its IP and get "Access Error: 404 -- Not Found". When I loose it I no longer get any response when browsing its IP

Flash2020

n3wb
Reaction score
I also run a Unifi network and was having occasional doorbell (RCA version using RCA F/W) dropouts with an AP less than 10 feet away. I was using the Unifi WiFi AI feature to pick the best channels, but it turns out that was a bad thing. The fix was to run an RF scan during the day and configure the AP to use channels (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz) with the lowest interference. It's been stable since then. I am also running the latest AP beta firmware.
I don't use Unifi WiFi AI
Chanel is set manually
Doorbell has its own separate WIFI network

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
UNIFI actually shows that the camera is still connected
But I loose it in Synology and in the Hikvision app on my phone
Also when the camera is ok I can go to its IP and get "Access Error: 404 -- Not Found". When I loose it I no longer get any response when browsing its IP
Well, I don't think that's due to a network disconnection. That was a wrong assumption on your side, and the camera log confirms it and also Unifi confirms it. Is the camera behind some FW? Is it in a separate VLAN? What switch are you using in your network? Do you have L2/L3 security rules in place? Some people put all these devices in separate vlans/lans with specific network security rules, but many times this leads to issues.

You don't have a wifi disconnection issues, something else is preventing SSS and your mobile phone to reach the camera. You have to concentrate on that in order to find what the problem is.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't use Unifi WiFi AI
Chanel is set manually
Doorbell has its own separate WIFI network
So the camera is on a fixed channel and separate network respect to your SSS and mobile phone? Who bridges the 2 networks, UNIFI? Is there a switch in the middle? Are you sure that is not the issue? Put the camera in the same WLAN/LAN and see how it goes.

Flash2020

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I don't think that's due to a network disconnection. That was a wrong assumption on your side, and the camera log confirms it and also Unifi confirms it. Is the camera behind some FW? Is it in a separate VLAN? What switch are you using in your network? Do you have L2/L3 security rules in place? Some people put all these devices in separate vlans/lans with specific network security rules, but many times this leads to issues.

You don't have a wifi disconnection issues, something else is preventing SSS and your mobile phone to reach the camera. You have to concentrate on that in order to find what the problem is.
I don't think I ever mentioned here that I think its network disconnection :)
I actually think its not, its why I replaced the power adapter first
Its running latest Hikvision firmware

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think I ever mentioned here that I think its network disconnection :)
I actually think its not, its why I replaced the power adapter first
Its running latest Hikvision firmware
Are you sure you didn't? :)

The unit works sometimes for a week sometimes for several weeks without problems and then looses connection
I'm pretty confident you have some complex setup, with different wlans/lans/vlans, and some device that is supposed to bridge communication between those is not doing things correctly. Your camera is working fine.

If you want some help, provide a simple diagram of your home network so we can start understanding how you set it up and where the problem could be. :)