New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

chow7

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you know what the default username and password is? SADP Tool won’t activate. I get a timeout error when I try. Do I have to do a full reset on it first?

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Username is admin. Password is just below the QR code on the ring button or on the front cover of the manual. Mine was like 7 capital alpha characters. There is no web interface but RTSP channel 101 is functional. Same url as older Hikvision cameras and doorbell.

hik78

n3wb
Reaction score
firmware 180907 is out....

optimize tf card writing
improved success of wifi configuring
optimize ring function of extra chime
improve device stability

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have to still send mine back due to the pink video artifacts but the fw update greatly increased my WiFi connection. Looking way better now.

Morgon

n3wb
Reaction score
Damn, I should have read this thread more carefully - I just set up this camera and was disappointed that I couldn't get it working with my Amcrest NVR since there's no ONVIF.

I've submitted my own support ticket about it (referencing that their older model did have this) in hopes that kickstarts some internal discussion around adding it.

So in terms of ONVIF-compatible doorbell cameras, is it really just the HSDB1 (and its various rebrands, including Nelly's) that fulfills this (even if not a complete implementation)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Damn, I should have read this thread more carefully - I just set up this camera and was disappointed that I couldn't get it working with my Amcrest NVR since there's no ONVIF.

I've submitted my own support ticket about it (referencing that their older model did have this) in hopes that kickstarts some internal discussion around adding it.

So in terms of ONVIF-compatible doorbell cameras, is it really just the HSDB1 (and its various rebrands, including Nelly's) that fulfills this (even if not a complete implementation)?
Dont keep the camera if you are planing on onvif compatibility...rca has no control, they dont write the firmware...they simply slap their name on it.
There are several onvif doorbell cameras...
This one is POE, onvif and supports sip.
PROVANTAGE: GRANDSTREAM GDS3710 IP Video Door System Allows Sip Video Streaming

Morgon

n3wb
Reaction score
Dont keep the camera if you are planing on onvif compatibility...rca has no control, they dont write the firmware
Ah, thank you; I guess I thought they had some developmental control over features based off a whitelabel image.

Thanks for the Grandstream link. Nice to know it will work, but was also hoping for something a little less grandiose (as I don't really have use for a keypad on a simple door camera). I don't even really need "doorbell" functionality (though the two-way talk is a nice-to-have), it's mostly the form factor that I haven't found in any other camera -- Amcrest cams, for instance, are all bubbles and bullets. I don't suppose you'd know of any resources that might keep a list of options (so I'm not spamming up the forum)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, thank you; I guess I thought they had some developmental control over features based off a whitelabel image.

Thanks for the Grandstream link. Nice to know it will work, but was also hoping for something a little less grandiose (as I don't really have use for a keypad on a simple door camera). I don't even really need "doorbell" functionality (though the two-way talk is a nice-to-have), it's mostly the form factor that I haven't found in any other camera -- Amcrest cams, for instance, are all bubbles and bullets. I don't suppose you'd know of any resources that might keep a list of options (so I'm not spamming up the forum)?
If you dont need the doorbell function why not mound a minidome above the door ?

Morgon

n3wb
Reaction score
If you dont need the doorbell function why not mound a minidome above the door ?
Thanks again for the links, this is helpful.

I did see this review before, actually, but it seems that it still doesn't have the view that I'm looking for: being able to identify people at my door, as well as their approach (i.e. MD from the point they start up the walkway to the point they leave, including continuous identification while they're at the door, and preferably a view of anything (packages) left in front of it). My Amcrest IP3M is the same - to record people and packages at my side door, it's pointed downwards, and cannot record the driveway (not to mention hats could obscure faces from that angle).

I like the form-factor of the doorbell-style cameras because they're very small (I don't have the room to plaster that Dahua next to my door, even if it is a 'Mini' PTZ), and directly faces people as they approach.

Morgon

n3wb
Reaction score
In case anyone was holding on to a sliver of hope that this unit would be useful (mainly me), Voxx puts a nail in it.
It also looks like they're saying the ONVIF support on the DB1 was a mistake (which also means that it's trivial to add it). Quick, let's compare firmwares :D

Andrew J (VOXX International)

Oct 22, 9:20 AM EDT

Hi Morgon,

Both RCA doorbell camera models are designed as a closed system between the camera and the RCA Security app. The IP interface and login are not supported features of this product. We don’t provide support for this nor can we guide you to access the RTSP feed in any capacity.

Although this non-supported feature could originally be accessed from HSDB1 units, in accordance with the above policy, this was fixed/removed so that customers can no longer do so.

Best,
Andrew

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there something I missed? This thread is about the new RCA HSDB2A doorbell and mine is running latest firmware and RTSP is still working just fine to BI. I don’t have the original doorbell from RCA. I do have a Nelly’s that I am about to put back into play so that I can finally send the RCA back for RMA due to some pink video artifacts. It’s been a busy month so I haven’t gotten around to it. That being said, I know onvif isn’t in the new one, I don’t care as much about that personally as long as RTSP stays in play.

Morgon

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I'm referring to the DB2A. When I emailed Voxx about it, I mentioned that RCA's DB1 had ONVIF support (at least briefly).. it seems he's said it was an accident, and re-iterated that the DB2 doesn't have ONVIF. The RTSP was only just to say they weren't going to help me access it (I didn't mention RTSP in my initial message).

I'm not keen on using the DB1, but does Nelly's version have ONVIF? I use an NVR which doesn't (as far as I've been able to find) support pulling via RTSP, so it's a must-have.

argus

n3wb
Reaction score
I have just received my HSDB2A and have it running with my existing door bell 20VAC supply, I have it running on the bench upstairs with resistor (no chime), the wireless router downstairs and had no connection issue and setup was reasonably painless. The one concern I have is the unit runs very hot. I measured the rear top half of the unit to be 140F and the bottom half to be 120F. The front of the unit is not as warm at around 115F top, 95F bottom.
Is this normal?

Glen Mark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Been poking around with this device for about a week. A number of issues/observations/tips.

1. Setup used the EZVIZ app -- TIP: didn't work until I turned off the cellular although it connected to the camera wifi every time it failed to find it, presume the packets were probably going out the wrong IP interface
2. Mounted it to the door. Had to replace my mechanical with an electronic chime. The Power Pak didn't let enough power pass through to the chime with my old transformer (at 16VAC) so replaced with a 24VAC and resolved that problem. Company sent me another (Hikvision) power pak, it worked on the old transformer about 15 minutes before it all went belly up and kept ringing / stopping. Finally the Hik power pak just flat out died. Went back to the RCA and the new transformer.
3. The EZVIZ app just doesn't launch reliably when pressing the doorbell button -- this one is a showstopper. The purpose of an electronic doorbell is to get these notifications. The iPhone did a bit better than the android at ringing, but eventually both didn't do well. Running all the latest apps and camera firmware. No other way I can think of getting notifications from this. IFTTT doesn't seem to support button press, so I can't get that to alert through my SmartThings HA hub (which would be slow anyway, but better late than never). So, I turned my attention to BI...
4. Was able to connect to BI using RTSP (BI was able to discover how to talk with it). However, the doorbell continuously crashes and reboots! It doesn't do that when just using a phone/tablet to view, even multiple. Something with BI communications causes it to reboot every 30-90 minutes. Sometimes it reboots just when going in and out of BI cam settings and the RTSP stream restarts. Pulled it off my door onto the bench for testing. Definitely not the transformer, wiring or anything else. Unfortunately, after trying a number of BI settings, was not able to stop it from rebooting or losing the video stream (usually a predictor of an impending reboot).

Anyone else experiencing the same reliability issues?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Been poking around with this device for about a week. A number of issues/observations/tips.

4. Was able to connect to BI using RTSP (BI was able to discover how to talk with it). However, the doorbell continuously crashes and reboots! It doesn't do that when just using a phone/tablet to view, even multiple. Something with BI communications causes it to reboot every 30-90 minutes. Sometimes it reboots just when going in and out of BI cam settings and the RTSP stream restarts. Pulled it off my door onto the bench for testing. Definitely not the transformer, wiring or anything else. Unfortunately, after trying a number of BI settings, was not able to stop it from rebooting or losing the video stream (usually a predictor of an impending reboot).

Anyone else experiencing the same reliability issues?
This could be simply because the camera cannot keep up with sending a constant stream to BI. To test, send the rtsp stream to vlc. If it is fine in vlc, email BI support.