New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Although the power input spec is 12-24VAC I'm reading that people have successfully used 12VDC. When using DC does the positive go to the top connector or the bottom? Thanks!
I don't have your answer, I did a search "DC power" on this Thread, there have been many discussions about DC power being used on these Doorbells. Here are a few post:

@pete_c Do you know if there is a Positive/Negative post on our DB?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@David L

I have never powered or tested the Doorbell with DC power.
Gotcha. I just found an old post where you mentioned DC Power

Normally DC power would be marked or have different size/color screws correct?

abrum

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, David and Pete.

@travisk On Aug 13, 2022 you said "If i disconnect the DB and bring it inside and hook it to a 12vdc power adapter..."
Do you remember if you hooked up the positive voltage to the top or bottom screw? Thanks!

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have had the Hikvision branded one, DS-HD1, for about two years. It faces south so gets a fair amount of sun (shaded a little when sun is highest in mid summer). Center lens is badly cracking. Need to investigate a bit more but think that's the cover for motion sensor. Is this a common issue? I may be able to cover it with more durable plastic but would loose function of that sensor (which wouldn't be much of any issue).

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have had the Hikvision branded one, DS-HD1, for about two years. It faces south so gets a fair amount of sun (shaded a little when sun is highest in mid summer). Center lens is badly cracking. Need to investigate a bit more but think that's the cover for motion sensor. Is this a common issue? I may be able to cover it with more durable plastic but would loose function of that sensor (which wouldn't be much of any issue).
I am afraid so. Normally the PIR lens gets cracked from people pushing the wrong button. It is one of our CONS: in our 101:

CONS:
HEAT; yes, these Doorbells do run hot. Ours has been running 6 months now beginning in the Heat of Summer (100 degrees) to now mild Winter. Time will only tell us if this is a problem. There has been a lot of discussion about this matter, some have lowered heat by lowering voltage, others have lowered heat with custom mounts. Even read one guy added a fan. Our Doorbell read 140 degrees during the Summer with a Temp. Gun. I would just say make sure it is not in direct Sunlight. From what I have been told/read these type of cameras (IP too) tend to run hot.
⦁ PIR Lens; It has been mentioned here by several that people are mistakenly pressing the PIR Lens (Middle) instead of Doorbell Button (Bottom). I have witnessed this a few times myself. Chadsturgill here has reported his Lens is now cracked. This seems to happen more when the LED Button light is turned Off (some of us have turned it Off because it is very bright at night).
⦁ Receiving Phone Calls from your Doorbell when the Doorbell Button is pressed has been known to not always be consistent, for more info on this see TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't look pushed in. Just cracked. Looks like UV damage to me.
View attachment 155133
So my thought is water. If it rains and water gets inside that would be a problem. Wonder if you could paint a clear coat of some kind of paint on it. Like a finger nail polish...or something for plastic...

It would need to be Clear...

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So my thought is water. If it rains and water gets inside that would be a problem. Wonder if you could paint a clear coat of some kind of paint on it. Like a finger nail polish...or something for plastic...

It would need to be Clear...
Will check out how warm it is. Seems like I felt the case shortly after install and it wasn't very warm. Lowering the voltage? Got any links to that info? Or maybe there is a way to search for it in this huge thread? I saw a search icon at the top of page but I didn't see a way to search just one topic. Thinking I may find or make something that covers the lens and RTV it over the existing. A flat plate trimmed to size could go on the front of the bezel - it it was thin it wouldn't be too ugly. :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will check out how warm it is. Seems like I felt the case shortly after install and it wasn't very warm. Lowering the voltage? Got any links to that info? Or maybe there is a way to search for it in this huge thread? I saw a search icon at the top of page but I didn't see a way to search just one topic. Thinking I may find or make something that covers the lens and RTV it over the existing. A flat plate trimmed to size could go on the front of the bezel - it it was thin it wouldn't be too ugly. :)
So I have had my Hik DB, same as yours just from LaView, for 3 1/2 years. I just replaced it with the new ReoLink Doorbell, but not because it was not working, it has been great these past years, just that this new DB is POE.

Anyway, I live in the South, 100 plus temps during Summer months, and even though this DB runs hot it has performed fine. Seems a lot of cameras run hot from what I have found. Mine is not in direct sun though but under a porch.

Some here has lowered voltage and I believe it dropped a few degrees but not enough to mess with, IMO. If you have a Chime I would not lower it to much since the Chime will not work properly. To lower you would need another transformer.

As far as searching this Forum, you can search key words, you can narrow your search to the this Thread too.

Only thing about the PIR lens is you do not want to block the PIR sensor, so what ever you use needs to be clear if applied on. The plastic lens is a tinted clear lens. I believe someone here tried a clear lens type replacement and it did not work.

I did not use the PIR on this DB. I run Blue Iris and I let it detect motion. So for me I would been able to tape over my PIR lens if cracked since I did not use it.

HTH

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Only thing about the PIR lens is you do not want to block the PIR sensor, so what ever you use needs to be clear if applied on. The plastic lens is a tinted clear lens. I believe someone here tried a clear lens type replacement and it did not work.

I did not use the PIR on this DB. I run Blue Iris and I let it detect motion. So for me I would been able to tape over my PIR lens if cracked since I did not use it.
My situation is similar. I don't use their system. I just use it as a camera with a zoneminder system that detects motion. So I could tape over it. But I would like it to look decent.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My situation is similar. I don't use their system. I just use it as a camera with a zoneminder system that detects motion. So I could tape over it. But I would like it to look decent.
Yep. What we found is the PIR worked on this DB, problem was trying to set the right Zone/Area or distance. If you set it too close it would not pick up anyone until they were almost right in front of the DB, any setting other than close would bring many false alerts, if facing a street it would pick up vehicles easily. For me, when I was testing the PIR I got it to detect at around 5 feet out and only had false alerts when big trucks would drive by, so in away it would of worked for me, but as you know with ZoneMinder, Blue Iris being similar, we can setup trip zones, hot spots, etc. making our motion captures much more accurate.

Add an AI like DeepStack or CodeProject.AI and you can detect persons. dogs, cats, cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc getting even more accurate/detailed.

.1677207376341.png

Last edited:

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I put some thin kitchen plastic wrap over the cracked IR window. I took the 4 screws out around it but the lens underneath I couldn't get off so I put the wrap over it and put the ring and 4 screws to hold it in place. It works but probably not a long term solution.

I am trying to put it on an isolated network. I now think I could have used a PC program to modify the settings but did the reset button on it and am now having trouble getting it connected again. From my notes I used the config utility... Enabled guest wifi on the router and will try again. The app shows my cell number to log in but as I recall I never set up an account and avoided it somehow. Maybe I am wrong on that. In any case I can't seem to get logged into the app and if I set a password I don't know what it was. I apparently set this up on an old android phone without cell service - still have the phone and trying to use it again.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I put some thin kitchen plastic wrap over the cracked IR window. I took the 4 screws out around it but the lens underneath I couldn't get off so I put the wrap over it and put the ring and 4 screws to hold it in place. It works but probably not a long term solution.

I am trying to put it on an isolated network. I now think I could have used a PC program to modify the settings but did the reset button on it and am now having trouble getting it connected again. From my notes I used the config utility... Enabled guest wifi on the router and will try again. The app shows my cell number to log in but as I recall I never set up an account and avoided it somehow. Maybe I am wrong on that. In any case I can't seem to get logged into the app and if I set a password I don't know what it was. I apparently set this up on an old android phone without cell service - still have the phone and trying to use it again.
just gave u a PM

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a timeout on the setup? I reset my camera last night and had some trouble connecting. This morning I don't see the cameras AP so think I need to reset it again.

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Having some trouble reconfiguring my HikVision DB. Setup guest wifi with internet access. I reset the DB and have the phone connected to guest wifi and running Hik-Connect ap in visitor mode. I scan the code under the button and reset the DB. After several steps it says "wifi connected" so something similar. Then counts down to zero and displays two buttons. " Incorrect wifi password. Try again." and "Complicated environment of the wifi network. The cameras wifi functionality may be affected."

I am using an old cell phone without a sim card. Should this cause an issue with the ap wanting to communicate with the doorbell access point and the cell network for internet at the same time? I could load the app on my current phone and just delete it when done with configuration or use a tablet.

I did get the video working at one point with iVRS-4500 but never saw a chance to configure the chime so my doorbell chime did not work.

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thought I would try putting Hik-connect on my current phone and googleplay says it isn't available for my region. I am in the US. ??

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for late reply...So have you checked out our 101 Troubleshooting section?

There are several ways to get your DB connected to your Network.

So Hik App is no longer on GooglePlay. You have to go to Hikvision App store. Hik Connect will be there.