New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have installed many of these and everything worked exactly as designed each time.

As the replacement unit is behaving the same way, most reasonable people would say the issues lie somewhere other than the unit or the app.

The folks here have tried to help you but it didn't seem to take.

And in regards to the amateur-hour wiring installation, why don't you enlarge the hole (like to 3/4" or so) where the bell wire comes through so you can tuck the wire nuts into the newly enlarged space?

I rate this model a 'BUY' because of the features, ease of deployment, reliability, ability to be cloud independent, good apps with instant notficatations and reasonable price.

Right now there are only 2 gaps preventing an 'INSTA-BUY' rating: 1. ONVIF support with 2 way audio in all branding firmwares and 2. lack of a POE interface option.
I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I know Android versions can sometimes be the problem with certain Apps, Oreo v8.0.0 worked for us. I too read several reviews regarding Android App issues, only issue I had was when I first tried to connect to my ASUS AC3200 router the Doorbell kept announcing "incorrect network password", knowing my router has had this problem with many other smart devices in the past (The 3200 is known to connect to the 5GHz band first on new connections), I temporarily turned off the 5GHz radios on my router so the device would connect at 2.4GHz which then the Doorbell instantly connected. 2.4GHz is better for longer distant between router/device anyway.

I agree the App could use some work/improvement but I have to say that not being married to a Cloud service, being able to record locally (SD Card), RTSP feeds and now ONVIF support, way out weigh the minor issues with the App, the App will improve over time. A POE version would be great but as you know it would not be a big seller since few people would want to replace their Doorbell with Ethernet wire, there are plenty of Dome IP Camera POE options with two-way audio out there. This Doorbell is a definite 'BUY' for me.

Question; You mentioned two-way audio with ONVIF, how would that be applied? I thought ONVIF just opens the door for other brands of NVRs other than LaView's or Hikvision that can be used for viewing/recording. I have not purchased a NVR or NAS yet, are you able to two-way through the NVR? Thanks...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it's probably not the hardware (the physical hardware seems great), but it's likely issues with the software. There's so many issues that I've seen that it seems pretty obvious that they don't really test their software very well. There's WAY too many bugs in their software to be confident that it's anywhere near stable. I also went through the Amazon reviews (or it may have been the reviews for the android app, I can't recall exactly) and found that others have had issues setting up their doorbells with the Android app and had to find an iOS device just to set it up, so at least I know that it's not just me.

As for the wiring, I was trying to set it up in a rush as the replacement just came in just before I was heading away for a week and I REALLY wanted to get this camera up and running before I left so I could keep an eye on packages delivered. I know I could just pop a hole but I'm not sure if the wires run from above or below and if I drill and hit my wires, there's no way I could repair them in the wall, so I need to be very careful, but I'll fix it eventually. I'm just saying it would be nice if they had designed a cavity just big enough for two small marretts.
Just a suggestion, I would definitely replace your transformer, had mine not worked I would have purchased this one: https://www.amazon.com/Edwards-Signaling-598-120V-Transformer/dp/B007B79HR2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=edwards+16+30vac&qid=1565140040&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Also you mentioned not being able to read the Logo on the guy's shirt, did you pinch/zoom in the App? I find that feature to be a great zoom feature, I have actually read a shipping label once and screen captured it with my phone.

Oh one more thing, you do not have to use the wire nuts, I would suggest Low Voltage B Connectors https://www.amazon.com/Low-Voltage-Wire-Connectors-B-Connectors/dp/B06ZYRF9S8/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?keywords=alarm+u+wire+connectors&qid=1565140655&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr2 they should be slim enough to push back in your wall.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I know Android versions can sometimes be the problem with certain Apps, Oreo v8.0.0 worked for us. I too read several reviews regarding Android App issues, only issue I had was when I first tried to connect to my ASUS AC3200 router the Doorbell kept announcing "incorrect network password", knowing my router has had this problem with many other smart devices in the past (The 3200 is known to connect to the 5GHz band first on new connections), I temporarily turned off the 5GHz radios on my router so the device would connect at 2.4GHz which then the Doorbell instantly connected. 2.4GHz is better for longer distant between router/device anyway.

I agree the App could use some work/improvement but I have to say that not being married to a Cloud service, being able to record locally (SD Card), RTSP feeds and now ONVIF support, way out weigh the minor issues with the App, the App will improve over time. A POE version would be great but as you know it would not be a big seller since few people would want to replace their Doorbell with Ethernet wire, there are plenty of Dome IP Camera POE options with two-way audio out there. This Doorbell is a definite 'BUY' for me.

Question; You mentioned two-way audio with ONVIF, how would that be applied? I thought ONVIF just opens the door for other brands of NVRs other than LaView's or Hikvision that can be used for viewing/recording. I have not purchased a NVR or NAS yet, are you able to two-way through the NVR? Thanks...
Yeah, I've also read that some people had no issues with this doorbell so I assumed that it was my router as well, but I tried a completely different router right out of the box and it still didn't work (though looking back, I'm guessing that they were using iOS devices). When I was setting up the doorbell, I think I recalled a message saying that it doesn't work on 5Ghz bands (which is one of the reasons I thought it wouldn't set up properly), so I set it up on the 2.5Ghz band, then tried switching over to my 5Ghz band and it worked (huh???). My router is very close to my doorbell so I'd rather use 5Ghz for better throughput.

Yeah, the fact that they added ONVIF support shows that they are making an attempt at improving the product, so I'd give it a chance and probably reccomend it. They REALLY need to improve on the android app though and make the setup a little smoother.

I mentioned two way audio, but it has nothing to do with ONVIF. It's through the LaView app when someone presses the button, it's SUPPOSED to notify you on your phone and give you the option to "answer" the doorbell and be able to see and chat with whoever is at the door, but it's never really worked for me. I just tried again last night (after I upgraded my transformer) and my phone just flashes (as if it was about to display the answer screen), so that functionality doesn't really work for me, but I could live without it (as I got the camera for security), but it would be pretty cool if it worked. It would be cool to be able to talk to delivery people when I'm away from home.

Just a suggestion, I would definitely replace your transformer, had mine not worked I would have purchased this one: https://www.amazon.com/Edwards-Signaling-598-120V-Transformer/dp/B007B79HR2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=edwards+16+30vac&qid=1565140040&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Also you mentioned not being able to read the Logo on the guy's shirt, did you pinch/zoom in the App? I find that feature to be a great zoom feature, I have actually read a shipping label once and screen captured it with my phone.

Oh one more thing, you do not have to use the wire nuts, I would suggest Low Voltage B Connectors https://www.amazon.com/Low-Voltage-Wire-Connectors-B-Connectors/dp/B06ZYRF9S8/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?keywords=alarm+u+wire+connectors&qid=1565140655&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr2 they should be slim enough to push back in your wall.
Yep, I just upgraded my 16v to a 24v last night and that fixed my mechanical doorbell not ringing. Now it's nice and loud.

Taking a still with the app was another issue I had. It was pretty infurating to use. I found it very difficult to stop the playback just at the right moment (controls are really finicky) and if you take a snapshot (even if you are zoomed in) it just takes a full snapshot. You can zoom in, but only when the video is playing (not when paused) which is a PITA, and you can't control the video when zoomed in (controls are only avaliable when viewing at 1x zoom level). So ability to grab a detailed still with the app also needs a LOT of work.

Yeah, I might try those connectors, but the hole I'm working with now is pretty small, so I might just end up drilling in a hole offset (so I don't hit any wires) to tuck in my nuts (hehe). It may not be pretty, but it would keep the connectors hidden.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"I mentioned two way audio, but it has nothing to do with ONVIF."

What are you talking about? ONVIF Profile T is the specification for bi-directional audio and works great in Blue Iris. If someone can figure out the ONVIF bi-directional audio (like in the crappy HSDB-1 and its variants) then the only (perhaps never to be bridged) gap is the POE connectivity.

Regarding your complaining about reading the logo on the guy's shirt, do you have the resolution set to 'Ultra HD' (Chinese for 1080p)? I have never been wanting for higher res using this doorbell.

Regarding your complaining about the fish eye effect, thats the way it a lens with 170 or 180 degree FOV works if you want to be able to see the ground in front of the door. The app does have dewarp for the fisheye-challenged.

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

What are you talking about? ONVIF Profile T is the specification for bi-directional audio and works great in Blue Iris. If someone can figure out the ONVIF bi-directional audio (like in the crappy HSDB-1 and its variants) then the only (perhaps never to be bridged) gap is the POE connectivity.

Regarding your complaining about reading the logo on the guy's shirt, do you have the resolution set to 'Ultra HD' (Chinese for 1080p)? I have never been wanting for higher res using this doorbell.

Regarding your complaining about the fish eye effect, thats the way it a lens with 170 or 180 degree FOV works if you want to be able to see the ground in front of the door. The app does have dewarp for the fisheye-challenged.
Sorry, should have clarified. When I referring to two way audio earlier, I wasn't referring to ONVIF, but the app's ring/answer function. I think we just got our wires crossed.

I'm not sure what my video resolution setting is as there's no setting for video quality in the app under the camera settings.
2019-08-07 09.06.49-2.jpg

I did find a resolution setting in the live view, but I'm not sure if that setting affects the recording resolution. I changed it from Hi-Def to Ultra HD and I'll try it and see if that affects the recording resolution.

I can't seem to find the dewarp option in the app, but I'll try researching a way to find it.

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

You can do two way audio through laview and blue Iris?

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can do two way audio through laview and blue Iris?
Here's where we are right now:

Laview (and all the apps) support 2 way audio

BI supports 2 way audio

ONVIF has specifications for 2 way audio

Laview's new firmware is promoted as supporting the ONVIF protocol

The first gen garbage HSDB-1 (manufactured by Hikvision as well) works with BI 2 way audio

AS OF THIS POST I KNOW OF NO ONE THAT HAS GOT 2 WAY AUDIO WORKING WITH BI AND THE HSDB2A.

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here's where we are right now:

Laview (and all the apps) support 2 way audio

BI supports 2 way audio

ONVIF has specifications for 2 way audio

Laview's new firmware is promoted as supporting the ONVIF protocol

The first gen garbage HSDB-1 (manufactured by Hikvision as well) works with BI 2 way audio

AS OF THIS POST I KNOW OF NO ONE THAT HAS GOT 2 WAY AUDIO WORKING WITH BI AND THE HSDB2A.
Oh ok thanks. ONVIF is working now at least on the Laview right?

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am not sure. Right now there is no going back on firmware upgrades so I am in no hurry to try the ONVIF support firmware as everything is working perfect for the units I have deployed.

Give it a go and share the results!

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I took the latest update and I can now use ONVIF with my Hikvision NVR and it seems to be working great! Way better than just using the RTS feed. Haven't yet tested to see if the motion detection works yet (set it up, but haven't yet gotten an alert) which is the main reason I was hoping for an ONVIF update. Can't comment on the two way audio though as I don't think my NVR has that functionality.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not sure. Right now there is no going back on firmware upgrades so I am in no hurry to try the ONVIF support firmware as everything is working perfect for the units I have deployed.

Give it a go and share the results!
My 2 cents; I cannot speak for ONVIF since I do not have a NVR/NAS to test but as far as the upgraded firmware V5.2.4 build 190716, all is good, there is no difference in performance between the previous firmware V5.2.4 build 190103 for us...my wife and I check it daily on 2 Android phones from our work. We are pleased with the out of local network monitoring, we have tested on different WiFi networks with no problems, only issues we have had is while on Cell only networks which is to be expected depending on Cell carrier connections, but surprisingly I have been on a 3G connection and was able to monitor. Our real test will be overseas :)
upload_2019-8-8_16-50-44.png

I just hope others will share their ONVIF experiences so I know which NAS or NVR I will purchase.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I took the latest update and I can now use ONVIF with my Hikvision NVR and it seems to be working great! Way better than just using the RTS feed. Haven't yet tested to see if the motion detection works yet (set it up, but haven't yet gotten an alert) which is the main reason I was hoping for an ONVIF update. Can't comment on the two way audio though as I don't think my NVR has that functionality.
What model is your Hikvision NVR?

argus

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the RCA branded version but have installed and registered the device on the LaView One iOS app but am not being offered the ONVIF update, it just says “no new version available”, what am I doing wrong, I have v5.2.4 bld 190124?
Maybe I need to borrow an android device to update?

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here I am using the Ezviz DB1 firmware V 5.2.4 build 190708. But no onvif yet according to the windows onvif- device-manager. Have also not seen any announcement.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here I am using the Ezviz DB1 firmware V 5.2.4 build 190708. But no onvif yet according to the windows onvif- device-manager. Have also not seen any announcement.
I would call their Tech. Support. This is how I found out of the ONVIF beta testing from LaView prior to their release, I was told they were looking to release at the end of July if all test go good.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the RCA branded version but have installed and registered the device on the LaView One iOS app but am not being offered the ONVIF update, it just says “no new version available”, what am I doing wrong, I have v5.2.4 bld 190124?
Maybe I need to borrow an android device to update?
This is interesting, I actually had the same thought that if EZVIZ or RCA released ONVIF before LaView would I be able to use their App to upgrade my LaView Doorbell. Let us know what happens, only help I can provide is that we got the upgrade on our Samsung Galaxy 7 Oreo v8.0.0 phone, LaView App version V3.8.20190327

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay guys if I get the laview would my current doorbell wire work? I use this https://tinyurl.com/yxbathac Also could I buy this chime https://tinyurl.com/yyy2zq63 ? If so I assume the doorbell wire would hook into the chime and then it would go up into the doorbell?
I am a little confused with your questions, all the Smart Doorbell does is replace your existing Doorbell button, as long as you have enough power to operate the Smart Doorbell and your Chime you will be ok, the transformer you listed looks like it will be able to do the job. You could always call LaView Support to check with them first. Are you changing out an existing chime and replacing it with this mechanical chime? https://tinyurl.com/yyy2zq63

I purchased the ONE Halo from LaView directly, they had a 20% off entire site sale so I got the Doorbell for $143.20 TOTAL (free shipping and no taxes) which beat other online retailers at that time (Looks like they have a 15% off sale now). The reason I mentioned this is I felt by buying direct I would have better support or warranty, I have found this to be true in other products I have, it seems something to do with them finding you in their system to have purchased from them directly that they respond better. Anyway, just my experience/opinion.

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am a little confused with your questions, all the Smart Doorbell does is replace your existing Doorbell button, as long as you have enough power to operate the Smart Doorbell and your Chime you will be ok, the transformer you listed looks like it will be able to do the job. You could always call LaView Support to check with them first. Are you changing out an existing chime and replacing it with this mechanical chime? https://tinyurl.com/yyy2zq63
Sorry I didn't explain better. I don't have a chime at all so this would be a new thing. My current doorbell comes with a wireless chime. Also I never had a doorbell until I got this smart doorbell.