New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Due to an unfortunate cascade of bad choices, I have the lifeless carcass of an RCA-badged doorbell available as an organ donor. A few pages back there was discussion of a cracked IR dome, for instance -- I have an intact one I can drop in USPS, no charge. I hate to see more tech waste if someone can use any of it, so if you need any parts send me PM and we'll work out delivery.

Interesting side note for those concerned about heat: the entire backplate of the unit is pot metal, and there are thermal conduction pads coupling the hottest board components to the backplate. In essence, the entire backplate is a heatsink, so I don't think temperature is likely to be a long term problem.

View attachment 52187
This is much better designed and thought than the skybell HD and the ring I had. Thanks for the pics!

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is much better designed and thought than the skybell HD and the ring I had. Thanks for the pics!
I would definitely take it!
Do you want me to pay the postage. I’m the one with the cracked dome.

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nah, I can cover the postage. PM me the address and I'll get it into the holiday traffic jam ASAP.
Just sent you my info, must of crossed paths! Thanks for covering postage! You are awesome! Really appreciate it!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just sent you my info, must of crossed paths! Thanks for covering postage! You are awesome! Really appreciate it!
Well in my opinion, you deserve it. You were the first of us all to try out the firmware(s) found, you could of easily bricked your Doorbell, for me I would not be able to easily explain this to my wife :) Glad you are getting your fix.
Let us know how big of a sign you put up stating, "DO NOT PUSH MIDDLE BUTTON!!!" Of course if I saw that sign I would Push It :) Haha

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you checked out the FCC pics, they disassemble the whole Doorbell. I have the links listed in the 101...

Reaction score
Hi guys i bought the ezviz db1 and plugged it. The doorbell looks to work fine ( wifi ok and when i push the button i receive a call on my phone) but the mechanical doesnt work. I plugged the power pack to it . I dont know where is my transformer. I can only access to the wires from chime and oroginal doorbell.
Any advise ? Is the compatible mechanical list very limited to the ones listed ?

Thanks

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Due to an unfortunate cascade of bad choices, I have the lifeless carcass of an RCA-badged doorbell available as an organ donor. A few pages back there was discussion of a cracked IR dome, for instance -- I have an intact one I can drop in USPS, no charge. I hate to see more tech waste if someone can use any of it, so if you need any parts send me PM and we'll work out delivery.

Interesting side note for those concerned about heat: the entire backplate of the unit is pot metal, and there are thermal conduction pads coupling the hottest board components to the backplate. In essence, the entire backplate is a heatsink, so I don't think temperature is likely to be a long term problem.

View attachment 52187
Sorry to hear this, if you are looking to replace, EZVIZ is still under $100:

EZVIZ @ Amazon
EZVIZ @ Walmart

Thank you for your organ donation to Chad :) He has been a great contributor to this Group/Forum.
And last, thank you for sharing info of the heat sink you found, helps put our mind more at ease...I will put the info in my 101...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys i bought the ezviz db1 and plugged it. The doorbell looks to work fine ( wifi ok and when i push the button i receive a call on my phone) but the mechanical doesnt work. I plugged the power pack to it . I dont know where is my transformer. I can only access to the wires from chime and oroginal doorbell.
Any advise ? Is the compatible mechanical list very limited to the ones listed ?

Thanks
Dumb question but did you pick Mech. Chime in the App?

I helped a friend find his in his attic with my Toner.

I know nothing of the above Toner, I have a Fluke I used for work.

Reaction score
Dumb question but did you pick Mech. Chime in the App?

I helped a friend find his in his attic with my Toner.

I know nothing of the above Toner, I have a Fluke I used for work.

Thx for your reply.
Yes i did choose mech chime in the app.
So i plugged this to the doorbell and then ? Try to follow the cables ?

IPCamo

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, if you are looking to replace, EZVIZ is still under $100:

EZVIZ @ Amazon
EZVIZ @ Walmart

Thank you for your organ donation to Chad :) He has been a great contributor to this Group/Forum.
And last, thank you for sharing info of the heat sink you found, helps put our mind more at ease...I will put the info in my 101...

Eh...I just chalk it up as "tuition expense". :) I've already bought a replacement....but under $100 for this device might tempt me into buying one for the back door!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thx for your reply.
Yes i did choose mech chime in the app.
So i plugged this to the doorbell and then ? Try to follow the cables ?
So what I use a Toner for is cable location, you would turn off power, use the alligator clips to connect to the wires (either at the Chime or Doorbell) (Make note of color and size of jacket of the wires), then with the Probe you go in the attic till you hear the tone created by the toner and follow the cable to your transformer. Unfortunately transformers can be located in all kinds of places. I found ours attached to our attic light junction box. But by tracing the cable with a toner, I found it in less than 5 minutes. Anyone who runs cable, Telephone, IT Techs, etc., usually has toners, so if you know anyone in those fields they could help. If you have a basement, check there.

1576366164594.png

Type of Transformer you would be looking for, though there are some here who have wall socket brick types:

1576366491301.pngOR1576366698403.png

Helpful links:

Reaction score
So what I use a Toner for is cable location, you would turn off power, use the alligator clips to connect to the wires (either at the Chime or Doorbell) (Make note of color and size of jacket of the wires), then with the Probe you go in the attic till you hear the tone created by the toner and follow the cable to your transformer. Unfortunately transformers can be located in all kinds of places. I found ours attached to our attic light junction box. But by tracing the cable with a toner, I found it in less than 5 minutes. Anyone who runs cable, Telephone, IT Techs, etc., usually has toners, so if you know anyone in those fields they could help. If you have a basement, check there.

View attachment 52202

Type of Transformer you would be looking for, though there are some here who have wall socket brick types:

View attachment 52203ORView attachment 52204

Helpful links:

Thanks im gonna try to find it and see what i can do

Reaction score

View attachment 52187
Is there any chance the pins at CN2 are a console TTY port? Did you let out all the magic smoke, did it go all spritzensparken, or is it simply not talking?

Luvkashyap

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I installed the LA View firmware on my EZVIZ DB1 Video Door Bell as mentioned on Page 69, selected the ONVIF protocol, correct IP via SADP. It shows its configured on my NVR(Hikvision)
but when I go playback., says "No record file'. What could be the reason for that ?

IPCamo

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there any chance the pins at CN2 are a console TTY port? Did you let out all the magic smoke, did it go all spritzensparken, or is it simply not talking?
Funny you should ask that precise question. I was attempting to probe CN2 when the badness happened.

See the two large holes above CN2 (one directly above CN2 and one slightly to the right of that)? Those are the power contacts that mate with the brass posts visible in the top half of the assembly. Those posts are connected to the input screws on the back of the doorbell and they are fed power from the AC transformer. I had alligator clips on those contacts to power the unit for testing. When I nudged one of the clips to probe CN2, the clip jumped off the contact and landed on the board surface -- which is bristling with shiny things that expect around 3vdc, not 16vac. Didn't see/hear any arc, but the LEDs went dark and the unit shows no sign of ever coming back to life.

My reason for exploring CN2 was an attempt to unbrick it after a bad firmware upgrade.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
I installed the LA View firmware on my EZVIZ DB1 Video Door Bell as mentioned on Page 69, selected the ONVIF protocol, correct IP via SADP. It shows its configured on my NVR(Hikvision)
but when I go playback., says "No record file'. What could be the reason for that ?
Is everything else working? In the App? Have you tried VLC stream? I do not have a NVR so I would not be able to help in it's settings. Maybe you have to turn off Image Encryption in the App, though I do not have to using Blue Iris. Let us know the model of your NVR, there are several here using Hikvision NVRs.

Reaction score
Funny you should ask that precise question. I was attempting to probe CN2 when the badness happened.

See the two large holes above CN2 (one directly above CN2 and one slightly to the right of that)? Those are the power contacts that mate with the brass posts visible in the top half of the assembly. Those posts are connected to the input screws on the back of the doorbell and they are fed power from the AC transformer. I had alligator clips on those contacts to power the unit for testing. When I nudged one of the clips to probe CN2, the clip jumped off the contact and landed on the board surface -- which is bristling with shiny things that expect around 3vdc, not 16vac. Didn't see/hear any arc, but the LEDs went dark and the unit shows no sign of ever coming back to life.

My reason for exploring CN2 was an attempt to unbrick it after a bad firmware upgrade.
So sorry to hear der spritzensparken consumed your device after a firmware flash malfunction.
That sounds exactly like something that would happen to me. :cool:

Reaction score
Hi
Is there any SD card inserted? I don't believe it will record video without an SD card.