New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
hi yall,

Will this device work and function as normal and record to the SD card with doorbell press/motion without being hooked up to the internet? I ask because moving to a new place with no internet as of yet. I'm aware I wont get any notifications obviously.
Yes it will record to the internal SD card if installed. This is the main reason I (and many others here) have chosen this product. We prefer full control of data, without relying on cloud/subscription-based services.

Notifications on mobile require the mobile app, and access to internet/cloud services. In your scenario, you could use a small NAS or an NVR device which would get video flow from the camera via RTSP (on local network) and also manage motion detection events, and that would work on LAN, without the need of internet, but that would require in any case the specific mobile app of the NAS/NVR vendor.

I'm using Synology NAS with their Surveillance Station software package on the NAS and their DS Cam app on my mobile phone. This allows me to record all video from the camera and also be alerted in case of motion detection events found by the Surveillance Station software, that sends notification on my mobile through the DS Cam android app on my phone.

Hope that helps.

dromero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
i'm back with a new power supply, 12V AC, the same as @Emiks5 suggested. I also got a new camera because I still couldn't get a constant stream after using the new power supply :-(
I'm using vlc as follows:

record.bat

@echo off
:loop
set hour=%time:~0,2%
if "%hour:~0,1%" == " " set hour=0%hour:~1,1%
echo hour=%hour%
set min=%time:~3,2%
if "%min:~0,1%" == " " set min=0%min:~1,1%
echo min=%min%
set month=%date:~4,2%
if "%month:~0,1%" == " " set month=0%month:~1,1%
echo month=%month%
set day=%date:~0,2%
if "%day:~0,1%" == " " set day=0%day:~1,1%
echo day=%day%

set datetimef=%year%%month%%day%_%hour%%min%

echo datetimef=%datetimef%
vlc.exe -I dummy "rtsp:/admin:****@192.168.1.173:554/Streaming/Channels/1" --network-caching=1000 --sout="#transcode{vcodec=theo,vb=700,scale=1,deinterlace=0,acodec=vorb,ab=0,channels=2,samplerate=8400}:standard{access=file,mux=ogg,dst='C:\temp\EzViz\EzViz-%datetimef%.ogv'}" --logfile=C:\temp\EzViz\EzViz-%datetimef%.log --logmode=text --file-logging --run-time=1200 vlc:/quit
goto loop

at the beginning it works and it create multiple files, but after a while it loops and only creates empty files.

The onvif device manager still detects the camera but can't get the events nor the stream when this happens.

Only pulling the power gets it back working.

any ideas?

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
i'm back with a new power supply, 12V AC, the same as @Emiks5 suggested. I also got a new camera because I still couldn't get a constant stream after using the new power supply :-(
I'm using vlc as follows:

record.bat

@echo off
:loop
set hour=%time:~0,2%
if "%hour:~0,1%" == " " set hour=0%hour:~1,1%
echo hour=%hour%
set min=%time:~3,2%
if "%min:~0,1%" == " " set min=0%min:~1,1%
echo min=%min%
set month=%date:~4,2%
if "%month:~0,1%" == " " set month=0%month:~1,1%
echo month=%month%
set day=%date:~0,2%
if "%day:~0,1%" == " " set day=0%day:~1,1%
echo day=%day%

set datetimef=%year%%month%%day%_%hour%%min%

echo datetimef=%datetimef%
vlc.exe -I dummy "rtsp:/admin:****@192.168.1.173:554/Streaming/Channels/1" --network-caching=1000 --sout="#transcode{vcodec=theo,vb=700,scale=1,deinterlace=0,acodec=vorb,ab=0,channels=2,samplerate=8400}:standard{access=file,mux=ogg,dst='C:\temp\EzViz\EzViz-%datetimef%.ogv'}" --logfile=C:\temp\EzViz\EzViz-%datetimef%.log --logmode=text --file-logging --run-time=1200 vlc:/quit
goto loop

at the beginning it works and it create multiple files, but after a while it loops and only creates empty files.

The onvif device manager still detects the camera but can't get the events nor the stream when this happens.

Only pulling the power gets it back working.

any ideas?
I had a similar problem creating multiple files in one folder with a raspberry pi. Solution for me was limitingvthe amount of files in one folder bij creating a folder per day, limiting the number of files to about max 50. Now I only record on movement.

danli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wish you much succes and hope you can pull this off.
I also looked at this possibilty some weeks ago but chickened out.
If you take on this challenge please take pictures of the steps you take so that others can learn. Maybe a tip is to practice on the bronze faceplate as nobody seems to use this one.
There is actually a quite simple way to do this. Remove the "button inlay", carefully using your prying tools. I just tested using a "plectrum". Insert it, do a circular movement, until it loosens from the adhesive. The just switch buttons. It might not even be necessary to apply new adhesive.

Attachments

danli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is actually a quite simple way to do this. Remove the "button inlay", carefully using your prying tools. I just tested using a "plectrum". Insert it, do a circular movement, until it loosens from the adhesive. The just switch buttons. It might not even be necessary to apply new adhesive.
Just one comment. Obviously one has to keep pressure (with a finger) on the backside of the transparent part of the button during the whole operation. So it doesn't brake.

Attachments

dromero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a similar problem creating multiple files in one folder with a raspberry pi. Solution for me was limitingvthe amount of files in one folder bij creating a folder per day, limiting the number of files to about max 50. Now I only record on movement.
It's not the small files, also when I manually stream with vnc from rtsp:/admin:****@192.168.1.173:554/Streaming/Channels/1 after a while it stops being accessible... and I can't reopen it...

do you guys who are able to stream 24h disconnect the camera from the cloud?? Or does it hickup because I've no SD card in it?

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
do you guys who are able to stream 24h disconnect the camera from the cloud??

I do not have my doorbell camera connected to the cloud and I am not much of a cell phone user these days. Many folks here utilize Windows Blue Iris. I use Zoneminder.

Personally only record events on Zoneminder. There are a few folks here who are doing 24/7 recording with their DVRs and the Doorbell.

Not sure how well a RPI can deal with 24/7 recording. I have only used / tested Intel / AMD based CPUs for NVRs (well Zoneminder - up to 15 cameras at one time).

SD cards in general are better than they used to be. Early use of the RPi with an SD card for automation always trashed the SD card after a bit.

I would try the same with an Intel / Arm computer and not assume that it is an issue with the doorbell. IE: you can watch the traffic with VLC and see too if it is dropping packets. That could be related to the WLAN connection from your WAP to the Doorbell.

Or does it hickup because I've no SD card in it?

Never tried this.

Well take this back as I testing first generation HikVision Video Doorbell with no SD card in it and it worked fine for me. (not connecting it to the cloud).

Last edited:

NOAMattD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great this is what I was hoping to see. I have several "plectrums" (I just call them guitar picks haha) so I should be all set. Thanks for sharing!

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's not the small files, also when I manually stream with vnc from rtsp:/admin:****@192.168.1.173:554/Streaming/Channels/1 after a while it stops being accessible... and I can't reopen it...

do you guys who are able to stream 24h disconnect the camera from the cloud?? Or does it hickup because I've no SD card in it?
My DB1 is disconnected from the cloud regarding the video feed. Only LAN distribution to my Synology NAS. No hickups here. I also tried VLC for 3-4 hours, I noticed no hickups.

What I can tell you though is that you need a good wireless connection, if the signal is only average, I noticed lots of strange behaviour. Test it near the wireless router/access point.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah wireless propagation is difficult to predict. It doesn't work that well with small SOHO combination boxes. If using one of those then utilize some free tools to check the signals with your wirelessly connected laptop / tablet / cellular phone.

What is the infrastructure of your home? (stone, brick, wood, et al).

I have a cousin in the EU with a vacation home in the mountains with at least 10 foot thick outside stone walls and portals for windows and beds that are built in to the stone of the inside walls.

Wireless does not work well there.

Also if possible utilize 2.4Ghz rather than 5 Ghz for the doorbell.

Many folks go with autonomous access points; many times connected via POE. Depending on the size of a home too your can go with multiple WAPs (Wireless access points).

Try this: walk around your home and outside near your doorbell with your laptop / tablet and look at the wireless signals.

Currently here utilizing Ruckus AP's having switched over from Ubiquiti (years) and Cisco APs for work (many many many years ago).

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

That cool .. Thanks for sharing this tip.

dromero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My DB1 is disconnected from the cloud regarding the video feed. Only LAN distribution to my Synology NAS. No hickups here. I also tried VLC for 3-4 hours, I noticed no hickups.

What I can tell you though is that you need a good wireless connection, if the signal is only average, I noticed lots of strange behaviour. Test it near the wireless router/access point.
Thanks, currently it's near the router. Maybe I'll try to put it near another router.

Do you have an SD card in it?

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, currently it's near the router. Maybe I'll try to put it near another router.

Do you have an SD card in it?
Yes I do, but I'm not recording anything in it. Anyway, check on the router if the cam has a good signal, if it does you can exclude that problem. Have you tried anything else than VLC?

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah wireless propagation is difficult to predict. It doesn't work that well with small SOHO combination boxes. If using one of those then utilize some free tools to check the signals with your wirelessly connected laptop / tablet / cellular phone.

What is the infrastructure of your home? (stone, brick, wood, et al).

I have a cousin in the EU with a vacation home in the mountains with at least 10 foot thick outside stone walls and portals for windows and beds that are built in to the stone of the inside walls.

Wireless does not work well there.

Also if possible utilize 2.4Ghz rather than 5 Ghz for the doorbell.

Many folks go with autonomous access points; many times connected via POE. Depending on the size of a home too your can go with multiple WAPs (Wireless access points).

Try this: walk around your home and outside near your doorbell with your laptop / tablet and look at the wireless signals.

Currently here utilizing Ruckus AP's having switched over from Ubiquiti (years) and Cisco APs for work (many many many years ago).
I'm using TP-Link Deco M9 Plus mesh network since 1 year. Got a kit of 3 for €350 in promo. ANd that fixed almost all of my issues regarding blind spots in some areas of the house and the outside environment. Then I added a couple of small Tp-link M3W mesh nodes (€30 each) to solve specific issues in closed isolated rooms. They work great, although you can't manage much, and I like to have full control of things, but for that budget I guess you can't pretend perfection. Connectivity is great since I use them. I recommend mesh networks to anyone with a medium-big house + garden.

I'll switch to WiFi 6 mesh products when they will be mature and prices will go down.

Jack007

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nicely done. Thanks for sharing and documenting.

And you even didn't have to glue the button back? Is some kind of silicon paste used?
Do you think that the task would be even easier by warming it up?

danli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nicely done. Thanks for sharing and documenting.

And you even didn't have to glue the button back? Is some kind of silicon paste used?
Do you think that the task would be even easier by warming it up?
I do not believe heating is necessary. The glue is really tacky and "rubber like" as is. I could just pop the buttons back without adding any additional glue. (Please note that I just did this out of curiosity.) The tricky part is when inserting the prying tool. One has to apply pressure on the edge of the transparent "rim" with the tool, while pushing gently from the back of the button, to create a gap where the tool can be inserted.

NOAMattD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do not believe heating is necessary. The glue is really tacky and "rubber like" as is. I could just pop the buttons back without adding any additional glue. (Please note that I just did this out of curiosity.) The tricky part is when inserting the prying tool. One has to apply pressure on the edge of the transparent "rim" with the tool, while pushing gently from the back of the button, to create a gap where the tool can be inserted.
Agree, there's no need to go crazy or overthink this. I recommend pushing up on the button from behind with both thumbs at first to see if one spot pops up easier than elsewhere, the adhesive is not spread uniformly.

once you've got your spot, just insert your prying tool in and go around in a circle working progressively towards the center until it pops off. there's a tab and groove at the top so you won't have problems aligning it straight when you put the other button back in. took all of a couple minutes.

if you're concerned about adhesion a little dab of super glue on the inside would probably do the trick.

Attachments

Teefussurf

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Everyone

New here and looking for help connecting my EZVIZ version to my LTS NVR which has two hard wired LTS cameras connected. I'm going through the Custom Adding on the NVR and thinking I am not doing something correctly, just not sure which part.

I confirmed via VLC that I can see the rstp stream (rtsp:/admin:**@192.168.1.181/Streaming/Channels/101/) so I know the live feed is accessible over network. When in the Custom Adding box, I'm entering the 192.186.1.181 as IP address, Default as Protocol (thats the only option) but wondering if I'm not using the Port number correctly. When I use port 8000, the NVR is able to see the model number, firmware version etc of the doorbell so I think it's seeing the doorbell, but I'm unable to generate a live feed. I've tried using port 554 (and 8554) but that makes things worse, just no connection and doesn't read the model number.

I've tried searching this forum, downloaded all the product manuals, but can't seem to figure out how to go about generating a live feed that the NVR can record. Any help greatly appreciated, and apologies for the novice question.

Attachments

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Most important is that you look at the wireless access point radio signals coming from the MAC address of the doorbell. Typically every combo SOHO / WAP includes the diagnostic radio strength. Write down the MAC address of the doorbell so that you could refer to the MAC address on the router and or any tools you are using.

Here my doorbell is mounted adjacent to the door on brick. The door is metal with side glass in wood panels. A few months ago tried using a wireless PIR sensor and mounted it on outside metal framing. It did not work at all. Moved it to the outside brick and it worked great. Currently utilize wired Optex outdoor sensors and Optex combo camera and PIR sensors.

Really only utilize wireless here for Amazon devices / tablets as I have run cat6 cabling everywhere to every room in the house (even the bathrooms).

Here the Ruckus WAPs automesh to each other. Typically first one configured becomes the master and you can manage the rest of WAPs via the master WAP.

Here have my WAP's hidden closets central to the house on main floor and second floor. (due to WAF - "Wife acceptance factor")

That said I did "adjust" the Ruckus SSID to only utilize 2.4Ghz for just the doorbell SSID.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is a Great Tip. It is definitely going in the Doorbell 101

Thank you for this Share...