New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Reaction score
U-Boot 2010.6 Clean Build for Fullhan FH8830
It's extremely likely this will brick your device! DO NOT FLASH THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE A FULL FLASH BACKUP AND ARE WILLING AND PREPARED TO DISASSEMBLE YOUR DOORBELL AND RESTORE THE FLASH FROM AN EXTERNAL PROGRAMMER. YOU MAY NEED TO DESOLDER THE IC TO RESTORE THE BACKUP!

I don't have access to hardware to test this for a few days.

I'm going to remove the proprietary HikVision software from this doorbell by replacing everything with stock U-Boot and RT-Thread or Linux if it's the last thing I do. I am not a professional developer, have never written code in C, and have almost no knowledge of ARM or any other computer architecture, so it's possible I may never accomplish any of these goals, but I am determined. Sending snapshots over HTTP to HikVision servers even though the doorbell does not have a HikConnect account configured is unacceptable. Rebooting every two minutes if the doorbell can't establish a connection to HikVision servers even when an account isn't configured is unacceptable. Not having local web config makes configuring this camera a real PITA, especially if you don't use HikConnect.

Any new code will be licensed as GPLv2 and easily accessible on GitHub. Patches will be submitted to have code mainlined in respective software.

Goals. Some simple, some difficult, some moonshots - in no particular order.
  • Remove all cloud dependencies
  • Remove all HikVision proprietary software
  • Build fully working U-Boot 2010.6
    • Port code to modern U-Boot (2022.7)
    • Submit patches to Das U-Boot project for Fullhan FH8830 SoC
  • Build RT-Thread
    • Port code to most recent RT-Thread
    • Submit patches to RT-Thread project for Fullhan FH8830 SoC
  • Build Linux
    • Port code to most recent Linux kernel
    • Mainline
  • Fix frame drops during the first few seconds of motion detection recordings
  • Fully working OpenIPC
    • Pull requests to have FH8830 officially supported by OpenIPC project
    • Please support them. They are taking a good approach to building aftermarket IP camera firmware.
  • HomeKit Secure Video (HKSV) doorbell support directly on the doorbell

Attachments

smtasci

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Followed David's how to page on 101 and managed to swap the firmware on my EZVIZ to HikVision build 200321 as suggested. Swapped the SSID back to the EZVIZ as I preferred the app on my iphone. I saw a few people did the same and everything works so far through the app.

I've swapped over to the Hikvision firmware as I wanted to use the ONVIF on my Reolink NVR. This is where I'm stuck. I can't get the video to load on my NVR. I can view the video via VLC as a RTSP stream but when I try through my NVR it just constantly says connection failure. I've used the following details User: Admin, Password: (6 digits on my doorbell). The IP address shows as <IP Address>:80 when it shows in my list of cameras.

Not sure if I've missed a step along the way? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Followed David's how to page on 101 and managed to swap the firmware on my EZVIZ to HikVision build 200321 as suggested. Swapped the SSID back to the EZVIZ as I preferred the app on my iphone. I saw a few people did the same and everything works so far through the app.

I've swapped over to the Hikvision firmware as I wanted to use the ONVIF on my Reolink NVR. This is where I'm stuck. I can't get the video to load on my NVR. I can view the video via VLC as a RTSP stream but when I try through my NVR it just constantly says connection failure. I've used the following details User: Admin, Password: (6 digits on my doorbell). The IP address shows as <IP Address>:80 when it shows in my list of cameras.

Not sure if I've missed a step along the way? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Make sure your video is not Encrypted. You can change it in your App.

smtasci

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure your video is not Encrypted. You can change it in your App.
Thanks for the speedy response. Just tried that and still not working. You’re right it was showing as encrypted in the app but unfortunately no difference on the NVR. Still showing as failed connection.

I’ve read a few other forums that seems to suggest that Reolink is notoriously bad at ONVIF support for other brand cameras. I’ve possibly picked the worst brand for this sort of task. On the up side they’ve literally just announced a doorbell cam this week that solves all my problems. By the looks of it they have both a WiFi and POE version available. Google and Alexa compatible, NVR compatible, pet/car detection etc. Not too bad price wise either.

I’ll keep playing around with this one just in case it’s something simple like a setting. And I’ll post again if I manage to sort it just in case anyone else is having a similar problem.

Thanks again

BeerNut

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a RCA doorbell I'm wanting to give away. What's the best way to factory reset and remove my account associated with the camera so someone else can use it?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a RCA doorbell I'm wanting to give away. What's the best way to factory reset and remove my account associated with the camera so someone else can use it?
remove it (delete the doorbell from the app)

then press the reset and hold the button on the back of the doorbell.

Last edited:

mattman

n3wb
Reaction score
Careful when resetting/playing with these or giving them away...you really need to be sure to unbind it from your hik account. Mine is bound to a "visitor"account I used (tried to avoid the hik account from day one) from a lost/formatted phone so I can't ever use it with another app, ever, they say. Spent two hours with their support and even got into the "certified installers" support queue, they basically said I need to turf the unit, they can't ask to remove a serial# from their server and their tools (SADP, hik-connect app, etc etc) can't get it disassociated with the corrupted/broken guest account. It's a VERY simple fix in theory, but there seems to be no pathway, even as installer, to get it requested/done. I have full access to the device/password/can reset it and have tried every firmware and every software version- nothing can unbind it from the defunct "guest" account that was used to set it up. I realize the whole point here is to get off their awful cloud anyway, but it's useful/necessary for testing to have the option of allowing it to work with a hik cloud account, despite the fact that we'd all rather figure out hot to catch button presses in other ways and integrate the video and two-way audio without them.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Careful when resetting/playing with these or giving them away...you really need to be sure to unbind it from your hik account. Mine is bound to a "visitor"account I used (tried to avoid the hik account from day one) from a lost/formatted phone so I can't ever use it with another app, ever, they say. Spent two hours with their support and even got into the "certified installers" support queue, they basically said I need to turf the unit, they can't ask to remove a serial# from their server and their tools (SADP, hik-connect app, etc etc) can't get it disassociated with the corrupted/broken guest account. It's a VERY simple fix in theory, but there seems to be no pathway, even as installer, to get it requested/done. I have full access to the device/password/can reset it and have tried every firmware and every software version- nothing can unbind it from the defunct "guest" account that was used to set it up. I realize the whole point here is to get off their awful cloud anyway, but it's useful/necessary for testing to have the option of allowing it to work with a hik cloud account, despite the fact that we'd all rather figure out hot to catch button presses in other ways and integrate the video and two-way audio without them.
You almost have to think of these DBs like a Locked Phone. It needs to be Unlocked by properly removing ALL registrations to all clouds it has ever been connected to. Which is a pain. Had a friend here buy a used one and he could never set it up since the previous owner never properly removed their account from the cloud. Support could not help, as you experienced. He sent it back...

There is no way we have found to set these up initially than to register it their cloud.

My advise would be to leave the DB registered and change the Login to a generic Login and share it with whoever you are giving/selling it to. You should be able to remove it from any Apps you used. As you mentioned, the serial# is registered in their cloud, doing it this way allows the new owner to just change the login and use whatever App they want to use.

I really need to add this as a warning in the 101...

Last edited:

maxp

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for this very insightful thread! I installed the recommended HikVision build 200321 on my EZVIZ db1. It works very well! The only thing is that the IR sensor is way to much sensitive, it triggers for everything. Is there a way to make it less sensitive so that it only trigger when someone is walking toward the door and not crossing on the sidewalk (see picture attached) ?

Attachments

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for this very insightful thread! I installed the recommended HikVision build 200321 on my EZVIZ db1. It works very well! The only thing is that the IR sensor is way to much sensitive, it triggers for everything. Is there a way to make it less sensitive so that it only trigger when someone is walking toward the door and not crossing on the sidewalk (see picture attached) ?
Check your App, There was a PIR range you could adjust.

maxp

n3wb
Reaction score
Check your App, There was a PIR range you could adjust.
Would you have the name and version of the app where I can find this setting? I have been downloading all evening old APKs of the Hik connect and Guarding Vision app but none let me update any settings. When I load the settings it's telling me that device version is not supported.

The only app where I have access to settings is the current EZVIZ app but no PIR setting...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would you have the name and version of the app where I can find this setting? I have been downloading all evening old APKs of the Hik connect and Guarding Vision app but none let me update any settings. When I load the settings it's telling me that device version is not supported.

The only app where I have access to settings is the current EZVIZ app but no PIR setting...
Sorry for late reply, so I checked my EZVIZ App and looks like they took it out. This is the Hik-Connect App which is what I was stating...

Which DB do you have? You may need to go back to a prior firmware, use the Hik App, or Guarding Vision, which ever has the PIR option, set your DB range, then reload the Hik firmware. I know this sounds like a pain but may be the only way to set PIR. Sorry i am not much help, I use Blue Iris for motion and not the DBs PIR. It was ok but BI works great for me...plus I have DeepStack running too...

HTH

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, so going by 3 years of memory :), the LaView ONE App had the PIR setting. Don't know if it still does but looks like the same old App I used way back.

From our 101

CONFIGURING DOORBELL TIPS:
⦁ Software (Windows) used to configure Doorbell include: iVMS-4200 (I personally like version 2 legacy), Batch Configuration Tool (BC Tool 101 Help)
iVMS-4200 for MAC, Batch Configuration Tool for MAC
(NOTE: In the Batch Config. Tool, If your Doorbell shows Offline hit Refresh to bring it Online, Sometimes in iVMS-4200 the CCD section does not show up.)
⦁ Other useful Hikvision Tools
EZVIZ PC Studio Software (Has Batch Config. Tool built in)
⦁ Frame Rate: (FPS); the default is 15, to change to Full Frame (30FPS) in iVMS-4200 or Batch Config. Tool under Remote Configuration/Image/Video & Audio - JoshJ
⦁ Using iVMS-4200 or Batch Config. Tool in the Remote Configuration/CCD section you will be able to turn WDR On/Off, change brightness, contrast, etc.
⦁ Available Apps (Allows Remote Access):
iO/S: Hik-Connect, RCA Security, EZVIZ, LaView One, Guarding Vision
Android: Hik-Connect, RCA Security, EZVIZ, LaView ONE, Guarding Vision
⦁ Android 9 Hik-Connect Setup Help - Dewcal
⦁ In App be sure and change Hi-Def to Ultra HD

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Sorry for all the messages. So Hik awhile back made it to where you can only be connected to one App at a time, except Guarding Vision, I believe. Anyway, which means we were forced to remove/unregister our DB and Add it to the new App we wanted to use. This was mainly for EZVIZ and Hik-Connect. Don't know if that is still the case since Hik-Connect App use to be available on the Play-Store. So much has changed over the years.

Just beware, as mattman stated:

This can be tricky. Just be sure and don't unregister, you should be able to just remove the DB (device) from the EZVIZ App and hopefully add it to the Hik-Connect App. If this works, change the PIR setting then remove the DB from the Hik-Connect App and add it back to the EZVIZ App.

Little note on the PIR setting. We use to have like a 4 or 5 foot setting, then 7 foot and then 15, really can't remember, but in order for my PIR to work the way I wanted I had to go with the shortest 4-5 foot setting. Of course that only got people right when they were at the foot of our porch. This stopped all the big truck false alarms for me until I setup Blue Iris...Be sure and test it pretty good before you go back to EZVIZ App.

maxp

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all your support! I finally found a way to update the PIR setting. It's buried in the EZVIZ app, you have to navigate to Alarm notification and enable it. Once it's enabled, a new menu appear where you can setup the distance for motion sensor. I'll try with this, if I still have too many false positive I will go the Blue Iris route.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all your support! I finally found a way to update the PIR setting. It's buried in the EZVIZ app, you have to navigate to Alarm notification and enable it. Once it's enabled, a new menu appear where you can setup the distance for motion sensor. I'll try with this, if I still have too many false positive I will go the Blue Iris route.
So I am running version 5.7.3.0824 of EZVIZ App (Android), there are hardily any options left. Sorry, I don't hardly use the App so I have not checked it like I use to.

shoulih

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My Doorbell is HSDB2 running LaView firmware build 190716; Device got deleted from EZVIZ app on Android phone, but can't add it back.
Any workaround or new or better app that I can use?

TIA