New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
very nice... cant wait for a review....
My review/comments will be a bit delayed, that is with my son's wedding this week/weekend and the Holidays next week. Plus I still need to get my Ethernet wire ran too, but I will still be able to share bench test results until the cable is ran. I will attach it to a patch cable from my front room and test where it will be installed. I am hoping to be able to get the cable down the wall my door is on, between the window and door. Thinking I can remove the trim Hardie board and there will be the open area for me to run the cable in where there is sheetrock on the inside between the door and window:

1670895063853.png1670895400655.png

Depending on the Placement Test, thinking I may move the Doorbell up a bit from where the existing Doorbell is, we will see.
1670894975150.png1670895614362.png

This is my Doorbell presently, I do get good facials where it is, so may just leave it at that height.
Thinking of kids and their reach...
1670895800439.png

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
My review/comments will be a bit delayed, that is with my son's wedding this week/weekend and the Holidays next week. Plus I still need to get my Ethernet wire ran too, but I will still be able to share bench test results until the cable is ran. I will attach it to a patch cable from my front room and test where it will be installed. I am hoping to be able to get the cable down the wall my door is on, between the window and door. Thinking I can remove the trim Hardie board and there will be the open area for me to run the cable in where there is sheetrock on the inside between the door and window:

View attachment 148041View attachment 148043

Depending on the Placement Test, thinking I may move the Doorbell up a bit from where the existing Doorbell is, we will see.
View attachment 148040View attachment 148044

This is my Doorbell presently, I do get good facials where it is, so may just leave it at that height.
View attachment 148046
perfect.. good luck. really looking forward to a good POE review. (i already have Cat6 to the door, just waiting for a poe doorbell that doenst suck)

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 148041View attachment 148043

View attachment 148040View attachment 148044

View attachment 148046
does that area where u drew the arrow feel hollow with the knock test.

its gonna be tight. it may be framed in around on both.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
does that area where u drew the arrow feel hollow with the knock test.

its gonna be tight. it may be framed in around on both.
So I just tried the knock test, hard to tell since I know there is 2x4s for the door frame there, and for the window too. I think you are right, I bet all that is behind there is 2x4s We added the shutters after we bought the house. I just measured and there is probably 4 inches between window and door which would be two 2x4s leaving no gap in between. I may need to rethink this before removing the trim. Also, hoping I can us the existing power wire for my existing doorbell to pull up an ethernet cable. I will need to attach a pull string to the wire and get up in the attic to see if I can pull it up, hopefully they did not stable it...

This is why the WiFi Doorbells are so popular...

This is the Sellers picture:
1670897596779.png

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
So I just tried the knock test, hard to tell since I know there is 2x4s for the door frame there, and for the window too. I think you are right, I bet all that is behind there is 2x4s We added the shutters after we bought the house. I just measured and there is probably 4 inches between window and door which would be two 2x4s leaving no gap in between. I may need to rethink this before removing the trim. Also, hoping I can us the existing power wire for my existing doorbell to pull up an ethernet cable. I will need to attach a pull string to the wire and get up in the attic to see if I can pull it up, hopefully they did not stable it...

This is why the WiFi Doorbells are so popular...
yea, just like i thought.

also, the cable is going to be stapled, so dont think thats gonna work to well as a pull string

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yea, just like i thought.

also, the cable is going to be stapled, so dont think thats gonna work to well as a pull string
Yeah, then add my 10 foot ceilings, I have firewall horizontal 2x4s all throughout our house in all 10 ceiling rooms. Had to cut several sheetrock to get cables down :(

Though with the trim board I may be able to tuck a flat ribbon cable behind it, don't know.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, then add my 10 foot ceilings, I have firewall horizontal 2x4s all throughout our house in all 10 ceiling rooms. Had to cut several sheetrock to get cables down :(

Though with the trim board I may be able to tuck a flat ribbon cable behind it, don't know.
dont think those flat ribbon cables are good for POE.

Will it work.. prob.

Last forever... prob not.

you are better off just leveling the house, and pre wire correctly with the new build.

Last edited:

mrxyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My goal was, just like what I did with the Yoosee, to stop the doorbell from connecting to any cloud / vendor related service, but still have it fully functional. What I did with the Yoosee was connecting to the UART port, changing some things on the flash drive, have some of my own applications running, have the doorbell calling me on telegram when somebody presses the doorbell, etc. So I actually bought two of those devices. One for bricking and the other one for actual use :) First thing I did when they arrived was to screw it open and see if I can find the UART connectors. And I failed..... I wasn't able to remove the case without fear of breaking something, so it was time for option two: Let's see what Google says.

Based on what I read my approach will be as follows: use ONVIF to receive doorbell press notification events and then use my USB relay to use my old chime. Then use ONVIF/RTSP to get the video stream. Biggest challenge will be 2-way audio. For that I'd have to reverse the protocol used by the app and send the audio via that way. I took a quick look yesterday and from what is described by neolink, some fields changed. If the protocol itself didn't change too much it will be definitely doable.

Freddan101

n3wb
Reaction score
Received my POE doorbell today and tried to add it to BI. Used the Find/inspect option but no automatic config is made and no picture is shown. Both IP and user/pwd double checked. Can't find any option in the Reolink app that needs to be enabled to allow remote access.

Any hints are welcome.

1671113025723.png

mrxyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Received my POE doorbell today and tried to add it to BI. Used the Find/inspect option but no automatic config is made and no picture is shown. Both IP and user/pwd double checked. Can't find any option in the Reolink app that needs to be enabled to allow remote access.

Any hints are welcome.

View attachment 148257
You might need to open RTSP, you can do that if you go with your browser to the IP of the doorbell and look in the settings menu.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For those interested. This github repo (neolink) works with the doorbell. I'm able to send audio to the device :) No need to reverse the protocol anymore.
What audio are you sending to the device? Talkback microphone from the BI mobile app? Audio from Home Assistant?
Also, how is the delay/performance compared to using the native Reolink app for audio?

mrxyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What audio are you sending to the device? Talkback microphone from the BI mobile app? Audio from Home Assistant?
Also, how is the delay/performance compared to using the native Reolink app for audio?
There is no difference in performance as Neolink uses the proprietary Reolink protocol. Audio source can be anything in theory.