New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have one of the reolink dome cameras at my front door currently while I wait for the doorbell to arrive, their P2P service is the fastest I have found in regards to alerts and always accurate with people. I know someone is at my door before they are 3 feet from the doorbell and it only has about 8-10 feet at most to identify and notify me of it before that. Pet detection is still in beta and I often have the dome send me a push telling me my wife is a person, then immediately afterwards says she is a pet. Blue Iris has thought she and my 4 year old daughter were a dog or a cat, so it may be catching the door swinging or may be the angle that the camera is at also.
Using any p2p opens you up to vulnerabilities. Reolink P2P Cameras - (I)IoT Security News you cannot trust any of these china manufactures to implement a secure p2p setup.

sdipcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looking for a doorbell poe cam. I am familiar with their camera and app, is all the functionality youd expect there? Like I would expect the following:
1. get notified to reolink app when a person rings the doorbell and be able to talk to the person
2. have it upload recordings to ftp

And also, do I need BI with this or it can work without it?

I actually ordered one just now since its $80 for black friday and didnt want to miss out on saving $10.

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using any p2p opens you up to vulnerabilities. Reolink P2P Cameras - (I)IoT Security News you cannot trust any of these china manufactures to implement a secure p2p setup.
I completely agree, I have mine firewall segregated into a separate VLAN with access to the internet but not my regular internal network or my NVR. It is currently dedicated to only announcing front door, recording to SDCard and being accessed via P2P on the web. I do have loopback enabled so I can access it from my LAN on my cell phone only, but it can’t get to my LAN or NVR network. P2P should be only used when you know how to segregate and separate it from your internal network properly.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
LOL! I didn't know what P2P meant in their literature. I thought it was some kind of SIP mode. I looked it up after reading your reply. I know little bit more now. :)
I've never used Blue Iris, but my NVR has talkback support. I think it needs a camera that supports SIP. I was wondering if anyone had tried the talkback functionality through their NVR or Blue Iris with this camera. Right now I have a front door camera that supports talkback, but I can only talk back to someone using the (ancient) iOS app that came with the camera--the talkback protocol seems to be proprietary and doesn't work with my NVR.
Watch this for feedback on the audio talk back features. You will likely need to use their app.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking for a doorbell poe cam. I am familiar with their camera and app, is all the functionality youd expect there? Like I would expect the following:
1. get notified to reolink app when a person rings the doorbell and be able to talk to the person
2. have it upload recordings to ftp

And also, do I need BI with this or it can work without it?

I actually ordered one just now since its $80 for black friday and didnt want to miss out on saving $10.
Yes you can do all of those things with the Reolink app.

cm.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Surely we can use the BI app? I can already hear from and speak via my hikvision cameras.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Surely we can use the BI app? I can already hear from and speak via my hikvision cameras.
I don’t use it that way (just use Reolink app) but would be willing to try. How did you set that up?

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From Reolink Customer Support after I asked for updated firmware that allows constant framerate and setting the iframe:

Reolink said:
Thanks for your updated information.

We know that currently, the 8MP cameras have the option to choose a fixed frame rate, which is not available on the Doorbell cameras yet.

We will submit a request to our developers. But we still need some videos for analysis as well.
If it's convenient, would you please send us one or two recordings of the night vision in High resolution so we could analyze them? That would be helpful for us to make improvements to the new firmware as well.
They asked for some sample night videos to use as examples and I shared a few. Hopefully this firmware comes soon with this relatively simple fix.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Good info;

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good info;

Well look who is in that Forum, our old friend from Italy:

1669778880264.png

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good info;

Geesh. Thanks for the link. Now I have a full scrypted server/bridge setup with my cameras for HomeKit integration. That occupied me for a few hours last night.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From Reolink Customer Support after I asked for updated firmware that allows constant framerate and setting the iframe:

They asked for some sample night videos to use as examples and I shared a few. Hopefully this firmware comes soon with this relatively simple fix.
They followed back up and said they are considering adding fixed frame in near future.

“Reolink” said:
We will consider adding the option to set the fixed frame rate in the further version.
Please stay tuned.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They followed back up and said they are considering adding fixed frame in near future.
I emailed Reolink support with the same framerate/iframe request but got a more generic response:

Thanks for your valuable feedback.
I will definitely forward your feedback to our R&D department.
They will check the feasibility and whether we will receive similar feedbacks.
If possible, they will add the feature in the future