New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe you can configure the doorbell for push notifications in the WebUI settings of the doorbell. I imagine your doorbell will need to be able to get out to the Internet as well.

I don’t allow my cameras to be able to get out to the internet, so I get around this using cam2mqtt + HomeAssistant.

With cam2mqtt I can easily monitor for doorbell presses and forward those payloads to HomeAssistant. With HomeAssistant aware of these doorbell presses, I am then able to have HomeAssistant send me a push notification when someone rings the doorbell.

I run WireGuard VPN as well, so my phone is always connected to my house. When I see the push notification for doorbell press, I just open up the Reolink app and use 2-way audio.

@Michael James I don’t know if that’s too complex for your taste but I think your other option would be to ensure your doorbell is able to get out to the Internet and then configure the native Push feature in the doorbell’s WebUI
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know why Reolink just doesn't update their Android and iOS software to allow the app to pop up when the doorbell is
pressed. Seems so easy! FYI: I'm using OpenVPN. I just figured out last week how to implement OpenVPN at the Asus router level and turn off port forwarding..so Im getting there.

tumtumsback

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know why Reolink just doesn't update their Android and iOS software to allow the app to pop up when the doorbell is
pressed. Seems so easy! FYI: I'm using OpenVPN. I just figured out last week how to implement OpenVPN at the Asus router level and turn off port forwarding..so Im getting there.
Do you not have push notifications working?

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you not have push notifications working?
I do. It doesn't pop the app up. If you are on a lock screen, I see the message pop up on the phone. If I tap on the message, nothing happens. I then unlock the phone and go into Notification Settings, then scroll down to the message and tap it, it then opens the Reolink app up. Too many steps

tumtumsback

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do. It doesn't pop the app up. If you are on a lock screen, I see the message pop up on the phone. If I tap on the message, nothing happens. I then unlock the phone and go into Notification Settings, then scroll down to the message and tap it, it then opens the Reolink app up. Too many steps
Ahh I see … I think if you use Frigate (which supports 2 way audio) in conjunction with Home Assistant, you might be able to streamline that flow faster.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Close to mine; disconnected existing mech. chime altogether and ran transformer secondary to both Reolinks, using the 2 furnished plug-in chimes, 1 paired to side door, 1 paired with different sound to front door.
Using RMTP on 1, RSTP on other, both to BI as a test, no HA.
Just curious--how does the Reolink doorbell camera unit communicate the Reolink-provided plug-in chime unit? Is it over IP? Does the plug-in chime need to be configured for WiFi?

Or is it some other wireless protocol? BlueTooth? RF?

The user guide doesn't reveal much:
1709080323546.png

tumtumsback

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just curious--how does the Reolink doorbell camera unit communicate the Reolink-provided plug-in chime unit? Is it over IP? Does the plug-in chime need to be configured for WiFi?

View attachment 187960

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks!

Does anyone know if a doorbell will trigger its paired chime if it's powered up, but has never had its networking configured, and is not connected to a network?

I'm refurbing a rental property, and I'm wiring things up for various future purposes. I'm thinking I want to run Ethernet to the door for a video doorbell, because it would be an attractive feature for a renter, but I don't want to manage it myself.

So if I buy a doorbell/chime package and provide only power to the doorbell with a passive POE injector, but don't hook it up any network, and plug the chime into power, will it work like a "regular" doorbell until a future tenant decides to set up a network?

Obviously the camera won't work, but will the chime . . . chime?

tumtumsback

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks!

Does anyone know if a doorbell will trigger its paired chime if it's powered up, but has never had its networking configured, and is not connected to a network?

I'm refurbing a rental property, and I'm wiring things up for various future purposes. I'm thinking I want to run Ethernet to the door for a video doorbell, because it would be an attractive feature for a renter, but I don't want to manage it myself.

So if I buy a doorbell/chime package and provide only power to the doorbell with a passive POE injector, but don't hook it up any network, and plug the chime into power, will it work like a "regular" doorbell until a future tenant decides to set up a network?

Not sure but worth a shot — you could order it on Amazon prime and if it doesn’t work send er back.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

View attachment 187960
It's RF, I think like 433MHz IIRC.
@fenderman paired another compatible set as found on amazon:

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks!

Amazon has it for $100, but Reolink currently has it for $80, and coupon code HAMMER took $4 off for some reason, so I'm out the door for $83.21 with tax and free shipping.

This Reddit post confirms that a passive POE injector will NOT work with this unit, but a variety of active 802.3af injectors will. I can't buy this nifty $8 Ubiquiti guy without paying $10 for shipping, and amazon has only 5-packs and 10-packs, but I did find a different $12 model with Prime that is well-reviewed, so I'm all equipped for $95, and it should all arrive within a week.

I'll report back with findings.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tumtumsback

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Amazon has it for $100, but Reolink currently has it for $80, and coupon code HAMMER took $4 off for some reason, so I'm out the door for $83.21 with tax and free shipping.

This Reddit post confirms that a passive POE injector will NOT work with this unit, but a variety of active 802.3af injectors will. I can't buy this nifty $8 Ubiquiti guy without paying $10 for shipping, and amazon has only 5-packs and 10-packs, but I did find a different $12 model with Prime that is well-reviewed, so I'm all equipped for $95, and it should all arrive within a week.

Does your Amazon not show the coupon?

Attachments

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

So when you purchase from Amazon from an Amazon link here on IPCT will get:

If you look at Amazon links here in the post you will see ?tag=ipctk-20 added to the end of the link...It is a way to contribute to this great Forum...

1709208342761.png

I believe you could add this to the end of all your purchases...

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So when you purchase from Amazon from an Amazon link here on IPCT will get:

If you look at Amazon links here in the post you will see ?tag=ipctk-20 added to the end of the link...It is a way to contribute to this great Forum...

View attachment 188105

I believe you could add this to the end of all your purchases...

Ah, I missed that. I'll use it next time.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually, now that I've looked again (again), I did see it, but I misunderstood it. I thought it was $99 after the coupon, not $99 minus the coupon. ‍:facepalm:

I'd have had it my hands by now if I'd read that correctly. As it is, it's coming by US Ground from TX, so I won't get it until Wednesday, and I won't have the option to return it at Whole Foods or Kohls if I don't want it. I should have canceled and re-ordered, but it's too late now.

tumtumsback

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually, now that I've looked again (again), I did see it, but I misunderstood it. I thought it was $99 after the coupon, not $99 minus the coupon. ‍:facepalm:

I'd have had it my hands by now if I'd read that correctly. As it is, it's coming by US Ground from TX, so I won't get it until Wednesday, and I won't have the option to return it at Whole Foods or Kohls if I don't want it. I should have canceled and re-ordered, but it's too late now.
All good!

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all, also considering this DB. Read through page 40 but didn't see an exact answer to my Qs (and my eyes are bugging out), so figure I'll just ask:

1. Am I correct that even on home LAN, you cannot get notifications in the reolink app when DB button pressed without their paid cloud?
2. I saw Daniel's post about HA, but I don't have that for my smart home. Does the DB button press come through as an onvif event so I could setup Blue Iris to handle the notifications?
3. Assuming #2 is possible: If using RTMP like folks suggest, can I still get onvif events? Or am I stuck with either solid connection with RTMP and no events, or spotty connection with RTSP but with events?

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hav ejust bought this doorbell and have blocked all cloud access. I have managed to setup the doorbell and get the camera added to BI. The bits i'm struggling with is getting 2 way audio working. I have home assitant which picks up the button press and can then alert alexa, alert mobiles via push notification and all sorts. Just need to get 2 way audio working!!! then it'll be the perfect doorbell for me!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The bits i'm struggling with is getting 2 way audio working.
Just need to get 2 way audio working!!! then it'll be the perfect doorbell for me!
I suggest you email Blue Iris support at support@blueirissoftware.com and ask for it as several IPCT members, including myself, have done; maybe if Ken gets enough requests he'll incorporate it into Blue Iris.

tumtumsback

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all, also considering this DB. Read through page 40 but didn't see an exact answer to my Qs (and my eyes are bugging out), so figure I'll just ask:

1. Am I correct that even on home LAN, you cannot get notifications in the reolink app when DB button pressed without their paid cloud?
2. I saw Daniel's post about HA, but I don't have that for my smart home. Does the DB button press come through as an onvif event so I could setup Blue Iris to handle the notifications?
3. Assuming #2 is possible: If using RTMP like folks suggest, can I still get onvif events? Or am I stuck with either solid connection with RTMP and no events, or spotty connection with RTSP but with events?
1.) from what I can tell, yes, for the reolink app to be able to notify you of doorbell press, you need the doorbell to be Internet connected
2.) yes comes through as a visitor ONVIF event, but I had issues where sometimes nothing would register at all or it would register with a ton of latency which is why I configured cam2mqtt to capture button presses
3.) honestly don’t know — just order on Amazon prime and try it out and if it doesn’t work the way you need it to send it back

tumtumsback

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hav ejust bought this doorbell and have blocked all cloud access. I have managed to setup the doorbell and get the camera added to BI. The bits i'm struggling with is getting 2 way audio working. I have home assitant which picks up the button press and can then alert alexa, alert mobiles via push notification and all sorts. Just need to get 2 way audio working!!! then it'll be the perfect doorbell for me!
Use the frigate add on in HA for 2 way audio via HA. There are YouTube videos showing exactly how to set it up: