New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Opps, forgot to mention.

Was running old firmware on the Doorbell cam and was able to detect motion on the Dahua NVR (little red guy showed up on TV). And was able to set audio detection recording.

Once i upgraded to newer firmware, all of this stuff stoped and i can only record 24/7 :confused:

Any ideas to get motion detection on a Dahua NVR?

Thanks in advance ;)
You could always load back the older version of firmware that worked for you.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just got cable run for data and POE to where the Wifi version is mounted.

I may have misunderstood this from DavidL "Not to confuse you but the WiFi version support both WiFi And Wired (Just not POE)."

I thought it mean that the Wifi model, at a higher price, will do Wifi with wall-wart or transformer power OR POE.

If not, could I use an ethernet splitter and pull just the POE off on one side and connect it to the terminals?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just got cable run for data and POE to where the Wifi version is mounted.

I may have misunderstood this from DavidL "Not to confuse you but the WiFi version support both WiFi And Wired (Just not POE)."

I thought it mean that the Wifi model, at a higher price, will do Wifi with wall-wart or transformer power OR POE.

If not, could I use an ethernet splitter and pull just the POE off on one side and connect it to the terminals?
So do you still have the existing Doorbell wire that is connected to your transformer at your Doorbell location?

With the WiFi version you can use either the WiFi interface or the Ethernet interface for Data. So if you have Ethernet cable ran to your Doorbell location and still have the existing wire from your Doorbell, you could connect power from your transformer to the DB terminals and use the Ethernet cable to connect to your NVR.

There is NO POE on your WiFi DB.

Last edited:

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sigh.

The Wifi works, and I want that option, but they really should have implemented both.

It's mounted on a metal exterior wall, so it's a pain to implement a separate power source.

I'll have to run a pair of wires alongside the CAT 6 (inside the wire cover shells) to carry the power.

The closest AC outlet is about 20' away (down the wall then around the perimeter of the porch).

A project for tomorrow ...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sigh.

The Wifi works, and I want that option, but they really should have implemented both.

It's mounted on a metal exterior wall, so it's a pain to implement a separate power source.

I'll have to run a pair of wires alongside the CAT 6 (inside the wire cover shells) to carry the power.

The closest AC outlet is about 20' away (down the wall then around the perimeter of the porch).

This is a cheap 80-100 dollar doorbell that has more function and features than more expensive doorbells. Why should they charge more because they need to include a poe module or wifi module for someone who will never use it? This is precisely why they sell two models. Why would you need wifi if you have ethernet?
Why dont you simply return the wifi model and by the poe version?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sigh.

So to answer this question:

"If not, could I use an ethernet splitter and pull just the POE off on one side and connect it to the terminals? "

POE is great in that it uses 1 pair (2 wires) of the 4 pair (8 wires) of an ethernet cable to pass thru power. 2 pair of the 4 pair is for Data.
I can't speak for ethernet splitters since they are suppose to be used to split data, but I would assume there may be a splitter that does what you are asking about out there.

So the answer to your question is YES you can split off a pair of the CAT6 you ran to use for power.

One question, where does the other end of the Ethernet cable you ran go to? There you would need to have Power, you could use the Power brick that came with your WiFi DB.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is a cheap 80-100 dollar doorbell that has more function and features than more expensive doorbells. Why should they charge more because they need to include a poe module or wifi module for someone who will never use it? This is precisely why they sell two models. Why would you need wifi if you have ethernet?
Why dont you simply return the wifi model and by the poe version?
Future alternatives in the same device. I'll rig an adapter to make it do as I need it to do. It's more fun that way anyhow.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So to answer this question:

"If not, could I use an ethernet splitter and pull just the POE off on one side and connect it to the terminals? "

POE is great in that it uses 1 pair (2 wires) of the 4 pair (8 wires) of an ethernet cable to pass thru power. 2 pair of the 4 pair is for Data.
I can't speak for ethernet splitters since they are suppose to be used to split data, but I would assume there may be a splitter that does what you are asking about out there.

So the answer to your question is YES you can split off a pair of the CAT6 you ran to use for power.

One question, where does the other end of the Ethernet cable you ran go to? There you would need to have Power, you could use the Power brick that came with your WiFi DB.
Yes, I'd attach the power from the provided power supply somewhere further up the CAT 6 line - where AC power is more readily available. Thanks.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I'd attach the power from the provided power supply somewhere further up the CAT 6 line - where AC power is more readily available. Thanks.
So ideally you could use the CAT6 to connect (2 pair for Data) to your DB (eliminating WiFi) and use a pair (say brown/white brown) to connect to the terminals for power on your DB.

On the other end use the same pair for Data to connect to your NVR and the 1 pair you used for power to connect to the power brink.

The most standard wiring for Ethernet used is T568B

This would be how you would make the ends for Data:
1694869750445.png
1694869380999.png

You would leave the Blue and Brown pairs out, you could use either one of those pairs for Power.

Though truthfully is does not matter what pairs you use as long as they are the same on both ends of your CAT6.

HTH

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@David L - Cool.

Would it have any impact on data signal quality?

(As I understand POE it shares data lines then the power is blocked from entering the data circuitry - the power is diverted to the appropriate area).

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@David L - Cool.

Would it have any impact on data signal quality?

(As I understand POE it shares data lines then the power is blocked from entering the data circuitry - the power is diverted to the appropriate area).
Actually wiring your DB to your NVR is much better than using WiFI which uses RF (Radio Frequency) to communicate and is prone to other radio interference.

The Best solution is as @fenderman suggested, if you return the WiFi version and get the less expensive POE version, you have the wire already ran, just wire all 4 pair on each end and use your NVR's POE port and you don't have to do all that I suggested in my previous post.

The jackets for each wire help protect data when sending power through a different pair when using POE.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually wiring your DB to your NVR is much better than using WiFI which uses RF (Radio Frequency) to communicate and is prone to other radio interference.

The Best solution is as @fenderman suggested, if you return the WiFi version and get the less expensive POE version, you have the wire already ran, just wire all 4 pair on each end and use your NVR's POE port and you don't have to do all that I suggested in my previous post.

The jackets for each wire help protect data when sending power through a different pair when using POE.
Ain't no fun in that! lol Amateur Radio is a hobby and many of us like to adapt things.

I sure appreciate everyone's help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ain't no fun in that! lol Amateur Radio is a hobby and many of us like to adapt things.

I sure appreciate everyone's help.
Just admit that its outside your return period or there is another reason why you cannot return....if you want to adapt something why not build your own doorbell? Did you remove the POE module from your POE cameras and "adapt" them as well?

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, I picked up one of these to test, and if I like it I will keep it. Got it from Amazon.ca and it was $100 as there was a $30 coupon... anyway, easy returns if it doesn't work out.

This is a long thread, I wasn't able to read all posts, but so far I'll post my experience and have a few questions.

Out of the box, on a POE drop, ran a networks scan and saw Reolink (my only Reolink device), so popped the IP into the browser and logged in.
Has the latest FW v3.0.0.2033_23041302
login: Admin
Pwd: blank
It did not prompt to change password, was surprised
I'm glad it has web interface, really I don't plan on using app, as I am using with BI
You have to enable RTSP and ONVIF, not on by default
Stream quite limited as it's either 2560x1920 or 640x480, no other options (surprised)
Limitation on FPS, 20 tops (surely this is software locked, likely capable of more)
I am actually testing it indoor in order to replace a wyze camera. I really wish I could get a POE cube camera that could pulll off this resolution/FOV.
FOV is great 180 degrees, larger than the Lorex 2K doorbell which I have in front (and I think is 165 degrees).
Works well, so far so good, will test some more.

Question(s)
Any chance this works with SmartPSS? I tried, but no go, maybe there is a hack?
Are there any other colour faceplates available? (I actually would like to use it in the side yard, I don't know if I can get cat 5 there though, but sun would be on it a lot)
I see that for this price, there really aren't really any other POE doorbell cameras better than this.

Thanks and cheers!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Question(s)
Any chance this works with SmartPSS? I tried, but no go, maybe there is a hack?
Are there any other colour faceplates available? (I actually would like to use it in the side yard, I don't know if I can get cat 5 there though, but sun would be on it a lot)
I don't use SmartPSS, have you tried different ports?
Have not seen different color faceplates, etsy.com may be a place to check or a 3D printing site, there are several 3D mounts out there. You could always paint it...