New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got one of these last week to replace a ringdoor bell, I'm going to send it back. The notifications on Android at proper CRAP, no pop ups, same noise as a regular message, no way to change the sound, does not support more than 1 chime. I've been missing deliveries now for a few days because no one with the mobile app realises it is the door, and not a whataspp message or text notification. Stupid software, lack of forward thinking. Why not allow more than 1 chime? Why not use a pop up notification like Ring doorbells? Sending back, rubbish!

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
reolink support told me they have no plans to add support for more than 1 chime, also there is no plan to develop different sound notifications or pop ups. And I through it was going to be much better than ring doorbell, what a waste of time...

Reaction score
After using the EZVIZ and just recently switching to the Reolink, I'm really surprised the Reolink doesn't have a doorbell pressed alert and popup to answer the call.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've got one of these last week to replace a ringdoor bell, I'm going to send it back. The notifications on Android at proper CRAP, no pop ups, same noise as a regular message, no way to change the sound, does not support more than 1 chime. I've been missing deliveries now for a few days because no one with the mobile app realises it is the door, and not a whataspp message or text notification. Stupid software, lack of forward thinking. Why not allow more than 1 chime? Why not use a pop up notification like Ring doorbells? Sending back, rubbish!
As they say...."Different strokes for different folks." :cool:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As they say...."Different strokes for different folks." :cool:
I can't speak for the native Reolink App, never used it. This Doorbell is definitely not your basic Ring Doorbell, the main reason DIYers love this Doorbell is there are so many options available in which you are not married to a cloud service.

Here is another option:

EyeOfSauron

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got one of these doorbells to replace a Nest Hello (wired 1st gen) and overall its seems like a winner due to the fact that I was able to set it up on a completely isolated vlan.

Few challenges:
  • 2-way audio not working in Blue Iris - anyone got it to work? Would be nice to be able to get alerts via the BI mobile app and be able to respond right there.
    • I saw that this works within Frigate, so it seems possible for BI to support this./
  • Audio volume is very low when live streaming via BI UI3. Makes it unusable for live monitoring of audio.
    It sounds much better when playing back already recorded clips. Adjusted gain in audio tab, did not fix it. It sounds fine in Reolink App.
  • Camera status in BI indicates GPU acceleration, but log message indicate it's not compatible: HW VA not compatible: 810. I set up constant framerate and i-frame of 1.
Here's my BI setup.
1696006658930.png

I was also able to get doorbell push triggers via the ONVIF Trigger "RuleEngine/MyRuleDetector/Visitor"

Last edited:

Bert Jones

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't know if it varies with the version of Android but on my phone if you open the Settings option of the Reolink app, not the Settings for the doorbell, you can change the Notification sound and it's associated Notification settings ie vibrate etc. I've changed mine to a much louder sound and it uses it. Make sure you have the latest version of the Reolink app as I tried to do this with an earlier version and although it let me select a new sound it didn't use it! After updating to the latest version and doing it again it does use my selected sound.

I agree that it should pop up the notification and allow you to answer it even with the screen locked, as you can do with phone calls.

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got one of these doorbells to replace a Nest Hello (wired 1st gen) and overall its seems like a winner due to the fact that I was able to set it up on a completely isolated vlan.

Few challenges:
  • 2-way audio not working in Blue Iris - anyone got it to work? Would be nice to be able to get alerts via the BI mobile app and be able to respond right there.
    • I saw that this works within Frigate, so it seems possible for BI to support this./
  • Audio volume is very low when live streaming via BI UI3. Makes it unusable for live monitoring of audio.
    It sounds much better when playing back already recorded clips. Adjusted gain in audio tab, did not fix it. It sounds fine in Reolink App.
  • Camera status in BI indicates GPU acceleration, but log message indicate it's not compatible: HW VA not compatible: 810. I set up constant framerate and i-frame of 1.
Here's my BI setup.
View attachment 173581

I was also able to get doorbell push triggers via the ONVIF Trigger "RuleEngine/MyRuleDetector/Visitor"
For Audio I use RTSP AAC Alternate Decoder
Live Audio works great for me, give it a go.

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

How accurate are the ONVIF trigger events, is it accurate at detecting human movement? I am using it indoors with BI motion sensing and I'd rather it not get triggered by the curtains getting moved by wind :)

EyeOfSauron

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For Audio I use RTSP AAC Alternate Decoder
Live Audio works great for me, give it a go.
I will give it a shot, I actually saw some improvement on this, possibly due to BI restart/upgrade.

How accurate are the ONVIF trigger events, is it accurate at detecting human movement? I am using it indoors with BI motion sensing and I'd rather it not get triggered by the curtains getting moved by wind :)
I am only using it for capturing the doorbell press for now. I don't want to depend on Reolink's motion detection. I will either use BI's motion trigger + CodeProject AI, or use one of the zwave motion detectors to trigger when someone is on the porch.

Seeing some weird delays with the trigger occasionally (should be instant IMHO), so I will be doing some more testing on this.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you considered AI with BI?

There are custom models that only detect Persons. I even had my AI detecting Delivery Trucks (USPS, Amazon, UPS, Fed-Ex) at our old house...

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't speak for the native Reolink App, never used it. This Doorbell is definitely not your basic Ring Doorbell, the main reason DIYers love this Doorbell is there are so many options available in which you are not married to a cloud service.

Here is another option:
I'm torn between the Dahua VTO2201F doorbell and the Reolink POE doorbell camera. Which one do you think has better video quality? The Dahua is pretty mediocre in terms of video quality - it's 2MP with a pretty small sensor. The footage I've seen in reviews seem like Reolink might actually have the upper hand in video quality.

Add to this, the IR LED control of the Dahua doorbell is not available, which really sucks.

Anyone with both that can chime in?

suzukifd

n3wb
Reaction score

Few challenges:
Here's my BI setup.
View attachment 173581

It's funny I figured out the doorbell push today as well. I am trying to figure out the two-way audio myself but with no luck. Have you had any? I know people who have the amcrest doorbells can get the audio to work

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's funny I figured out the doorbell push today as well. I am trying to figure out the two-way audio myself but with no luck. Have you had any? I know people who have the amcrest doorbells can get the audio to work
Email support and request it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Few challenges:
Here's my BI setup.
View attachment 173581

Email support and request talk support.
The push trigger is great info, thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why dont you do a bit of searching. You CAN have more than one chime. I have a post in THIS thread that confirms it can be done (I have 3 chimes - the original plus two that I added). I got this info from another user who ALSO posted in THIS tread.
While I have never used the reolink app, it does support pop ups on ios, and i am sure they are working to resolve the issue on android as its mention all over the net. What you are missing is that most folks in this thread are not using it as you would use your ring. They are using this doorbell specifically to integrate with blue iris. They dont use the alerts via the native popup app and in fact dont want the device exposed to the net. They get their alerts directly via blue iris. This 80 doorbell outperforms 400-500 dollar bells.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
reolink support told me they have no plans to add support for more than 1 chime, also there is no plan to develop different sound notifications or pop ups. And I through it was going to be much better than ring doorbell, what a waste of time...
I think most here are hooking the reolink up to an NVR and not using the Reolink app.

Heck, I have never used the doorbell app to answer the door. I get up...and you know...go to the door to answer it. If I'm not home, I don't answer the door, like how you used to not answer the door when not home.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Heck, I have never used the doorbell app to answer the door. I get up...and you know...go to the door to answer it. If I'm not home, I don't answer the door, like how you used to not answer the door when not home.
What?
Get up.....walk to the door....AND open it?
Hmmm.... What a strange new concept!
</end sarcasm> :highfive:

Sometimes I miss they way things used to be.......back before cell phones, pagers...heck, even before answering machines!
Some how we got by, though.:cool:

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm torn between the Dahua VTO2201F doorbell and the Reolink POE doorbell camera. Which one do you think has better video quality? The Dahua is pretty mediocre in terms of video quality - it's 2MP with a pretty small sensor. The footage I've seen in reviews seem like Reolink might actually have the upper hand in video quality.

Add to this, the IR LED control of the Dahua doorbell is not available, which really sucks.

Anyone with both that can chime in?
This is a good video comparing the Doorbells...