New Server CPU utilization question

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Posted this at the blue iris forum too, just looking for some feedback.

Hey guys, just built a new i5-8400 (coffee lake) server, 16gb ram and 4tb WD Purple drive. I bought this for Unraid and am running Windows 10 with Blue Iris in a VM. i dedicated 2 cores and 4gb of Ram for 4 1080p cameras. I am using direct to disk and seeing about 75% CPU utilization on the 2 core, recording 24/7. Does that sound acceptable? I have the CPU with Intel Quick Sync for assisting but the VM doesn't support it yet. Just wondering if I am in the zone or not.

Sorry, forgot to mention, i am recording 4 Hikvision 1080p cameras.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Posted this at the blue iris forum too, just looking for some feedback.

Hey guys, just built a new i5-8400 (coffee lake) server, 16gb ram and 4tb WD Purple drive. I bought this for Unraid and am running Windows 10 with Blue Iris in a VM. i dedicated 2 cores and 4gb of Ram for 4 1080p cameras. I am using direct to disk and seeing about 75% CPU utilization on the 2 core, recording 24/7. Does that sound acceptable? I have the CPU with Intel Quick Sync for assisting but the VM doesn't support it yet. Just wondering if I am in the zone or not.

Sorry, forgot to mention, i am recording 4 Hikvision 1080p cameras.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Blue iris should be installed on bare metal. There are users who have had success getting HA to work in a VM Running BI in Virtualbox, will Intel hardware acceleration work?
you have a VERY light load and you could run a separate 3-6th gen i5 machine at less than 10 percent with maybe 20w or so power consumption...you can buy a 3rd gen machine for 100 bux and a sixth gen for under 200.

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks fenderman, i will have a look at that. appreciate your response.

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
fenderman, how much will QuickSync drop CPU utilization?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman, how much will QuickSync drop CPU utilization?
it will vary, but you could expect about a 30 percent reduction. Note that while 6th gen and higher processors support h.265 acceleration and BI release notes indicate it has been implemented, I dont think anyone has been able to do it...it will vary by camera and intel drivers...so if you are using h.265 it may not matter to you, at least not yet.