New setup 2 Cams and NVR

Reaction score
So a good friend of mine who I work with has 2 of the battery wifi cams and recently had a shooting in front of his house. ** I told him its cheaper to move lol** The shooting was 2 cars that happen to drive down his street not from anyone living around them.

So he wants me to help run hardwire cams and get a much better system. He wants to get 2 to start for out front but then add 2 or 3 later for front and back. He sent me this set up as what he was looking for. I have done a few Amcrest installs and have nothing bad to say about them easy interface and setup kind of simple stupid. That is what he really needs simple stupid since he not good at all with technology.

This is the Cam he looking at then he found this set and wants this. I am not worry on the HD since I have access to them at whole sale price. Let me know what you think and if there something better.

AMAZON Link

House info is 2 story Row home Cam will be placed at floor level on 2nd floor for easy wire due to cable TV ran there. I also added a photo of the street view and the house is the star he wants to see cars coming in and out of the street. this but the 1st goal is right out front of his house.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That system will be useless on a 2nd story. He would be able to OBSERVE something happened, but never be able to IDENTIFY. Does he want to read plates? That is a different camera as well.

To identify someone with the 2.8mm lens that is popular in these kits, someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings. Most to all of that distance is lost just vertically installing them too high.

1604638118196.png

My neighbor was bragging to me how he only needed his four 2.8mm 4k fixed lens cams to see his entire property and the street and his whole backyard. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away. His system was a 4K Lorex system from Costco and after seeing that my 2MP cams were blowing his 4K away, he started replacing the cameras with 2MP versions.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

Main keys are you can't locate the camera too high (not on the 2nd story or above 7 feet high unless it is for overview and not Identification purposes) or chase MP and you need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who. Also, do not chase marketing phrases like ColorVu and Full Color and the like - all cameras need light - simple physics...

If you want to see things far away, you need optical zoom, digital zoom only works in the movies and TV...And the optical zoom is done real time - for a varifocal it is a set it and forget it. You cannot go to recorded video and optically zoom in later, at that point it is digital zoom, and the sensors on these cameras are so small which is why digital zoom doesn't work very well after the fact.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On a real computer, study this Cliff Notes and this Wiki.
it's not as simple as slapping up a camera and calling it good.
You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

Also study this attachment, and all the links provided in it.
Amcrest is simply Dahua rebranded, with features removed to lower the price.

Attachments

Reaction score
On a real computer, study this Cliff Notes and this Wiki.
it's not as simple as slapping up a camera and calling it good.
You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

Also study this attachment, and all the links provided in it.
Amcrest is simply Dahua rebranded, with features removed to lower the price.
Thanks yes I did know it was a rebrand but like I said I have done a few of amcrest and for simple low maintenance I like them. The interface is easyer then others I have try to show to some of the people I have installed these for.

I will look over the,attachment tonight at work thanks.

Reaction score
That system will be useless on a 2nd story. He would be able to OBSERVE something happened, but never be able to IDENTIFY. Does he want to read plates? That is a different camera as well.

To identify someone with the 2.8mm lens that is popular in these kits, someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings. Most to all of that distance is lost just vertically installing them too high.

1604638118196.png

My neighbor was bragging to me how he only needed his four 2.8mm 4k fixed lens cams to see his entire property and the street and his whole backyard. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away. His system was a 4K Lorex system from Costco and after seeing that my 2MP cams were blowing his 4K away, he started replacing the cameras with 2MP versions.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

Main keys are you can't locate the camera too high (not on the 2nd story or above 7 feet high unless it is for overview and not Identification purposes) or chase MP and you need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who. Also, do not chase marketing phrases like ColorVu and Full Color and the like - all cameras need light - simple physics...

If you want to see things far away, you need optical zoom, digital zoom only works in the movies and TV...And the optical zoom is done real time - for a varifocal it is a set it and forget it. You cannot go to recorded video and optically zoom in later, at that point it is digital zoom, and the sensors on these cameras are so small which is why digital zoom doesn't work very well after the fact.

Hi thanks for all the info I will show him and see. I was trying to explain the lenses to him but he did not get it. I also try to explain that just becuse its a kit dont mean its perfect. Thats why I was using that link to show him the cams and how the look would be. He older and thinks everything he reads is 100% fact. So of somone says on Amazon comment this cam does it all he takes it to the grave lol.

As far as care plates he to set on having them 100% seen. At least not in the price range he looking for. His house to the street is short so he not trying to see 100ft away. Here is a vid from his blink battery cam, this is why he wants better cams and more recording time. This is the 3rd time this month that this has happen. The car in front of his driveway is how far he really wants to see and the cars. This is also about the same location he wants hard wired cams. I'm going to see if I can get an NVR and 2 cams better in his price and explain he can get more later. He trying to stay at or under 350 total.

Attachments