New Setup

Petro49er

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

We had an incident a couple of weeks ago where my kids were awoken with large rocks being thrown through their windows. Unfortunately, we didn't have any cameras up at the time and have nothing to go on so that has led me to this forum. We are looking for a solution to cover the exterior of our home. I'm confused as to whether we should use something like Blue Iris and a PC or an all in one NVR type of system. I plan on pulling cable through the attic to have it all hard wired. I do have an extra PC lying around with an Intel i3 4170 in it. As I am thinking it will take 8ish cameras to cover the exterior of our home, would this PC be sufficient for my intentions or should I go in a different direction. Our home is 4000 sq ft., mostly on one level with a basement that has a couple of windows. Any suggestions would be helpful. We are also planning on installing a security system, but I may need to post that in a different sub forum.

Thanks for any suggestions!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

We had an incident a couple of weeks ago where my kids were awoken with large rocks being thrown through their windows. Unfortunately, we didn't have any cameras up at the time and have nothing to go on so that has led me to this forum. We are looking for a solution to cover the exterior of our home. I'm confused as to whether we should use something like Blue Iris and a PC or an all in one NVR type of system. I plan on pulling cable through the attic to have it all hard wired. I do have an extra PC lying around with an Intel i3 4170 in it. As I am thinking it will take 8ish cameras to cover the exterior of our home, would this PC be sufficient for my intentions or should I go in a different direction. Our home is 4000 sq ft., mostly on one level with a basement that has a couple of windows. Any suggestions would be helpful. We are also planning on installing a security system, but I may need to post that in a different sub forum.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Read the wiki top...blue Iris is far superior to a standalone NVR....
Consider dahua starlights turrets....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Doubtful, my kids are 5, 3, and 1 month. I'm in the midst of ordering the Cat 6 cable to run throughout the house and I will look at cameras after that.
ensure you use copper cable not CCA/copper clad aluminium.