New shop alarm system

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello all, wireless ring or Honeywell vista? I will pulling wires for some cameras in a new still under construction personal shop and was asked by the owner about a alarm system. I suggested the ring alarm because I have one in my own house and find it affordable, reliable, easy to install and easy to use.(wife loves it too) On the other hand I think I should Rough in wires for a wired alarm just in case. I don’t have much experience on wired systems so it would take some time for me to program it and add the envista internet module, troubles etc. Any Thoughts on this ? Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all, wireless ring or Honeywell vista? I will pulling wires for some cameras in a new still under construction personal shop and was asked by the owner about a alarm system. I suggested the ring alarm because I have one in my own house and find it affordable, reliable, easy to install and easy to use.(wife loves it too) On the other hand I think I should Rough in wires for a wired alarm just in case. I don’t have much experience on wired systems so it would take some time for me to program it and add the envista internet module, troubles etc. Any Thoughts on this ? Thanks
If you have the opportunity to wire it under construction, do so.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As Fenderman stated, if you have the ability to wire I would do it. I have a Honeywell alarm system (I think they're now sold under the Resideo brand name) that is hard wired in. You're also able to add wireless sensors to areas down the road if they find an area they want covered.

Reaction score
22/2 is the wire gauge for simple door/window sensors
18/4 for glass break detectors and PIR.
18/6 for control pad if one will be out in the garage area (though, not suggested for security reasoning)
(pretty sure of the 22 and 18 gauge wiring...it has been a couple years since I did the DIY route)
Recommended to be all unshielded. I had all the gauges of wire in my workshop but they are all shielded. So far, I see no irregularities using shielded vs unshielded.
Best to toss in some Cat6 in the shop. Network A/V receiver, network smart tv, wireless access point, computer...sure doesn't hurt to have a cable or 5.

I have an AP, 32" smart tv, network a/v receiver, 2 PIR's, 4 IP cameras, future smart garage door sensor, future smart home (home assistant related) wires , all in my 22'x22' wood working shop. I mean, who doesn't like watching Bob Ross while doing a hobby? :)

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unless you get the Honeywell system with the graphic touch screen, they are not user friendly.

DMP is the most user friendly, easy to program, and they can run one or two loops (depending on model) of hardwired smoke/heat detectors.

But since you building your building, its better to hard wire than to go wireless. Less maintenance upkeep.

Hardwired alarms are not that hard to learn. It takes me about two days to train an non experienced employee how to wire them and technicians I trained catch on within the hour because my employer hires electronics techs

Last edited: