New SmartPSS win64

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
This is nuts! When I run the installer, I don't see the "Select Language" screen. It goes straight to the next screen. The installer is all english, then smartPss is all chinese.

According to the manual, there's a pull down box in the settings menu to change languages. Mine just shows a language with no pull-down to change it. It's like I'm hardcoded in Chinese. I'm stuck.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I was installing on a win 7 machine. I carried the install file over to a win 10 machine, same thing, straight to the 2nd screen of the installer, skipping the language select screen.

Ratfink11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1. Are both of you upgrading from the same earlier version of SmartPss? If not, that would suggest something in prior version is causing the issue.
2. You may end up completely unistalling SmartPss, including registry files, then starting over.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
redfive - The download from the 2nd location works the same as the first.

ratfink - I considered the prior version issue. Uninstall does leave a few leftovers behind and I cleaned up what I could find. The win10 machine I tried never had smartPss installed, so there's no prior version issue there.

End result: I downloaded and installed 64-bit V2.003.0000000.0.R.190802. It all went normally, runs in english, and gives me the option to switch language in the settings menu. I'm chalking this up to random software weirdness and sticking with the older version. My first impression is that it runs more smoothly than the 32-bit version. Thanks for trying to help, I just hate wasting time with things like this.

Ratfink11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So it looks like you worked it out? Until recently I was using SmartPss. PcNVR took a dump and stopped recording. Then crashes. I like SmartPss. And have been looking at resetting smartpss up or moving to BI. All my cams are dahua and the same model. So im not sure what dahua features I would be giving up? Verses moving to BI. I use IVS extensively with ptz cameras along with audio. I dont have a lot of time to try both... 64bit would help with speed. If either if you have thoughts on one or the other I would like to hear. Thx

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I worked it out by installing an older version of 64-bit smartPss. As for moving to BI, I don't see that as a black-and-white issue. I'm saying that as a long-term NVR+smartPss user who ran the BI demo in parallel for about a week. The real killer for me was that about half of my cameras don't send out IVS events over ONVIF. If you got your cameras from Andy in the last few years, they "probably" send the IVS events. You can verify that with onvif device manager. That issue aside, I'm highly versed in operating the NVR and smartPss, and parts of the UI in BI are very different, so I have the obstacle of unlearning and relearning. On the surface and intuitively, I sense the BI's UI is easier to deal with. My bottom line advice is to do what I did, temporarily set up a clean win 10 box with BI and try it out in parallel. Another thing I learned is that an older core duo machine doesn't have enough oomph to run BI properly. I'm thinking it needs at least a gen 2 core i3, i5, or i7.

Another fairly big issue I just remembered is that with BI you don't see the green boxes and IVS trip lines in either real time or playback. This is a pretty big loss for me, might mean nothing for somebody else. Some BI users say that BI's built-in motion detection is equal to or more powerful than IVS. I don't have a conclusion if that's true or not, but what I found is in BI it takes a lot of fiddling and tuning to make the motion detection competitive with line crossing or intrusion, compared with super-simple IVS setup. Veteran BI users may have learned how to set up the motion detection quickly and easily. For a beginner, at least in my case, it was pretty time consuming.

Ratfink11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I worked it out by installing an older version of 64-bit smartPss. As for moving to BI, I don't see that as a black-and-white issue. I'm saying that as a long-term NVR+smartPss user who ran the BI demo in parallel for about a week. The real killer for me was that about half of my cameras don't send out IVS events over ONVIF. If you got your cameras from Andy in the last few years, they "probably" send the IVS events. You can verify that with onvif device manager. That issue aside, I'm highly versed in operating the NVR and smartPss, and parts of the UI in BI are very different, so I have the obstacle of unlearning and relearning. On the surface and intuitively, I sense the BI's UI is easier to deal with. My bottom line advice is to do what I did, temporarily set up a clean win 10 box with BI and try it out in parallel. Another thing I learned is that an older core duo machine doesn't have enough oomph to run BI properly. I'm thinking it needs at least a gen 2 core i3, i5, or i7.

Another fairly big issue I just remembered is that with BI you don't see the green boxes and IVS trip lines in either real time or playback. This is a pretty big loss for me, might mean nothing for somebody else. Some BI users say that BI's built-in motion detection is equal to or more powerful than IVS. I don't have a conclusion if that's true or not, but what I found is in BI it takes a lot of fiddling and tuning to make the motion detection competitive with line crossing or intrusion, compared with super-simple IVS setup. Veteran BI users may have learned how to set up the motion detection quickly and easily. For a beginner, at least in my case, it was pretty time consuming.
Perfect, thats exactly what I needed to hear.
Im running new servers so hardware isnt an issue.

My biggest issue is being able to ask simple SmartPss Questions with people who know it. The biggest and only question that is super important to me is the ability to play a sound to the camera speaker output when IVS is triggered. If I could figure out a way to do this then im golden... I like all the features on SmartPss... Just not Dahuas documentation and website.

Just had a thought. I know Win10 had a language pack issue...1903? It might cause issues like this if I remember right. Im intentionally running windows 7 until I decide if im going to install Win Server or Win 10.

If you know of anyway to play a sound through the can speaker output during an ivs event please let me know... Im going to install the latest version of smartpss and give it a go... Ill report back...

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not able to help with playing a sound via the camera. I have brainstormed using an NVR relay output to trigger a sound but haven't actually done anything. My main machine is win7, so no win10 language issues there.

Ratfink11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tigerwillow, I wanted to ask regarding how Smartpss handles IVS vs Dahua cameras IVS. I noticed SmartPss has additional settings for the min and max box sizes such as detecting.
--- Just the volume size between the drawn large and small boxes.
--- Just the height
--- Just the width
--- Or both height and width.
My question is does SmartPss overide the camera settings or adds features to use within SmartPss?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
SmartPSS cant add any feature to the camera it doesnt already have. Make your settings on the a camera, use SmartPSS to view, manage, playback, download clips etc.

Midway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am considering installing SmartPSS and am interested in reviews of the latest Win64 release.

Is DH_SMARTPSS-Win64_En_IS_V2.003.0000001.0.R.200330 the most current release?

Is it safe? I get a Norton warning. Assuming it is safe, how is it working? I haven’t been able to find any comments on whether it is stable and bug free.

Thanks,

Ratfink11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Smartpss actually has those features.
IVS feature requires a large and small sized boxes to be drawn which dictates the size of the objects you wish to track. Dahua cameras with IVS also have this exact same feature.

The difference is SmartPss has an addition feature that pertains to the box sizes. It can look at and detect by shape of the boxes. Meaning if I want to track an animal then I make a rectangle box and select under SmartPss checkbox size and
I am considering installing SmartPSS and am interested in reviews of the latest Win64 release.

Is DH_SMARTPSS-Win64_En_IS_V2.003.0000001.0.R.200330 the most current release?

Is it safe? I get a Norton warning. Assuming it is safe, how is it working? I haven’t been able to find any comments on whether it is stable and bug free.

Thanks,
Im using the latest release. Its stable and seems to be working.

The only issue I am having is using it with an RDP Connection... (Remote Desktop). During video playback it crashes and SmartPss shuts down. This is more likely an RDP config issue... Still investigating. Using it locally works fine.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mine, often crashes during video playback @ 8X (even with only one 2MP camera)

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For some reason, mine just refuses to start now (worked fine for years). When it opens, it beeps 3X, but the app is nowhere to be found (not showing in task manager nor as an icon at the bottom). Uninstall fails as well and I've tried a system restore, but it still won't run. I'm stumped. And it now is beeping 3X every 5-10 minutes.

Ratfink11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have had some goofy things happen with smartpss from time to time... Any problems I have had have been during video playback, skipping around within the video, etc... And as mentioned remote running Smartpss.

Your Smartpss app seems to be corrupted. You need to unistall it and reinstall it.

Since add remove programs is not working you will need to do it manually.

1. Do a search on files and folders named smartpss and delete them.

2. Delete registry entries named smartpss. In the cmd line type regedit. Click find. Then type smartpss. Click ok. It will find each registry entry. Delete one at a time. Then hit the f3 key. (Find Next function) this will find the next entry, delete, f3.... Rinse and repeat.

3. Reinstall, Disable typical virus programs. This latest version is not windows signed. It will warn you that you are potentially installing unsafe software... Allow the program to install.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
after literally doing nothing to try to fix it over the weekend, it is now working. Who knows, but it is working won

SGCSECURE

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello . installed the DH_SMARTPSS-Win64_En_IS_V2.003.0000001.0.R.200330 with 8 Dahua Cameras and only two of them works
All of them have the same config but for the six of them i am getting FAILED TO OPEN VIDEO
Any suggestions ?

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello . installed the DH_SMARTPSS-Win64_En_IS_V2.003.0000001.0.R.200330 with 8 Dahua Cameras and only two of them works
All of them have the same config but for the six of them i am getting FAILED TO OPEN VIDEO
Any suggestions ?
Try a substream. Right-click on the image, stream-type and then sub stream