New system questions

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased a system from Andy and set it up on Friday. I am having a few issues and hope someone will be able to provide help. I will number them out as there is quite a bit I cannot find the answers too. I have the NVR8CH-8P-2AI as well as 7 IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 1/1.8" CMOS 4MP Turret Cameras.

1. On the nvr if I hit search, click on the day I am interested in reviewing, click on the camera to load clips, I filter it to view say vehicles only, then click on the lower right to see a list view of the clips. I double click on the saved clip to start viewing them. It only shows about 3-4 seconds of each clip while speeding through the list. If I do this via the browser, it plays the entire clip 15 second clip which I have setup. How can I fix this as I prefer viewing through the nvr as the video is smooth, on both browsers it's choppy.

2. Can anyone share good camera settings? Should AI SSA be turned on? Should smart motion detection be on? I will include a few screenshot of my settings.

3. Which app does everyone use? Lorex app cannot find this nvr so I am using easy viewer. Can I set up motion alerts to my phone for only certain intrusions/trip wires on each camera? Do you prefer to setup intrusion or trip wires?

Any other tips or tricks for a newbie is great. I appreciate anyone's help and will continue to read and educate myself via the excellent resource that this forum is. Hope everyone is having a safe and happy weekend!

Attachments

Last edited:

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also, any way to view my nvr on my computer at work?
I have a Asus router. Within that router you can turn on OpenVPN. Once you have OpenVPN setup on the router, download the OpenVPN app on your phone. While connected to your home WiFi on your phone, open your router webpage that’s used to configure it (Asus router.com). Go to the OpenVPN and download the setup to your phone and choose to open it with the OpenVPN app. It will then download the link to the OpenVPN. Now you turn on the OpenVPN when you’re away from your home and it’s like being at home on your WiFi. I use DMSS with no issues.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a Asus router. Within that router you can turn on OpenVPN. Once you have OpenVPN setup on the router, download the OpenVPN app on your phone. While connected to your home WiFi on your phone, open your router webpage that’s used to configure it (Asus router.com). Go to the OpenVPN and download the setup to your phone and choose to open it with the OpenVPN app. It will then download the link to the OpenVPN. Now you turn on the OpenVPN when you’re away from your home and it’s like being at home on your WiFi. I use DMSS with no issues.
You can use these same steps for your computer as well!

Reaction score
Set up another OpenVPN account ID on your VPN server named work_computer or whatever you want. Save the .ovpn file to a usb drive. Install OpenVPN connect on the work computer and import the profile using FILE. I can’t imagine your employer being ok with this unless you’re self employed, then I guess it doesn’t matter.

Reaction score
Yes that wouldn't be OK with my employer. I was hoping one of these apps may have a website login as well similar to my old nest setup. If not it's OK, just was hoping it may be possible. I appreciate your help

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can use the built-in P2P or port-forward, but many don't advocate for that and recommend something like OpenVPN.

There is a risk, it comes down to your acceptance level.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I cannot bring a work pc home, is there a workaround?
Perhaps use your mobile device.

Yes that wouldn't be OK with my employer. I was hoping one of these apps may have a website login as well similar to my old nest setup. If not it's OK, just was hoping it may be possible. I appreciate your help
Nest is sending the video to their cloud servers ..

For me, I just get a couple of cheap cloud cameras for the key frontdoor area if I want to see them on the cloud, and isolate the IoT network from the rest of my LAN.